1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Improving the URD Fuel Pump Kit

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by mike92y, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Dec 29, 2013 at 5:30 PM
    mike92y

mike92y [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Glendale, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OFF ROAD
    OME all around. SPC UCA. This and that.
    So I think I have improved on the URD Fuel Pump Kit. I am not big on taking pictures while I am working on the truck but its really not needed for this thread. First a little history.

History: I did the fuel pump kit upgrade to my 2011 Tacoma. A week later the truck died. I had a friend tow me home and I posted on this forum what had happened looking for help. Another member said the same thing happened to him and that he had over tightened the hose clamps on the fuel hose inside the tank and the clamps cut into the hose. (in the kit you cut the plastic stock fuel line inside the tank in the fuel pump assembly and replace it with Gates brand submersible fuel line.) I did some investigating. I search every forum (BMW Harley Davidson Corvette) you name I looked and I found a company called Racetronix that sells the plastic fuel feed line that looks close to stock. Oh I found that I forgot to tighten a clamp on top of the fuel pump assembly and that the Gates hose was fine. That what I get for letting Jim Beam help wrench on my truck.

Improvement: You will need the 250mm Fuel Feed Tube part# FFT250. This is a hard plastic line like the stock line so you will need to boil a pan of water and insert the end of the Fuel Tube in the water for around 30 seconds. After the is done you can slide the fuel tube over the nipples on the fuel pump and the top of the fuel pump assembly. I used the hose clamps that came with the kit but I not real sure if the were needed, the new fuel tube really grips once it cools.

I am not saying anything bad about URD's Fuel Pump Kit. I think they are are great company however I do not like the Gates brand fuel line inside the tank and in my amateur opinion the the new Fuel Tube from Racetronix's is a better way of doing things.

P.S. The New Fuel tube is made by Delphi. While I was searching the web for a solution I found whole fuel pump assemblies for the Tacoma made by Delphi ($400).

The link for Racetronix and a picture of the new fuel tube are listed below.

http://www.racetronix.biz/items.asp?Cc=TUBE-03&iTpStatus=1&Tp=

IMG_1420.jpg

jgalvar, Key-Rei, GilbertOz and 8 others like this.
  2. Dec 30, 2013 at 12:12 AM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    i likey

3. Dec 30, 2013 at 4:12 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Great find man! :thumbsup:

Thank you for linking this to me Justus.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  4. Dec 30, 2013 at 4:18 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    ::two thumbs way up:: I've been having the slow start issue...so this might be coming soon...

5. Dec 30, 2013 at 4:21 AM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    stockish
  6. Dec 30, 2013 at 9:20 AM
    mike92y

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Glendale, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OFF ROAD
    I think you are going to be stranded soon. I had the same issue from the start when I did mine. I did not tighten the top hose clamp. If I let the truck sit for more than two minutes and then restart it I had a "slow start". I planed to open up the tank the coming weekend and fix it but my truck said FU on a Tuesday. It died three blocks from my work. I towed it to work and dropped the tank in the parking lot at night and tightened the hose clamp.

It should also be noted that the Gates brand fuel hose is like $30 for one foot and I could only find it at Napa. All the other parts stores had no clue and in Phoenix I have every major parts store within 15 min. of my house. I bought a new hose before I dropped the tank a second time just in case the hose clamp had cut the line. The Delphi "fuel tube" is $3.

MTopp and Crom like this.
  7. Dec 30, 2013 at 11:26 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit

Sounds like yours was a bit more severe than mine. I get one start that takes a second or two and then I'm good for the day. But I'll be looking at it when I get home either way...

8. Dec 30, 2013 at 11:30 AM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    stockish
    Ah, sounds like its slowly depressurizing when it sits... That hose clamp idea is a bit iffy.... I had my install done by a tech and even he was a lil uneasy bout the idea but used discretion.
    Been a few months tho and I havent seen any issues yet (knocking on wood)

9. Dec 30, 2013 at 11:33 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:

I would say that is 100% true. I'm traveling for work, but when I get back...I'll probably order some of the fuel tube and rebuild it just on time and call it good...I hope.

10. Dec 30, 2013 at 11:37 AM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    stockish
    I think I'll be following suit and maybe another local boosted taco.

11. Jan 1, 2014 at 10:55 AM
    XPOTRPR

XPOTRPR CNC Programmer/Machinist

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    [2009 Supercharged Adventuretruck] & [1986 22r Minitruck]
    > BUILD LINKS >
    Sub'd . Glad to see you got it all sorted out Mike. :thumbsup: no issues with mine after we installed it.. i'll be keeping my fingers crossed.

12. Jan 1, 2014 at 11:14 AM
    mike92y

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Glendale, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OFF ROAD
    If you want to swap out hoses let me know and I will help.

13. Jan 16, 2014 at 9:24 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    stockish
    bumpers for a great find more ppl should know about

:broccoli:

14. Jan 20, 2014 at 7:14 PM
    trailhoor

trailhoor Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    08 BLK TRD
    King Adj Remote C/Os, Icon UCAs, King Adj Remote Rears, Alcan Leafs, Light Racing Jounce Shocks, Defined Engineering Shackles, Defined Engineering X-brace, Hakkapelittas (winter), Tunes, TRD S/C, APR X-1, URD 2.825 pulley, AFE Stage II, Doug Thorley LT, All Pro Rear Plate Bumper, Tom Woods CV drive shaft, FX-R HID headlights, diff lock, door chime, fogs anytime, bright reverse lights, map lights wired to door lights, defrost A/C, bed bike mounts
    I've been sitting on my URD fuel pump for a while but am about ready to install it. The last thing I want from this mod is a bunch of engine cranking when I turn the key. Is the problem with the Gates hose that it expands a little from the gas or that it doesn't hold the fuel pressure with the pump off? Should I install the Delphi tube when I put the new pump in? Any other tips?

15. Jan 20, 2014 at 7:22 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    stockish
    this has happend to a few people........ the hose clamps cut into the hose typically and cause a small leak so the pump isnt as effective.

install the tube the OP put links to, this will keep u from possibly having to drop the tank twice.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
    MTopp likes this.
  16. Jan 20, 2014 at 7:33 PM
    trailhoor

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    08 BLK TRD
    King Adj Remote C/Os, Icon UCAs, King Adj Remote Rears, Alcan Leafs, Light Racing Jounce Shocks, Defined Engineering Shackles, Defined Engineering X-brace, Hakkapelittas (winter), Tunes, TRD S/C, APR X-1, URD 2.825 pulley, AFE Stage II, Doug Thorley LT, All Pro Rear Plate Bumper, Tom Woods CV drive shaft, FX-R HID headlights, diff lock, door chime, fogs anytime, bright reverse lights, map lights wired to door lights, defrost A/C, bed bike mounts
    Got it- ordering part- thanks:)

17. Jan 20, 2014 at 7:52 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    stockish
    :thumbsup:

18. Jan 20, 2014 at 7:59 PM
    trailhoor

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    08 BLK TRD
    Well maybe not, the $3 part has turned into a $30 minimum order with shipping. Is this something that an auto parts store will have?

19. Jan 20, 2014 at 8:01 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    stockish
    sounds like a group buy is in order.........................................who wants to organize it?

not it :wave:

20. Jan 20, 2014 at 8:17 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    User error is the problem in those reported cases. Not the Gates hose. I have installed a these kits on over a dozen people's trucks. Never had a problem with any of them. Follow the instructions carefully, and use a common sense approach.

If you aren't confident enough in your ability, the hose in this thread should make the installation that much closer to dummy proof.

Products Discussed in

To Top