1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Increase Outlet Power?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by calikites, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Apr 22, 2010 at 9:45 AM
    calikites

calikites [OP] New Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2010 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road
  2. Apr 22, 2010 at 9:59 AM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    Only way I could think of doing it is rerunning the wire from a big power inverter. This would make the settings for hi/lo output useless, but i think you could still use the button. I don't think that the truck as it sits could run that bad boy at all.

3. Apr 22, 2010 at 1:45 PM
    flightcancled

flightcancled Addicted

Member:
    Syracuse NY/ Nantucket MA
    Camper top with racks, Custom fogs behind lower bumper. Interior LED lighting, Rock Lights, Hella 500s with upraged bulbs behind black billet grill, AAL, Front 5100s
    I think for the amount of effort and cash that you are going to get roped doing this into you should look into a small compressor that you can stow in the bed cavity behind the stock storage unit (Anyone know the build I'm thinking of?) Or go with one of the new micro generators that have come out recently.

Most rafting companies i have had experience with don't actually use these things, but a shop vac in reverse or a leaf blower or something instead. Personally I installed a bed outlet to run a Wally world pump that can be found in the camping section.

4. Apr 22, 2010 at 3:55 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    Power= voltage * amps (P=IE)
    I think the stock outlet can only put out about 3 amps of power at 120 volts (400 watts / 120v = 3.33 amps).
    At 12 volts you're drawing 33 amps.

I believe you'd need about a 1000 watt converter.

8 amps * 120 vac = 960 watts

At 12 volts, you're going to be drawing about 80 amps. It'll require some heavier gauge wire as well.

5. Apr 23, 2010 at 4:41 AM
    MyMistress

MyMistress Well-Known Member

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport 4X
    Leveled front, TSB rear, TSB Transmission, Always on fog lights, Socked windshield / bedsides, Trimmed mud flaps, Weather Techs, 4 Extra d-rings, Map Light Mod, Avid Light Bar, OEM Bed Mat, Locked Back Window, Secret Stash Area,
    So what use is the outlet in the bed?

6. Apr 23, 2010 at 5:02 AM
    kristopherl

kristopherl AKA: Jake the Wolf

Member:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma DC 4x4 Sport LB. Foglight
    Cup holder LEDs, Black Max Tonau, BHL Mod, N-Fab side steps
    There is a thread somewhere on here that shows what people use their outlet for. I have used it to power the blower on my water heater when my power went out and a couple lights in the house. I used it for bed lights and the radio while camping. I used it to charge my quad battery while in transit. I have also used it for the charging dock for my cordless power tools.

I will agree it would be nice to have about 1000 watts but still nice to have the 400watts.

Products Discussed in

To Top