1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

If you had to do it all over again...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by armpuller, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Dec 14, 2011 at 1:45 PM
    armpuller

armpuller [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    If you were to buy a brand new tacoma, what options and what add ons would you get and why? I am currently looking into buying one this summer or early fall and was wondering if you had to do it again what would you do. For me, some of the things I am looking at is an aggresive looking truck with a 3in lift and some performance upgrades, ie cat back exhaust and cold air intake. Would you get the base model and add on later, or would you get one with with an option package that has most of this in it (obviously you can't get the lift but it is a dealer option for me). I was looking at the xt-pro option that starts out with the TRD off-road option and adds the TRD beadlock wheels and the TRD cat back.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Dec 14, 2011 at 1:56 PM
    wmdpowell

wmdpowell Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Essex county NY
    Vehicle:
    23 trd OR DCSB 4x4 silver
    a cross on my rearview Circle mirror Scotch guard seats
    I went plain 4x4 regular cab. I like it fine after a year.

Get close to what you want and you will be happy.

3. Dec 14, 2011 at 2:07 PM
    Leggo

Leggo slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    Kenwood HU,Infinity Kappa speakers (x4), Infinity reference tweeters(x2),10" Kicker sub, Box by Subthump, Infinty Five channel amp,DVD anytime bypass, DTRL Mod, Xtang trifecta, Fogs anytime Mod, Bed Mat,Westin running boards, Console vault, Maglite mod, Weathertechs,Autopage remote starter, Power tailgate lock, HID Bi Zenon, Hella Supertones,Rain guards,Rear leaf TSB,Steering shaft TSB, Fisher Homesteader plow, 886 reverse lights mod, Redline Hood struts, Hankook Dynapro ATM LT265/70R17, power sliding rear window, Auto dimming/on anytime Bed lights, Blue Sea fuse panel & 100amp Breaker, de- badged,Rear headrest's removed, imMrYo mirror relocation,Homeroshi grill
    If I buy new, I get the best I can get first. I add to that later if I want. I don't sweat the money to much, I can always earn more. No, I am not rich, just in demand. Life is short. live it like it will be over soon. Make smart choices and try not to regret things.
    Buy the TX Pro and enjoy the hell out of it.

4. Dec 14, 2011 at 2:17 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I bought the last 2007 they had on the lot so buying the truck I did saved me a lot of money. If money were no object, I would have gone for a TRD Sport DCLB with the tow package, a URD s/c set up, Relentless Fab aluminum bumper, BAMF sliders, roof rack, the same ARE MX series shell, wet okoles with seat heaters. I'm not sure if I'd do the same lift or go with OME.

Given a clean slate with the same budget I've already spent, I don't know as if I'd do much differently. I wish I had the tow package but overall I'm pretty happy with the way I've got it set up.

5. Dec 14, 2011 at 2:22 PM
    SmoothFox

SmoothFox Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    DFW TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OFFROAD 4x4
    CBI Sliders,PIAA Lights, 5100's, 4 leaf pack.
    I ordered mine. Got the truck just like I wanted. White, 4x4, DC, TRD Offroad w/JBL. :yay:

6. Dec 14, 2011 at 5:06 PM
    MJG

MJG Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    North Bay
    Kenwood Nav system, Sub, etc
    I'd still get the access cab trd 4x4 offroad..so glad I chose it over the sport..the bulge in the hood would have bugged me by now..might have gone with leather and heated seats though..

7. Dec 14, 2011 at 5:12 PM
    ToyComa92

ToyComa92 Write your love, Then your anger.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Conifer, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma TRD sport Debadged
    Heated katzskin leather, Black TRD sport wheels, Bilstein 5100s, Toytec 2" Springs, Deaver 2" AAL, Pioneer AVH4400BH, Ultragauge, Weathertechs front/rear,
    I got exactly what i wanted, I wanted a sport... sucked i couldnt get the locker but i figure thats an aftermarket that i would rather do anyways. Double cab short bed super white 4x4

8. Dec 14, 2011 at 6:57 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    I'd buy exactly what I have, except I'd go automatic transmission. Tired of shifting and too many issues with the six speed. I think the TRD package is worth it just for the sport seats and locking rear end.

9. Dec 14, 2011 at 7:03 PM
    2011TacoBeav

2011TacoBeav Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bret
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 Sr5 v6 auto DCSB
    Self made rear bumper Colormatched Bush Wackers CB Center console lock box Camo seat covers Weathertech Digi blk Bilstein 5100s set at .85 Eibach coils LR UCAs Rear 1.5" block
    I got a 2011 sr5 access cab 4x4 stick four banger in black.

Thinking an access cab would mean I wouldn't have to drive much to do outings or hunting trips, etc. But I get stuck doing it anyway and it's way cramped with four adults in it. Also the four banger is gutless. If I ever decide I want a boat or need to pulling something I'll have to get a new truck

With that said...

I'd get a white 2012 sr5 4x4 double cab v6 with a stick

10. Dec 14, 2011 at 7:06 PM
    BigKyle

BigKyle Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Yorba Linda/Azusa, CA
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner SR5
    K&N CAI, Magnaflow Catback Exhaust, Pioneer Stereo + speakers, Moustache
    i would get a v6 manual so that i could make it into a desert runner. my current 4-cylinder is not great in sand.

11. Dec 14, 2011 at 7:07 PM
    BigKyle

BigKyle Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Yorba Linda/Azusa, CA
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner SR5
    K&N CAI, Magnaflow Catback Exhaust, Pioneer Stereo + speakers, Moustache
    year 2000 btw

12. Dec 14, 2011 at 7:15 PM
    k9cop

k9cop if your not the lead dog, the view never changes

Member:
    First Name:
    Farva
    Hogwarts
    Vehicle:
    10 tacoma dbl cab trd off road prerunner
    CST 3.5" spindles, King 2.5 rr ,All Pro Expo's, Ext. Billy 5100's rear, Ext rear All Pro brake lines, LR UCA's, debadged, Cobra 29,2ft firestick, satoshi by jim, ARB front bumper, Smittybuilt xrc8 winch, wethatecs, bhlm also by jimbob, belgium malinois and German Shepherd in bed
    i would get the 4x4 sr5. I changed all the stuff w/ a 3" lift anyway so why pay for the other?? jmo. At first I wasn't gonna lift the truck till i saw this site. then, i was in heaven and had to lift..lol. I do like the rr diff lock on the O/R but its only a prerunner so it's kinda like fartin in the wind. Haven't used it at all but perhaps one day it will serve it's purpose. Not a big wheeler either. just some light stuff cause...no 4x4. plus dd

13. Dec 14, 2011 at 7:28 PM
    monkeytaco

monkeytaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    2012 Mag Grey DCSB V6 4x4 AT Sport
    Get every available feature and you won't have anything to regret. We only regret the things we don't do :)

14. Dec 14, 2011 at 7:39 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    Strip 4x4 5sp reg cab, same as I have now, and modify to suit my needs.

I see too many threads of guys buying TX Pro and then replacing all the parts that make it more expensive than the TRD Offroad.

15. Dec 14, 2011 at 8:11 PM
    senor taco

senor taco ROLLIN ON RUST

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Monterey Bay, Ca
    Vehicle:
    O7 Tacoma PreRunner SR5
    17in fj cruiser wheels satoshi grille with devil horns emblem Single in double out 50 series flowmaster with stainless tips Kenwod ddx512 double din touch screen DVD reciver with a single Rockford fosgate 12 in sub with an alpine amp tinted tail and third break light silverstar head and fog lights k&n drop in Billy 5100's on all 4 corners with a 2"AAL
    If I could do it all over again, I would get a 2012 TRD sport preRunner access cab. fully loaded

16. Dec 14, 2011 at 9:09 PM
    Bosmob

Bosmob Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Access Cab SR5 I4 4AT
    Fat Bob's 2.75" front spacers Magnaflow Muffler Doug Thorley Header ImMrYo Mirror Bracket
    If I could go back in time... I would order:

2011 5 lug Access Cab SR5
    Timberland Mica w/ Beige Interior
    5-spd

17. Dec 15, 2011 at 3:04 PM
    armpuller

armpuller [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Looking at at the responses and I think I know what I want (for now). I think I want the DCSB with the sport option and get the cat back put on. Later down the road I will add a 3" lift and tires. I still got plenty of time to change my mind since I can't pull the trigger until late Aug or Sept.

Products Discussed in

To Top