1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I'm with Stupid (Me). Help me detail ...

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Ska Himself, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Jul 30, 2010 at 11:02 AM
    Ska Himself

Ska Himself [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    So I am dropping off the truck tomorrow to have the windows tinted - 5% on back, 30% on front (stupid WA State) and while the truck was in the shop, I wanted to have the dude's debadge her and buff her out for me.

However, that's an extra $200 worth of detail work that I don't have right the money for right now - 'specially since I just bought me a new Kel-Tec yesterday.

So that leaves me and my anal-rententive project driven ass with no other option than to do it myself.

I understand the basics of debadging:
    - Heat Gun (aka Wife's Hair Dryer)
    - Fishing Line
    - Goo Gone/ WD 40/ Dilluted Nail Polish/ Moonshine/ Whatever
    - Wash and rinse

My issue is the fact that I am sure there will be ghost paint behind the badges (truck is an '04, it's now '10 I think) and even if there isn't any paint issues my imagination will make me see them.

So question - what's the best way to go about waxing / buffing truck? I'm gonna do the entire truck - not just parts where I debadged it. Taking that into consideration, what the f' do I do?

I'm sure this exact question exists somewhere else ...

2. Jul 30, 2010 at 11:06 AM
    jjw1

jjw1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Citrus County Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 Super White DCSB TRD OR PreRunner
    Weather Tech Floor Liners, Truxedo Bed Cover, OEM Silver Step Bars, Debadged, Colormatched Satoshi, Wet Okoles, OEM Roof Rack, Bed Mat, Locking Gas Cap, and removed Mud Flaps
    clay bar 1st then polish with random orbital buffer/polisher use polishing or rubbing compound n then wax it...i had the same issue with takin pinstripe off!!! have fun seein how it usually is time consuming

3. Jul 30, 2010 at 11:30 AM
    Ska Himself

Ska Himself [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yeah - no shit right?

He told me $150 t debadge and my jaw hit the floor - especially when the last time they took off some decals, buffed and detailed the truck it cost me $75.

So f that noise.

4. Jul 30, 2010 at 11:32 AM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    Actually 35% transparency is WA state law so at 30% technically you would be illegal. It really depends on enforcement. I have had no issues with three vehicles I have owned in the last 5 years with 20% all the way around.

5. Jul 30, 2010 at 11:33 AM
    schiz94

schiz94 Thread Jacker

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Bellingham,WA
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Reg Cab
    Morimoto Projector Retrofit, alpine cda-105,Wheelskins leather wheel cover, wet okoles,5% tint on back and 24% on front two windows,Debadged tailgate,custom sockmonkey centercap decals, xr rims pced gloss black.
    hey lilredstud, when you took the pinstripe off did you just peel it off? and then goo gone. and then what> like what was your process? i wanna do this to mine but its a black truck and really done want it to show up.

Products Discussed in

To Top