1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

If toyota was to have a diesel......

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by BlueTaco07, Mar 16, 2011.

?

What diesel would tacomas fit best with?

Poll closed Apr 15, 2011.
  1. Cummins

48.5%
  2. Duramax

14.6%
  3. Powerstroke

5.2%
  4. Other

31.8%
  1. Mar 16, 2011 at 5:08 PM
    myname150

myname150 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oh the darn government...

What exactly is keeping them from being "EPA Certified"?

I see so many big rigs blowing out smoke clouds all the time here, i doubt the diesel in the hilux is that dirty.

2. Mar 16, 2011 at 5:14 PM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    North of Cali, South of Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd
    4.56 gears, rear trutrac,DT header, 235/85r16 Duratracs, 2nd filter pulled, inter.wipers, Cruise control, Factory alum. whls/winter tires(2nd set), Afe pro Dry-S , Dumbo eared flaps cut down.
    Big rig diesels have been cleaned up massively since 95 or so. You never see smoke from our 96 cummins 11L , but ,there are many older diesels still on the road.
    Currently all diesels have diesel particulate filters on large rigs newer than 2009 ,might be 2010. in 2011 or 2010(not sure) they are all have engine exaust fluid mandated, aka urea, to further clean them. My 2010 diesel passes no foul odor, yet people still want to call it a dirty diesel.

3. Mar 16, 2011 at 5:24 PM
    DaveS

DaveS Member

Member:
    Toronto, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport + Leather
    The main difference between European and US emissions standards is nitrate emissions - the standard is much tighter in the US.

Because a diesel extracts more energy from the fuel, the exhaust gases come out at a lower temperature than they do on a gas engine, which reduces the CATs ability to remove nitrates from the exhaust. A regular european diesel just cannot meet the US standard as a result.

The answer, as mentioned above isn't that complex - inject urea into the exhaust stream to convert the nitrates into ammonia which can be more easily processed by the CAT. The EPA argument is valid but plenty of manufacturers have figured out how to deal with it - why not Toyota?

4. Mar 16, 2011 at 5:43 PM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd
    4.56 gears, rear trutrac,DT header, 235/85r16 Duratracs, 2nd filter pulled, inter.wipers, Cruise control, Factory alum. whls/winter tires(2nd set), Afe pro Dry-S , Dumbo eared flaps cut down.
    these factors may decide, though indirectly at times;
    8600lb and under have more strict emissions , think daily driver instead of a work truck.
    Demand, notice that even jeep stopped making the diesel in the liberty after a yr or 2.
    Demand vs risk. They may not think its worth the money if we wont buy enough.

Clearly the diesel volkswagon shows to me that developing the diesel for the Tacoma is possible. I think if a Hino diesel could meet us standards, they wouldve tried to sell one here.i may be wrong , but if they developed onethey would break open the market and utterly own it. Rangers and nissan would rule the used lot.

5. Mar 16, 2011 at 5:51 PM
    Goober

Goober Earthlings are fun to watch!

Member:
    Utah - Why just have only one?
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Off-Planet AccessCab
  6. Mar 16, 2011 at 6:10 PM
    jerretxx

jerretxx Some do, others talk

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerret
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    cummins mounted in the bed!!!!

7. Mar 16, 2011 at 6:23 PM
    1bad10tacoma

1bad10tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Brewer Maine
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCLB Sport
    tonneau,tailgate lock, OEM cruise, Int. wiper, , mud flap mod,weatertech's,fj rims
    Over $4.00 a gallon for diesel forget it.

8. Mar 16, 2011 at 6:24 PM
    BlueTaco07

BlueTaco07 [OP] Super Mod!

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Panama city, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Looking
    we'd get like 28 mpg or better, or run on vegitable oil

9. Mar 16, 2011 at 6:31 PM
    scollins

scollins Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Renton WA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Ford F450 STX 6.7L Powerstroke
    Heh, I was just thinking last night if one could wedge the BMW I6 turbodiesel into the Tacoma engine bay. They put that engine in a 3 series, so I imagine it isn't all that heavy. Same engine hustles our X5 around pretty nice too.....

10. Mar 16, 2011 at 6:41 PM
    rme

rme Well-Known Member

Member:
    Savannah
    Vehicle:
    Green TACOMA
    XM, Panasonic Stereo, Headlights,Electric Ant,Toyota Deluxe Wheels, Rhino Lining, Cargo Rails
    Mercedes did when they had them but I think that model was discontinued...not sure though

11. Mar 16, 2011 at 6:44 PM
    rme

rme Well-Known Member

Member:
    Savannah
    Vehicle:
    Green TACOMA
    XM, Panasonic Stereo, Headlights,Electric Ant,Toyota Deluxe Wheels, Rhino Lining, Cargo Rails
    My Jetta (2004) and the 2010 model Jetta's don't use urea ULSD is it....

12. Mar 16, 2011 at 6:47 PM
    rme

rme Well-Known Member

Member:
    Savannah
    Vehicle:
    Green TACOMA
    If you put a diesel an American diesel in the TACO it would get around the chicken tax.....

VW has a diesel pick up in South America. Just produced this year...it's called the AMAROK and has the same engine as the 2010 Jetta....Will they bring it here is anyone's guess....

13. Mar 16, 2011 at 7:32 PM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    California,,, where is Godzilla when you need one :D

14. Mar 16, 2011 at 7:33 PM
    Mountaineer

Mountaineer Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD OR Double Cab Short Bed 4x4 6spd
    The Urea is injected into the exhaust stream and converted into ammonia which then reacts inside the catalyst to convert NOx.

Ammonia Reaction
    NH3 + NOx + O2 → N2 + H2O + CO2
    Urea Reaction
    (NH2)2CO → NH3 + HNCO
    HNCO + NOx + O2 → N2 + H2O + CO2

http://www.branchenv.com/nox/scr_technology.html

Tacoyota, you are correct. Most "heavy duty" diesels in commercial trucks are certified by an engine dyno process. Vehicles under 8500 lb GVW (and some in the range of 8500-14000 lb GVW) certify on a chassis dyno as part of the vehicle. These standards (currently Tier2 Bin5 for California) are very difficult to achieve. I believe when T2B5 was first implemented many manufacturers dropped out, at least temporarily. I think the Liberty with the 2.8L VM engine stopped and best I could find, the Cherokee is no longer made in the US with a diesel.

The certification cycle is very dependent upon the "cold bag" portion of the cycle so warming up the catalysts is critical.

Although most manufacturers are moving to SCR, the current Cummins 6.7L uses an alternative NOx reduction technology. It may be similar to what the VW is using. The vehicle characteristics have a huge effect on ability to meet emissions. Vehicle test weight, aerodynamics, rolling resistance, etc.

Manufacturers are concerned that by the time you put an HPCR fuel system on a diesel (vs a gasoline injection system) and the level of aftertreatment including the soot filter to remove particulates and smoke, and combine that with the current cost of diesel fuel, it can be tough to make the economics work. What they miss is that there is a huge following looking for clean, efficient diesels in the light truck market.

Sorry for the long winded response but this is close to my heart. :cool:

15. Mar 16, 2011 at 7:37 PM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd
    All good, i sorta know them , just not in full accuracy , but clearly you know the actual details, specs etc.Thanks

16. Mar 16, 2011 at 7:49 PM
    Mountaineer

Mountaineer Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Tacoyota - hope I didn't come off sounding smug.:eek:

You nailed it with your comments. It's just easy for me to ramble on the subject. First to market with a small diesel in the 1/2 ton class or smaller (Tacoma) could rule the market. :)

I think 30 MPG would be easily achievable with the right setup.

17. Mar 16, 2011 at 7:54 PM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd

no you didnt at all :). I like to get the more factual terms and such for things i know. Layman terms dont always cut it with me.

18. Mar 16, 2011 at 7:55 PM
    myname150

myname150 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Someone correct me, but my understanding from davidsfarm on youtube is as long as it is an oil (be it used cooking oil, used motor oil or w/e) that will pass through the fuel injectors, it will run in a diesel engine?

I think he may have been over exaggerating a bit...lol.

19. Mar 16, 2011 at 8:07 PM
    kirkofwimbo

kirkofwimbo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clayton
    Wimberley, TX
    Vehicle:
    ‘21 Tundra SR 4x4
    I believe that Toyota could have diesel Tacomas coming off the lot next week if they wanted. I drove a N/A diesel LC Prado 5 spd manual in Costa Rica...thing was 4wd got what I estimated to be around 30mpg and drove mega sweet. Didn't really have alot of power with no turbo though, trying to maintain 50km/hr up the mountains back into San jose had it hummin almost at the redline for a good 20 minutes

20. Mar 16, 2011 at 8:10 PM
    Mountaineer

Mountaineer Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    I think that may be a bit of an exaggeration.

Ship engines run bunker fuel which is really heavy stuff but the fuel systems are huge and the engines run VERY slow.

Many people run bio-diesel blends, etc. but what you are concerned about from a combustion standpoint is the energy content of the fuel and the Cetane number (ability to autoignite). Variations in the fuel can cause lots of other issues like white smoke or gelling at cold temperatures, performance issues due to calibration errors between typical diesel fuel and what someone may want to run.

The more complex the engines get the more risk you have of running non-standard fuels.

Products Discussed in

To Top