1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Illuminated Ignition Ring Mod

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by JdevTac, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Dec 22, 2016 at 5:24 PM
    steveo27

steveo27 Ask me about my weiner

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Off Road & 1992 VW GLI
    The same shit everyone else has.
    Yep. Its on my list. Is the ring a bulb or an LED?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
    adio likes this.
  2. Dec 22, 2016 at 6:35 PM
    Up2NoGood

Up2NoGood Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jaimes
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Sport DCLB
    It's a LED lighting up the ring

3. Dec 23, 2016 at 9:55 AM
    Unchained 5150

Unchained 5150 Rick

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Auburn Ma
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Poser Pro Manual.
    Cool the new light they sent me works now.

BadDNA[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Jan 25, 2017 at 9:35 AM
    TRD Larry

TRD Larry trd larry

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    South Park, PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma Black,Sport,Premium and Tech Package
    Sport pedals,, Magnaflow cat back exhaust system,Kuhmo 275x55x20, Platinum #220 Abyss wheels 20x9.5. Under hood lights, OEM LED cargo bed lights, extra D-rings installed in bed, AC mod, diff. breather mod, OEM LED puddle lights and footwell lights, Homelink mirror, oil catch can, raptor grille lights, replaced chrome grille molding with black molding, tailgate lock/unlock and tailgate opener, console organizer, glove compartment organizer, Caliraised stealth LED light bar, TRD Cold Air Intake, Lighted cup holders, Meso extended fuse cover, Meso stage 1 tail lights, Meso switch panel, Door bowl lights. Anytime front and rear backup camera mod. TRD Pro Rigid fog lights.Door edge guards. TRD Pro shift knob with Boomer's TRD LED light (Red for security, blue for interior), Glass Break Sensor, sensor with LED light tied into the security LED light, OEM LED Headlights, Sequential LED Turn Signals.
    I know this is a old thread but I would like to do this mod for my 2008 TRD sport. I have read through all the pages and would like to know if anyone has done this mod in a 2nd gen Tacoma. Like a 2008, 2009.
    The part that worries me is replacing the transponder amplifier. I had problems with my truck and had to replace the transponder ECU unit about 1 year ago. From what I read this should have no effect on the truck starting.
    This is nothing more than replacing the ignition switch with one that is lighted. If I got everything right I need to order the Tundra part #89780-04011.

5. Jan 25, 2017 at 12:32 PM
    desertrunner24

desertrunner24 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Fresno , CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD offroad 4x4
    Some
  6. Jan 25, 2017 at 3:49 PM
    JdevTac

JdevTac [OP] Bawnjourno

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    GA/WA
    Vehicle:
    2nd gen
    You should have no issues. If you currently have a black colored amplifier piece then you should have no issues swapping in the lit version and adding the +/- pins for the LED. The transponder amplifier is basically just an antenna that relays the key info to the ECU as I understand so you should have no issues. It's not something that's specific to your ECU air anything. If you do have problems you would know right away after install cause your truck will crank then immediately shut off.

7. Jan 26, 2017 at 6:23 AM
    TRD Larry

TRD Larry trd larry

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    South Park, PA
    Vehicle:
    Sport pedals,, Magnaflow cat back exhaust system,Kuhmo 275x55x20, Platinum #220 Abyss wheels 20x9.5. Under hood lights, OEM LED cargo bed lights, extra D-rings installed in bed, AC mod, diff. breather mod, OEM LED puddle lights and footwell lights, Homelink mirror, oil catch can, raptor grille lights, replaced chrome grille molding with black molding, tailgate lock/unlock and tailgate opener, console organizer, glove compartment organizer, Caliraised stealth LED light bar, TRD Cold Air Intake, Lighted cup holders, Meso extended fuse cover, Meso stage 1 tail lights, Meso switch panel, Door bowl lights. Anytime front and rear backup camera mod. TRD Pro Rigid fog lights.Door edge guards. TRD Pro shift knob with Boomer's TRD LED light (Red for security, blue for interior), Glass Break Sensor, sensor with LED light tied into the security LED light, OEM LED Headlights, Sequential LED Turn Signals.
    Thanks Josh. I'm all too familiar with the truck cranking and not starting. Very bad experience and do not want to go through that again. You are correct. The transponder amplifier sends the code to the Transponder ECU who in turn sends it to the main ECU who interprets the code for the immoblizer and allows the truck to start or not. I do have the black colored amplifier so I think I am good to order the lit version. 1 more question, what pins do I need to order. Looking at Pin # 82998-24290 they are expensive. Can you tell me what Pins I need to order and if you have a place to order they from. Thanks Josh.

8. Jan 26, 2017 at 6:32 AM
    bear263

bear263 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 PreRunner TRD SP
    LED interior lights. Steering wheel mod. New radio. Amp, speakers and sub woofer.
    From the first post:

"NEXT you will need connectors for the OEM “Amplifier” harness. I sourced these from Mouser Electronics and was happily satisfied with their service, and was able to buy the pins in bulk to practice crimping. Part # for Mouser is 571-1123343-1."

9. Jan 26, 2017 at 3:57 PM
    TRD Larry

TRD Larry trd larry

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    South Park, PA
    Vehicle:
    The last time I checked on those pins from Mouser shipping was going to cost more than the price of the pins. I guess it is what it is.
    Thanks bear263.

10. Jan 26, 2017 at 4:19 PM
    orezona

orezona title unspecified

Member:
    satan's skillet
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD OR DCSB OMGWTFBBQ TL;DR
    WARRANTY VOIDED
    The way Mouser, DigiKey, ARROW works is they buy whole palettes of parts from manufacturers and then just sell the stuff on an "as needed" basis.

The price you pay per pin for 1,000 pins is going to be cheaper than if you buy 10 of them.
    And shipping is pretty much going to be flat rate so you won't be able to get away with it being in an envelope.
    We basically are paying for the "convenience" of the ability to buy one or two things when the original manufacturers wouldn't even talk to you if you weren't talking about thousands in one order.

You may alternatively try *shudder* Radio Shack. Where I live there is a "Frys Electronics" which has a crapton of stuff and they can order stuff for you if you need it.

If I wasn't totally scared shitless of electrical work on my truck I'd do this mod in a heartbeat. I've always been jealous of people who have the lit rings!
    Nothing like poking around in the dark trying to start the damn rig like a teenager on prom night... A lit guide is such an overlooked convenience that the OEMs really should put on everything. Jerks!

11. Jan 26, 2017 at 5:06 PM
    TRD Larry

TRD Larry trd larry

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    South Park, PA
    Vehicle:
    Went to order from Mouser and they have them on backorder. Not expected to ship until April. Mouser had the cheapest price and shipping of all of them. Guess that is why they are out of them.

12. Jan 26, 2017 at 5:36 PM
    JdevTac

JdevTac [OP] Bawnjourno

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    GA/WA
    Vehicle:
    2nd gen
    I'll try and find the post with the OEM pin part number. When I originally sourced my pins from mouser I did so mainly because I bought 3 different models to test which one fit best. I'd even bet buying 2x OEM pins is more expensive than when I bought 50x3 +shipping on Mouser. BUT the OEM are precrinped so no investing in a proper crimp tool that would cost you $~30.

Anyway let me find that post I know it's in here somewhere

13. Jan 26, 2017 at 5:38 PM
    JdevTac

JdevTac [OP] Bawnjourno

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    GA/WA
    Vehicle:
    2nd gen
  14. Jan 26, 2017 at 8:51 PM
    wsurunner

wsurunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Pyrite Mica DCSB
    I checked the price on one of the two pins listed in post #98 and it was something like $21.15 on Camelback Toyota Parts' website. That's a crazy price. I'll have to wait for the Mousers.

15. Jan 27, 2017 at 5:36 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    What if I has no keyless entry? Would it just be put the lit ring on and run the wires into dome light wiring? I would be doing the amber ring from the 2010-2016 4runner.

16. Jan 27, 2017 at 5:36 AM
    orezona

orezona title unspecified

Member:
    satan's skillet
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD OR DCSB OMGWTFBBQ TL;DR
    WARRANTY VOIDED
    DigiKey or ARROW don't have the pins?

Can't think of any other potential suppliers. EBay?

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  17. Jan 27, 2017 at 7:47 AM
    TRD Larry

TRD Larry trd larry

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    South Park, PA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks Josh, I was looking at pins from Mouser #571-1123343-1. I will check out pins #82998-24290.

18. Jan 27, 2017 at 7:50 AM
    TRD Larry

TRD Larry trd larry

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    South Park, PA
    Vehicle:
    I think pins #82998-24290 are super expensive, that was why I was looking at #571-1123343-1.

19. Jan 28, 2017 at 8:43 AM
    JdevTac

JdevTac [OP] Bawnjourno

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    GA/WA
    Vehicle:
    2nd gen
    I'm curious, if you have no keyless entry I'm assuming you don't have the immobilizer which would mean no harness. Yes you are correct in just hooking up +/- to the LED pins, but you will also need the immobilizer plug to add pins. I think the part number for that is in here somewhere. It's like a couple dollar part if I recall since I've bought one before.

But yeah you are correct and that essentially all the mod is anyway regardless of keyless entry...adding a +/- to the harness and plug n play after that.

20. Jan 28, 2017 at 7:13 PM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Reg Cab sr5 so no pwr windows or locks. Old fashion key in lock action so it be hooked up to work with dome/entry lighting, even if just run 2 wires to pillar dome wiring.

Products Discussed in

To Top