1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

In search on a new head unit!

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by JWCWV, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Oct 29, 2010 at 10:09 PM
    JWCWV

JWCWV [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Morgantown, WV
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Double Cab
    I am considering a new head unit for my 08 dbl cab! I currently have Sirius radio installed with a separate reciever, and have a gps unit on the windshield. I would like to consolidate all of my gadgets. So here's my question: Is there a head unit out there that anyone could recommend that has the following:

1. Sirius capable
    2. Ipod ready (USB)
    3. GPS enabled

Thanks for any suggestions!

2. Oct 30, 2010 at 9:11 AM
    dolbytone

dolbytone Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road
  3. Nov 3, 2010 at 12:51 AM
    dreamnz

dreamnz Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner
    Suspension: Camburg Spindles, Bilstein 5100s, Deaver Leafs, BFGs Audio: IDQ 10 in "Marv" box - Hybrid Audio L6 mid bass/ L4 mids / L1 ProSE tweets - RF Power / Arc Amps...BitOne.1 to control it all.
    Tried the Pioeneer Z120bt and didn't like it at all, so I returned it. I'm now running the Kenwood DNX9960. I love it. Only complaint is that the interface is a bit laggy (click, wait). But overall, imho, it's the best available if you want all features.

The sound quality is head and shoulders above the Pioneer too.

4. Nov 4, 2010 at 12:29 PM
    GoatFiddyone

GoatFiddyone Well-Known Member

Member:
    Altamonte Springs, FL
    Vehicle:
    '17 DCLB TRD OR

I've got an AVIC Z-3 that I'm looking to replace and I was thinking about the 120. What didn't you like about it? How is the nav on the Kenwood compared to the Pioneer? Is the iPod hookup any faster with the Kenwood than with the Pioneer?

5. Nov 4, 2010 at 9:06 PM
    dreamnz

dreamnz Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner
    Suspension: Camburg Spindles, Bilstein 5100s, Deaver Leafs, BFGs Audio: IDQ 10 in "Marv" box - Hybrid Audio L6 mid bass/ L4 mids / L1 ProSE tweets - RF Power / Arc Amps...BitOne.1 to control it all.
    The Pioneer Z120 has a great looking interface, but I found it unacceptably difficult to use while the truck was moving. I gave it a month to try and get used to it. I just ended up pissed off.

The front/rear crossovers are linked, so you can't set them seperately. The Kenwood has much more flexibility.

The EQ presets all sucked with my setup and manually tweaking the 7 band eq didn't render great results either. The Kenwood has a 13 band EQ, but I don't manually set it because the preset options sound great and provide just the flexibility I'm looking for depending on the music I've got playing.

The sound just lacked that clean, crisp sound that I'm getting out of the Kenwood with all the same equipment behind it. The Pioneer just never sounded clean at higher volumes.

Boot times including iPod ready seemed comparable.

The up to date Garmin nav on the Kenwood 9960 blows away the 120s.

Kenwood 9960 has a second USB port. 1st for iPod, 2nd I've got connected to a 32gb USB stick full of CD quality WAV files. I've also tried using a 320gb USB hard drive. Very cool feature for keeping a stash of full CD quality music on tap that can be decoded by Kenwood's DAC (Wolfson I think) vs. the iPod's DAC. But to be honest, with Apple Lossless rips on the iPod, I can't really tell the difference. They both sound great.

Anyways, hope that helps. BTW, paid $1100 or $1150 for my DNX-9960 after rebate at the time from 6ave.com (authorized retailer). They'll price match the non-authorized guys. :)

Products Discussed in

To Top