1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

In Ohio looking for used Tacoma 2010-2015

Discussion in 'Ohio' started by looking, Mar 27, 2019.

1. Mar 27, 2019 at 1:43 PM
    looking

looking [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lancaster, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2014 Sport DCLB 4x4 Barcelona Red
    In central Ohio just outside of Lancaster looking for used 4WD Tacoma 2010-2015 with miles less than 80,000.

Doug

verynearlypure likes this.
  2. Mar 27, 2019 at 1:49 PM
    My Name is Rahl

My Name is Rahl Well-Known Member

Member:
    Have you thought of looking at Tansky's in Zanesville? I bought mine there, and they are great to work with.

verynearlypure likes this.
  3. Mar 27, 2019 at 6:21 PM
    looking

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lancaster, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    I have been checking their website, nothing yet. I need to call them. Do you remember the name of your sales person?

4. Mar 28, 2019 at 4:54 AM
    My Name is Rahl

Member:
  5. Apr 1, 2019 at 10:40 AM
    looking

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lancaster, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    Just a quick question. If a Tacoma does not have side rails, how hard is it to put them on myself?
    And are the holes in the frame already there for the bolts to add the rails?

Thank you!

Doug

6. Apr 1, 2019 at 10:43 AM
    JJ Customs

JJ Customs Supreme Leader!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    NV
    Vehicle:
    Silverado Crew Cab Z71, 5.3 made from real Tornado's!
    A few additions to make me feel cool.
    Yes they come from the factory with all the mounting locations made into the truck. The only time this does not apply would be for sliders, you can get those where they weld directly to the frame or bolt on and some require you to drill a hole in the frame. If you are just looking for nerf bars or running boards such as the OEM ones they all mount directly and can be installed by anyone in a half hour or so. Most aftermarket companies life N-Fab and such utilize these factory mounting locations. They bolt to the body on the underside of the cab near the pinch weld.

7. Apr 1, 2019 at 10:52 AM
    looking

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lancaster, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    JJ Customs, Jay.

Showing my ignorance here. Not sure what nerf bars are. I am really liking the chrome running board that has a black piece about a foot long that goes
    on top of chrome running board.

Also, what can you tell me about ride quality in the Off Road compared to others like Sport or Pro?

Not a Taco owner yet but looking hard in central Ohio. Looking for used 2010-2015 4X4 auto V6.

Thanks Jay!

8. Apr 1, 2019 at 12:53 PM
    JJ Customs

JJ Customs Supreme Leader!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    NV
    Vehicle:
    Silverado Crew Cab Z71, 5.3 made from real Tornado's!
    A few additions to make me feel cool.
    No worries.

They are all just steps for the most part. Most would consider this a nerf bar with a step. Mostly used if you install a 2.5-3" lift:
    https://www.autoanything.com/nerf-bars/n-fab-nerf-steps

The OEM step is much like a nerf bar and looks like this, also comes in chrome: https://toyotapartsestore.com/acces..._step_black_regular_extra_cab_PT76735111.html

This is a nerf bar but I think these look the worst: https://runningboardwarehouse.com/p...MI79varNGv4QIVxyaGCh3ORQHzEAQYBiABEgLURPD_BwE

This would be considered a running board: http://www.iboardauto.com/p/iboard-running-boards-toyota-tacoma-double-cab-2005-2015/

Most any term is excepted, nerf bar, running board or simply step to describe any type of step that assist in getting into/out of the vehicle. Personally for lifted trucks I like the N-Fabs and for stock height I think the OEM 5" oval steps look the best. Look around on your local craigslist because they come up quite oftin and can normally be had for under $150 for a set. Being you are looking at a 2nd gen (good call BTW!) they might be a little harder to come by but shop around.

As for the ride quality of the off-road vs the sport vs the Pro. The sport has a bit stiffer suspension as it is designed to corner they claim but not that much different from the Off Road quality when stock. The off road comes with Bilstein shocks that are normally yellow and blue when the sport will be just all black. The off road shocks have a little softer valving and thus allow the vehicle to soak up washboards a little better they claim however you will not notice much in the way of a difference in ride quality. The largest function you get in the off road vs the sport is the addition of the electronic locking rear differential that comes standard on the off road. It can only be used in four wheel low unless you modify it to be used in four wheel high. I doubt you would ever use it non the less it is there. Most off roads comes with a transmission cooler so they are a little better for towing also. A lot of sport packages might come with this but your base SR5 most of the time does not. Do not be surprised to see SR5 on all of the truck despite the trim package and both the sport and off road start as an SR5 and the packages get added to at the factory like legos.

As for the TRD Pro. Someone will correct me if I am wrong but in the 3rd gen I believe Fox is making the shocks for Toyota Racing Development. In the 2nd gen I believe they were based on the Bilstein 5100. My perspective is unless you want the inferno color that the pro was offered in then the pro is a waste of money. You can easly add aftermarket parts that are cheaper but much more capable for the money to an off road. That said if you find a clean one that is used and like it, it is at least on paper more capable than the off road. I had a 2011 TX Pro. That was the "cool guy" package in 2011 and the only thing that remained that was not upgraded when I sold it was the decal on the bed and the TRD exhaust. To get a pro you would need to look for a 2012-2015 I believe but even then it is not much in the way of upgrades. And those fancy fake bead lock wheels they come with. Yeah I had a set of those and they do not balance for shit so just be aware of that.

Overall they are all good trucks and more than capable to go most anywhere you want to go. The sport comes with a fake scoop on the hood and has color match grille and rear bumper. The off road comes with a locker and tow package. The pro adds a little better than stock shocks, inferno as a color option, TRD exhaust and cool guy wheels. Just depends on what you are looking for and what you find. On any of them CHECK THE FRAME for rust. These trucks are known to get rusty frames that rot from the inside so be sure to find a clean one and take the time to maintain it. Meaning clean and treat it with rust inhibitor a couple times a year.

9. May 28, 2019 at 12:06 PM
    looking

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lancaster, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    Update.....I am looking hard at a 2014 Sport 4 WD in central Ohio. The dealer gave me the build which shows MRSP. They are asking 71% of the original MRSP. This
    2014 has 43000 miles and dealer has priced at $25,309. Would this sound some what of an OK deal? With month end approaching they seem willing to deal.

My Name is Rahl likes this.
  10. May 28, 2019 at 12:08 PM
    My Name is Rahl

Member:
    Is this inside 270? If so, it's probably about normal. Me personally, I would try to get them lower than $20k. What trim package is it?

11. May 29, 2019 at 11:59 AM
    Jaypown

Jaypown Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    NE Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra SR5 Crew Max TRD Sport 4x4
    If it's a TRD Sport and clean, I'm thinking that it's a pretty good deal. I bought my 14 last year and it had 67k and non trd. paid 24k out the door. I doubt you'll get lower than 23-24

12. May 30, 2019 at 8:37 AM
    looking

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lancaster, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    Looking at a 2014 Toyota Tacoma Sport. It has the roof rack attached as a dealer addon when sold new. It is still on there as the original owner traded it on on a car a few weeks ago.

Call me crazy, but just asking if this can be removed and how that would be done. Thanks!

My Name is Rahl likes this.
  13. May 30, 2019 at 9:48 AM
    My Name is Rahl

Member:
    Pretty easy. It's just popping off the trim molding and taking out the bolts. You'll have to get OEM drip molding to replace what is on there now.

14. May 30, 2019 at 11:45 AM
    Jaypown

Jaypown Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    NE Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra SR5 Crew Max TRD Sport 4x4
    if it's double cab @looking, i'll trade you the roof rack for my oem drip molding

@My Name is Rahl I'd assume the oem roof rack has it's own molding that goes around the brackets that covers the bolts?

15. May 30, 2019 at 12:45 PM
    My Name is Rahl

Member:
    Yeah, or the dealership cut down the OEM molding. If you go out and look at your drip rail molding, it's all one piece. It has to be cut to allow the bolts clearance.

Jaypown[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Jun 1, 2019 at 7:48 PM
    looking

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lancaster, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    IMG_2401.jpg

I finally found a Tacoma I liked. I 2014 Sport with 43,400 miles, one owner, 4 WD, running boards, and more. Folks at the office said it looks brand new. Looking
    forward to many years of fun and service. Sorry for the poor picture.

dre5491, Jaypown and My Name is Rahl like this.
  17. Jun 2, 2019 at 5:50 AM
    My Name is Rahl

Member:
    Awesome! Welcome to the club, Doug!

18. Jun 3, 2019 at 8:52 PM
    looking

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lancaster, Ohio