1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

In the market for a used boat

Discussion in 'Boating & Fishing' started by T0xikTak0, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Sep 11, 2013 at 2:28 PM
    T0xikTak0

T0xikTak0 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Glendora
    Vehicle:
    08 Sport
    Cold Air intake + 50 horses!!
    Hello everyone, as the title of the thread states I am currently in the market for a used boat..This would be my first boat. Looking for some recommendations or things I should consider before I drop my hard earned cash.. Like Jet boat VS prop driven, things I should be aware of, or look out for? advantages/disadvantages

I plan to use it in freshwater only like on the lake, just to cruise around with the family, possibly for moderate wakeboarding, tubing, nothing extreme. So I am thinking somewhere in the 20-30 ft range..

As far as money goes I am Looking in the $5,000-$8,000 range. I see a lot of used boats online (craigslist, classified ads, etc) that come with trailer already included which is a big plus.

Also I was wondering what kind of extras or upgrades should I consider for my truck when towing a boat? Heavy duty break kit, rotors, etc.. I have a 2008 with factory tow package

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  2. Sep 11, 2013 at 2:40 PM
    jake72

jake72 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    N.E. PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd off-road dcsb mt
    if you were from my area, a friends selling a nice ski boat with trailer in your range. complete setup skis tube everything included.

3. Sep 29, 2013 at 11:43 PM
    DonziGT230

DonziGT230 Gearhead

Member:
    First Name:
    Oscar
    Hacienda Hts, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    '07 base taco. Sold. Now Taco-less
    Factory cruise added, wood storage box in bed, wood center console/armrest, charcoal air filter delete.
    Jets are less efficient than a prop and often have poor handling characteristics, but are simple and less prone to damage in shallow water. For a basic lake family boat, I'd go with a bow rider, deck boat, or pontoon with an outboard or I/O. Any boat you are considering should be checked out by someone knowledgable and a test drive (seatrial) should be mandatory.

Your truck should need nothing to tow within it's rated weight range and a small bowrider shouldn't weigh more than about 4500# with trailer.

4. Sep 29, 2013 at 11:48 PM
    DonziGT230

DonziGT230 Gearhead

Member:
    First Name:
    Oscar
    Hacienda Hts, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    '07 base taco. Sold. Now Taco-less
    Factory cruise added, wood storage box in bed, wood center console/armrest, charcoal air filter delete.
    I just noticed you're a local. I do mobile boat inspections and repair and have two boats here at home if you want to do a walk-through on some things to familiarize yourself with and help guide you towards a good choice in a boat. If you're interested PM me and I'll give you my number.

5. Oct 2, 2013 at 11:05 AM
    T0xikTak0

T0xikTak0 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Glendora
    Vehicle:
    08 Sport
    Cold Air intake + 50 horses!!
    Hey guys thanks for the reply, thought this thread was dead in the water.. Lol

and thanks for the offer Donzi, I would definitely appreciate that.. Just getting in to the the swing of things and really interested in buying a boat before next summer rolls around. I can really use some of your expertise ! PM sent your way !

Products Discussed in

To Top