1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I'm starting to think the lift was a bad idea

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by 85yote09taco, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Sep 20, 2010 at 7:29 PM
    85yote09taco

85yote09taco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    York, PA
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD OR
    3'' OME lift, TRD CAI, Built Right UCAs, 285 Goodyear DURATRACS, black steelies, Fog light anytime, DTRL, Alternating turn signal, Diff breather relocated, Carrier bearing drop, Weathertechs, Bestop, Extended SS brake lines, CBI Sliders w/kickout, Cab mount chop, Total Chaos LCA skids, All Pro skids, Satoshi(HomerTaco), Bruteforcefab ''HC'' rear bumper, Bruteforce Hybrid front bumper
    JLink-I went 3'' Toytec 884 coils top plate spacer and a 2'' AAL in the rear

2. Sep 21, 2010 at 3:25 AM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    ok...u went w/ an OME lift. did you replace the shocks or just throw the coils on the stockers? and the spacer is the 1/2" lift one?

3. Sep 21, 2010 at 6:34 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Been there done that. Owned a built lifted jeep for 8 years.

I live in Lancaster area and most of the tacomas around here are driven by old retired folks. Nothing wrong with Jeeps. They're cool just the same.

4. Sep 21, 2010 at 4:01 PM
    85yote09taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    York, PA
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD OR
    3'' OME lift, TRD CAI, Built Right UCAs, 285 Goodyear DURATRACS, black steelies, Fog light anytime, DTRL, Alternating turn signal, Diff breather relocated, Carrier bearing drop, Weathertechs, Bestop, Extended SS brake lines, CBI Sliders w/kickout, Cab mount chop, Total Chaos LCA skids, All Pro skids, Satoshi(HomerTaco), Bruteforcefab ''HC'' rear bumper, Bruteforce Hybrid front bumper
    you live in the Lancaster area?

So you can make it to our greet and meet at Lake Redman right? check out the south central, PA greet and meet thread for the latest details!

5. Sep 21, 2010 at 8:30 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Ellipsis only has 3 periods...

Jackass.

:p

6. Sep 21, 2010 at 8:39 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    Yep, my 07 has it. Got it lifted 2" and have never had this issue.

7. Sep 22, 2010 at 3:05 AM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    still got my point across.................:D

go climb in your red phone booth...lol

8. Sep 22, 2010 at 2:29 PM
    85yote09taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    York, PA
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD OR
    Are you ready for this?

So the stealership had to get a lesson today on Stability Control which I don't know a whole lot about. After my request they wanted to ''diagnose'' my truck, with rates of $90 an hour I wasn;t having it. I told them that my VSC needed to be recalibrated and they told me that they don't do that kind of work because it is a ''No No'' I guess they were worried about a liabilty issue.

So now what do I do? One solution for now I guess would be to turn the VSC off every time I hop in the truck. I haven't had another issue since the first incident, but I have also been taking it easy around the corners

9. Sep 22, 2010 at 2:36 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    You probably made the right call. I'm guessing after an hour diagnostic, your dealer would come back with the following diagnosis:

"Aftermarket suspension lift interfering with normal operation of Vehicle Stability Control resulting in an unsafe condition. Advise to return to stock suspension and tires. Estimated labor 6 hrs. Estimated parts: (laundry list of factory parts that you now currently have in your garage)"

You should be able to do the zero point calibration, using the document others have pointed to, yourself with a jumper wire. I haven't done it myself. Honestly, I'm hoping not to have to.

10. Sep 22, 2010 at 2:39 PM
    85yote09taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    York, PA
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD OR
    alright well I guess I will start reading every thread on this site and get a good idea before I get to touching stuff. I never was good at electronics though

11. Sep 22, 2010 at 2:48 PM
    bjmoose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
  12. Sep 22, 2010 at 2:52 PM
    bjmoose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    The only reason I know anything about it is that 4 Wheel Part$ refused to lift my truck - they said they'd had to reverse a few lifts on Tacos "with the ABS control unit on the passenger side." So I was paranoid and read up everything I could on it before I ordered the lift parts.

The watershed for me was realizing that I've owned a *lot* of cars that never had VSC, and that I'd rather have the more capable off-road suspension than VSC, if it came to that. My suspension parts are still sitting in my garage waiting for me to install them - so I'm walking on eggshells waiting to see what will happen.

13. Sep 22, 2010 at 3:05 PM
    clankey

clankey Well-Known Member

Member:
    St. John's, NL
    Vehicle:
    2010 Double Cab TRD Sport
    Roof Rack, Soft Tonneau, Running Boards, DDM HID's, Skid Plate, 3" lift, 275/70R17 BFG AT TA's

Dude...if you have not had a issue since then....who cares.

14. Sep 22, 2010 at 4:48 PM
    bjmoose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    Another suggested "fix" you'll find if you keep searching is where someone fixed their Tundra by locating the yaw sensor (should be under the console or one of the seats) and jacking up the rear of it by putting a couple washers under the rear screw mounts.

This makes some sense if you have a levelling lift that changes the factory rake of the truck, though I suspect it's actually changing the sensor's reading in some other way.

Products Discussed in

To Top