1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

? improve mpg? cai?

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by OBJMS33, Nov 2, 2009.

1. Nov 2, 2009 at 6:13 AM
    OBJMS33

OBJMS33 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    san diego
    Vehicle:
    05-4cyl-4x4
    none
    Can a cai improve my gas mileage? I have an 05 4x4 manual. I have not been tracking my mpg well since I purchased truck in March. But my last tank I think I got 16mpg. All going to work. Which is mixed freeway,and street 14 miles round
    trip. The dealer put some BFG 265's on the truck. I'm bummed if these are killing my mpg that bad. I had an 89 mini for 15yrs that kills the mpg on this one.
    Going to track mpg carefully for a couple months now.
    Thanks!

2. Nov 2, 2009 at 6:49 AM
    GT_Taco

GT_Taco Newbie here

Member:
    Marietta, GA
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner 4x4 Limited Metallic Gray
    5K LED interior lighting
    I track my mileage religiously. . . I have a V6 4x4 DC Lb automatic.. and I get 19 mpg city/highway combined. I noticed about a .3-.5 mpg increase when I added a CAI. I felt more of a horsepower boost than that.. so all in all not a bad addition, but don't expect massive economy gains..

EDIT:
    honestly, on a 4-banger, you prob wouldn't notice a difference at all. I would think negligible horsepower gain even...

3. Nov 2, 2009 at 6:50 AM
    NraFan

NraFan Join the NRA! Protect your freedom!

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2011 Sienna LE, rockin the mini van!
    Power sliding doors baby! WooHoo!
    Sometimes a CAI can work against you. You may get a little heavy footed trying to feel or hear that new CAI. In theory a CAI will improve the mileage, but it often backfires. Good luck.

4. Nov 2, 2009 at 8:12 AM
    OBJMS33

Member:
    san diego
    Vehicle:
    05-4cyl-4x4
    none
    I will be tracking this much closer now. First truck I ever bought myself. I love the look of the tires and I mostly have it to go to the snow this season. But really pisses me and everyone off that manufacturers went backwards in fuel economy. Could not wait several tanks of gas before posting on this.
    The threads I read sounds like most 4cyl. are getting much better.
    Makes me wonder if this is why it was traded in? Thought I actually felt engine break in a little over the last few months. Pretty sure it was driven by a woman and makes me wonder if engine break in had any effect. I have put 5k on now and it came with 39. Engine felt like it had not ever been rev'd high enough. The extra cab and 4x4 are a dream though. And most likely will be worth the loss to me. I can remember seeing one of the first one of these back in the early eighties when I was a teen. Its a dream come true to have my own now.:)

5. Nov 2, 2009 at 2:03 PM
    DanGer

DanGer Avatar approved by 98tacomav6

Member:
    Northern Virginia & Blacksburg
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    White Head Light mod, White shorty antennae, Doug Thorley Long Tube headers, AFE Drop in air filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed,
    No the stock airbox is a CAI. Even with a "high flow filter" and removing my secondary air filter I noticed .5-1 mpg increase maximum. The only advantage of upgrading filters is that you never have to replace it.

I am also trying to get the best mpg possible. I added headers and noticed no gain or loss in mpg. The only thing I have found to work is driving habbits and ethanol free gas

6. Nov 2, 2009 at 4:32 PM
    OBJMS33

Member:
    san diego
    Vehicle:
    05-4cyl-4x4
    none
    dgerm, Your getting 24.3 mpg average? How do you calculate your average?
    We seem to have same model truck. I think the damm Ca gas is killing me. You cant get anything anymore that does not have some additive advertised all over the pump.

7. Nov 2, 2009 at 6:34 PM
    DanGer

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    White Head Light mod, White shorty antennae, Doug Thorley Long Tube headers, AFE Drop in air filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed,
    I just fill up at the same pump at the same station as often as I can. Then divide the amount traveled since last fill up by the amount I just filled.

These are the only thing I really noticed making a difference.

Synthetic in engine
    Synthetic in diffs, t case and tranny (did them all at once so not sure which one actually helped the most)
    My stock tires are at 40 psi
    And driving intelligently

8. Nov 2, 2009 at 7:11 PM
    06dak

06dak Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Ohio
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5 4cyl
    Undercover hard tonneau, Husky front liners
    What ratio (265/70 or 265/75)? Could be your odometer is off, which makes your F/E better than you calculate. Also, which BFGs are on it? The more off-road the tire, usually the heavier and greater rolling resistance they come with. I remember on a truck I had in the past I put on meaty tires and lost 2mpg with no other changes! :eek:

9. Nov 2, 2009 at 11:03 PM
    OBJMS33

Member:
    san diego
    Vehicle:
    05-4cyl-4x4
    none
    265 75 BFG ALL TERAIN T/A. I'm 3-5 off manufactures spec. I would prefer 1-3. I expected to make the sacrifice when buying the truck. Passed on a Subaru wrx to have the utility of a truck. Suits my lifestyle more. Camping,motorcyles and such. It will work out to about 50 dollars more per trip to mountains. I'm losing around 90 miles a tank. My numbers are inline with you guys, but some of us are on the low end of the range. Just couldn't really wait to check through some more fill ups. I only commute about 170 miles per month. Was a little freaked out and decided to waste peoples time with another gas thread:D Obviously overall, I am a lucky dude. Got a bike and a truck and a good job. Don't want to bitch too much.

10. Nov 2, 2009 at 11:08 PM
    ttylerr

ttylerr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Fort McMurray, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    09 MGM 4Banger 4x4
    5% tint all around, Alpine IVA-W505, 16x8 Mojave Teflon Rims w/Hercules Terra Trac 265/75, Grillcraft Grill, Slimcubby HIDs, Front 5100's @ 0 w/Eibach 1.6" springs, URD Short Shifter, Extang Trifecta Tonneau Cover, Uniden Pro510XL and K30Mag Mount, Relentless Fab Bumper soon to come
    i saw around 3-4mpg drop when i went up from stock to 265's, about an inch and a half difference in diameter. i'm pretty sure these new tires weigh a lot more as well, which has a major effect on mpg.

11. Nov 2, 2009 at 11:43 PM
    OBJMS33

Member:
    san diego
    Vehicle:
    05-4cyl-4x4
    none
    Thats good info, thanks. I saw in another thread I think the weigh was 50lbs per 30 for a stock tire. But now fifty seems kind of high. And I worked a couple of years as a tire mounter. If you lost that much sounds like mine then.

12. Nov 4, 2009 at 5:19 PM
    Yota1

Yota1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    does anyone notice a snappier throttle response with a cai, headers or even removing the resonator from the intake?

13. Nov 4, 2009 at 7:19 PM
    DanGer

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    My doug thorely long tube headers lost me some throttle response and torque in the low RPMs but gained some in the higher range

Products Discussed in

To Top