1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Improving mpg with a RTT

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by LunaticConcepts, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Jan 29, 2016 at 8:28 AM
    LunaticConcepts

LunaticConcepts [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma TSS
    TC LT, Kings, OME, Billies, ARB, stuff
    So my rack is almost level with the roofline of the truck and my Tepui Tent sits up real high. Has anyone experimented with a large fearing or spoiler type thing?

Thinking about building one that mounts to the rear factory roof rack mounting holes.

I also thought about getting a roof rack like the Prinsu Cab rack and seeing if that would help.

Any ideas?

2. Jan 29, 2016 at 8:40 AM
    crazy joker

crazy joker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Charlotte area, NC
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCLB sport 4x4
    Real men just call it camping
  3. Jan 29, 2016 at 10:06 AM
    steelhd

steelhd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB TRD OR
    I'm guessing the best thing you could do is to lower the rack to get the RTT down to cab height. But I'm not sure that lowering the rack or installing an air dam will give you much improvement. I suspect that the bigger, turbulent, low pressure area behind the truck caused by mounting the RTT anywhere (just like filling the bed to cab height or higher with anything) has the biggest effect.

Im not a aerodynamic engineer, and I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn either, but years ago I studied up on the effect of installing tailgates made of netting on pickup trucks. Turns out that the net tailgates actually decreased fuel economy. The reason is that a fairly stable "cushion" of air forms in the area between the top of the cab and the top of a solid tailgate. As the truck drives down the road air smoothly flows over the cab and tailgate. Removing the tailgate or installing a net tailgate disrupts the airflow around the truck by creating a whole lot of turbulence (drag?) behind the cab and the truck. I dunno if what I think I know is actually right. But there it is.

4. Jan 29, 2016 at 12:30 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    Older pic but you get the idea:

2CA363D3-55F8-47B9-8D67-AB3A3207E688_zps_f5d4448e222f4d79e8057cc3f5003b54998c8a37.jpg

Makes a HUGE difference driving at highway speeds. :D

Parker315 and crazy joker like this.
  5. Jan 29, 2016 at 3:12 PM
    Wheelspinner

Wheelspinner Coco Customs

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    '13 4x4x4cyl
    @HomerTaco do you have any moar pictars of how you attached that. I tried going through your build but I got lost in the 100 plus pages lol

6. Jan 29, 2016 at 5:55 PM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    I've changed it around a bit since I have the full PrInSu Rack setup. The full build is in my build thread here. (way back on page 27)

It now mounts on the cross rails of the PrInSu not the OEM roof rack:

I would not do a trip of any length without it. The fairing serves as a deflector for branches on the trail too. :thumbsup:

LunaticConcepts[OP] likes this.
  7. Jan 29, 2016 at 7:28 PM
    Wheelspinner

Wheelspinner Coco Customs

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    '13 4x4x4cyl
    Awesome thank you:thumbsup:

8. Mar 2, 2016 at 3:38 PM
    Jystr

Jystr IG: TW_Jystr

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Leesville, LA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Barcelona Red Tacoma TRDOR
    See build thread
    Sorry to raise this back up but having the same issue here... Where can I get one of those fairings :O

9. Mar 2, 2016 at 5:51 PM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    That was a just DIY build out of pieces I got from Home Depot... I could not find a commercially made one that fit my application so I just "Macguyvered" one on my own. :oops:

Parker315 likes this.
  10. Mar 2, 2016 at 5:52 PM
    Jystr

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Leesville, LA
    Vehicle:
    See build thread
    I am le sad :( I am making that trip to gulches in a few weeks and trying to maximize this MPG again.

11. Mar 2, 2016 at 5:53 PM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    I'll be there & will have it on. You can check it out in person. :thumbsup:

12. Mar 2, 2016 at 5:56 PM
    yonah

yonah Well-Known Member

Member:
    Calling-in from east of the Rockies
    Initially I ran the RTT over my shell and lost about 2-3 MPG when at highway speeds. It was frustrating as most of the camping locales around here require an hour drive on the highway. I decided to center the tent on my truck to improve the COG and lower it to reduce aerodynamic drag. I sold my basket-style BajaRack and purchased BR's flat, utility rack. I moved the RTT onto the utility rack (over my cab) and now I would say the MPG loss is barely noticeable, maybe less than a MPG. I would guess a large spoiler, like what's pictured above, would improve my numbers even more - I knocked around the idea of making a Maxtrax mount that utilized the Maxtrax's as a faring. Maybe I'll have some time to fab one up this summer. My wife and I just finished a 5k mile road trip out West and averaged 17MPG in our heavily laden Tacoma. When running the RTT I stay below 65MPH (55 MPH is ideal) and that seems to help a lot with handling and fuel economy.

NateMob and Jystr like this.
  13. Mar 2, 2016 at 5:56 PM
    Jystr

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Leesville, LA
    Vehicle:
    See build thread
    Just saying if you want to make another for a Prinsu roof rack I am okay with that! Lol, I will have to check it out though for sure. Thanks Craig!

14. Mar 2, 2016 at 6:11 PM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    Parker315 and Jystr[QUOTED] like this.
  15. Mar 2, 2016 at 6:12 PM
    Htnswches

Htnswches Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    E
    Lost Angels
    Vehicle:
    2006 Precummer Tacoma
    310,000 and counting

Realistically anything over the roof is going to drag and make noise. A fairing would help you, how bout a lower bed rack? I forget it's there, quiet and no less mpg than usual road trips. I don't use my RTT annex and this works for me the best1443184872_8e8a9b2522172bf878b6a8139ac594adb270af08.jpg
    1443199051_578cb01edfb1764659851542966637616c691a3a.jpg

Gunshot-6A likes this.
  16. Mar 2, 2016 at 6:17 PM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    Very good setup if you do not have a Cap on the bed! :thumbsup:

FreshPots likes this.
  17. Mar 2, 2016 at 7:43 PM
    Htnswches

Htnswches Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    E
    Lost Angels
    Vehicle:
    2006 Precummer Tacoma
    310,000 and counting
    Thanks! At times I still want a cap but I like this set up more.

18. Mar 2, 2016 at 9:39 PM
    awylie0321

awylie0321 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Vehicle:
    15 TSS
    None Yet
    I think i will be in the same boat. I am having a RTT Rack built by Red Beard Fab here in Hell Paso. His name is Adam Cox. I'm sure you can find him on F Book. We discussed a wind deflector mounted to my roof at the back where the roof rack would mount. I'm dropping it this weekend so he can get it measured up. I'll post pics of course.

19. May 4, 2016 at 6:44 AM
    2scars

2scars Swollen Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    RVA
    Vehicle:
    2003 TRD 4x4 Doublecab
    All-pro, T-G, Budbuilt, Warn, Tepui, Homefab rear bumper
    I just yesterday picked up an adjustable over shell ladder rack to use for a RTT rack. It just unbolts for normal use and I still get the use of the dry(ish) storage under the shell. This is a must for camping with the kiddo. Mom and kid in the RTT, and I will be out in the Tent-cot.

Brandon

20. Aug 6, 2018 at 11:42 PM
    fgeorge097

fgeorge097 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northeast
    Vehicle:
    2018 OR AT
    What kind of mpg do you get?

Products Discussed in

To Top