1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

    You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

    As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

importing a US tacoma into Canada

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by bcmedic, Sep 9, 2008.

  1. Sep 9, 2008 at 12:00 AM

    bcmedic [OP] Well-Known Member

    Sep 3, 2008
    why do it you ask??

    USA - $26800 OTD
    Canda - $37600 OTD

    ive got a refundable deposit put down on a silver 08 double cab TRD Off-Road. just curious if anyone has brought one in and the hastle required to do so. any help would be great

  2. Sep 9, 2008 at 7:26 AM

    lakeside Member

    Jul 10, 2008
    Ottawa, Canada
    You should have a look here:


    Although it's really not that hard to imprt a vehicle you MUST comply with both Canadian and US border regulations. I was going to buy a Tacomo last year in Watertown, NY and researched the topic pretty well. It's the small things that can trip you up. I wrote an unofficial guide, here it is:

    (This guide is written with the understanding the buyer is completely responsible for completing all documents and adhering to applicable US and Canadian regulations. In addition buyers should be aware some automobile manufactures may not honour warranties in Canada on vehicles imported into Canada. Lastly, this is only a guide and isn’t meant to represent an official document for exporting a vehicle from the US into Canada)
    What vehicle can be imported?
    Generally, all automobiles and light trucks can be imported into Canada. Check here to see if you can import a particular make and model.
    What paperwork is required?
    Many US dealers near the Canada/US border are becoming familiar with selling to Canadians. The dealer should complete and deliver all the documentation required to US (Not Canada!) Customs.
    Check here:
    Do I have to pay state sales tax?
    No, but you still have to pay PST to the Ontario license bureau when you register the vehicle.
    Do I have to pay GST?
    Yes, you’ll have to pay GST by credit card to Canada Customs when you import the vehicle. Canada Customs accepts major credit cards.
    Will the warranty be valid in Canada?
    Each manufacturer is different so it pays to check. As an example, Toyota Canada will honour the remaining warranty on a vehicle imported from the US into Canada.
    What fees do I have to pay the dealer?
    You have to pay around $77 (see note 1) for the temporary transit permit to drive your car to the border and for the dealer to complete the required documents. Any other fees are between you and the dealer.
    Can I just go and buy a vehicle?
    Well, yes and no. You can buy the vehicle right then and there but US Customs requires 72 hours from when they receive the documents from the dealer to when you can arrive at US Customs to clear the vehicle and cross the border. US Customs will make you wait the 72 hours, so don’t go early!
    Do I have to show identification at the dealer when I sign the contract?
    Yes, You’ll need "three points of ID" as per New York DMV regulations, they can include:
    A valid provincial drivers licence;
    Major credit card;
    Valid Canadian passport; or
    Computer printed pay stub.
    When can I clear US Customs?
    Check with your dealer, but generally you can only clear US Customs between 0800-1600 Monday to Friday (not including holidays). Here’s the US Customs web site.
    What will it cost me to import the car into Canada?
    There’s a Registrar of Imported Vehicles (RIV) fee for vehicles which is $195 CDN payable to Canadian Customs by credit card only. You’ll also have to have daytime running lights installed as well as (for Ontario) getting a Ontario highway safety inspection done. If the vehicle is over five years, you’ll also need an Ontario DriveClean inspection.
    All this can be done at your local Canadian Tire.
    Import fee: $195 (plus GST only)
    Daytime running light modification: Labor: $89+ tax/ Parts $25 +tax
    Safety Inspection: $75
    Drive Clean: $30
    How do I know what needs to be modified?
    Within seven days of importing the vehicle you’ll receive a letter in the mail from the RIV indicating what needs to be done, bring that letter to Canadian Tire.
    What else besides daytime running lights will I need to get changed?
    The speedometer must register kilometers, which most new cars already do. There may be other things such as a baby seat restraint but these are minor.
    Will I need to change the odometer?
    How long do I have to get the vehicle modified?
    45 days from the date the vehicle crossed the border.
    Can I import the car at any Canadian border crossing?
    No, only at certain border crossings. Two in eastern Ontario are Prescott and Cornwall.
    Do I have to pay duty on a vehicle imported from the US?
    Yes and no! Vehicles manufactured in the US are covered by NAFTA and are duty free. Vehicles manufactured outside of the US are likely subject to a 6.1% duty payable to Canada Customs at the border.
    How do I pay the dealer?
    By bank draft, certified cheque or wire transfer in US funds. Check with your particular dealer.
    Can I trade in my old car?
    Probably not as you’d have to then export your old car to the US.

    How do I get a US cheque?
    Check with your financial institution, but you’ll likely have to open a US dollar account which is actually quite easy to do.
    Can I get financing through the dealer?
    Likely no, but you can check.
    Can I get a car loan from my Canadian bank?
    Probably not as a Canadian bank can’t put a lien on a US auto.
    What insurance information do I need when I show up at the dealer to pick up my vehicle and bring it back to Canada?
    You’ll need:
    A letter on company letterhead from your insurance company which includes the following:
    Name of the insurance company;
    Name and address of the insured;
    Policy number;
    VIN, year and make of the vehicle;
    Period of coverage; and
    Signature and license number of the broker.

    Note 1: This is a representative cost at one dealer, other dealers may charge more or less.

Products Discussed in

To Top