1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

increasing voltage of in bed outlet

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Hatchietaco, Mar 21, 2008.

1. Mar 21, 2008 at 2:29 PM
    Hatchietaco

Hatchietaco [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 Doublecab 4x4
    none yet
    has anyone had any luck increasing the voltage of the in bed outlet. i think it would only take getting a bigger power inverter in place of the stock one.? right now it is stock at 115v would need to increase it past 120, to run a air compressor.

2. Mar 21, 2008 at 3:13 PM
    Roland

Roland My other ride has sails

Member:
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    06 Impulse Red I4 2WD Access Cab
    UnderCover Tonneau, Bed mat, Bug Deflector, aFe Pro Dry S, Secondary Air Filter removed, Synthetic 5W-30 oil, Scanguage II with blendmount, WeatherTech floorliners, Toyota seat covers, Installed OEM intermittent wipers, TacomaWorld sticker, Defrost without AC mod, Hidden Hitch
    It's not the voltage you want to increase for a compressor it's wattage. I'm not sure what your compressor is like but to run mine would take a mininum of a 1500 watt inverter. If you're planning on running something like that for more than a few minutes the truck would have to stay running to power it so your best bet might be to pick up a small generator.

3. Mar 21, 2008 at 4:26 PM
    TheMaster

TheMaster Born to Ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Chicky Baby
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2007 DC TRD Sport
    Bug shield, window visors, skid plate, rust proofing, tonneau cover, paint & upholstery protection, side step bars, navigation system.
    I agree. For under $500, you'd likely pick up a generator with 2 or 4, 12 amp outlets. Its very hard to get continuous 12 amps from your truck without investing lots of money and you will have to upgrade your existing bed receptacle and associated wires to 14 gauge. You'll have to run your engine before your compressor kicks in. Too much work and its not cost effective. Check out Honda's "whisper quiet" generators and pick the one that meets your compressor's power requirements. Consider a 220 volt unit, if you can afford it.

Check out this link for ideas: http://www.macgen.com/catalog/Honda.html

4. Mar 21, 2008 at 9:38 PM
    Coreyjon

Coreyjon Northern Alliance: Airlift Div

Member:
    Upstate, Ny
    Vehicle:
    08 DCab 4X4 SR5 TRD Sport
    iPod Adapter, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75" front, Wheelers 3-leaf 1.5" + overload rear (2"), custom carrier bearing drop spacers.
    WooHoo first post. Anyway I think I just want to put my .02 cents in.

Watts is a unit of power, the sum of an equation that involves in this case Voltage, and Current (amps).

Watts (p) = Voltage (V) * Current (I)

Anywhoo yes if you have a higher wattage at a given voltage (115Volts in this case) then indeed you would be able to draw a higher current.

An air compressor (I am assuming something bigger than a typical little bike tire/ emergancy tire inflator) normally has a pretty high initial starting current that lowers - but that initial spike can be very very high.

+1 on that small honda generators - excellant quality. The outlet in the back of out trucks (I really can't say that yet - I dont get mine until wednesday) is more useful for maybe powering a small light, a smallish tv, light duty tools, recharging batteries, things that don't require lots of power. running on the 400 watt setting you could techincally draw about 3.47 amps, but that would be pushing it.

5. Mar 21, 2008 at 9:48 PM
    rhoppas

rhoppas Land of Oz

Member:
    Topeka, KS
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab V6 TRD Sport Tow
    Earnhardt Cannons, Terra Grapplers, Viper alarm, Hunter4x4 Bull Bar, 6" Pro Comp Off-Road lights, extra set of bed D-rings, Chrome exhaust tip, Metra Ipod/MP3 adapter, Garmin GPS, CarriageWorks grill, Maglite mounted to driver seat, 9" Stubbie Antenna, WeatherTech floor liners, Saddleman Neoprene seat covers, DeeZee bed mat
    Welcome Coreyjon. Good first post...

6. Mar 21, 2008 at 10:02 PM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    those honda generators are very pricey. I'd be looking into getting one of the cheap chinese knockoffs. From what I hear, they are pretty much the same thing, but don't have Honda written on them.

If you wanted to run a larger inverter, you could do that also. The inverter size is going to be dependent on the power requirements of the compressor. Be careful about getting too big of an inverter because your alternator might not be able to keep up with the inverter power draw.

Not sure what you want to use the compressor for, but you could also look into getting one of the 12v compressors. The q industries mv50 seems to be a popular choice for airing up tires or pairing with a small tank to use the occasional impact wrench.

7. Mar 21, 2008 at 10:13 PM
    Coreyjon

Member:
    Upstate, Ny
    Vehicle:
    iPod Adapter, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75" front, Wheelers 3-leaf 1.5" + overload rear (2"), custom carrier bearing drop spacers.
    Thanks guys, just "moving in" to the forums so I will have to work on my signature and the like.

I am a Crew Chief on LC-130H's. I'm based out of Scotia, Ny for the 109th AW. We are the guys who have skis on the the planes. We fly to Greenland, and Antarctica primarily. In greenland is where I drove my first Hilux - Talk about love at first site.

Not a radar guy, but I do try to hang out when other back shops are working on parts that normally I wouldnt fiddle with to try and learn more about the inner workings.

I am extreamly excited to be getting my truck. One of my other hobbies is photography so you can bet there will be photos!

8. Mar 22, 2008 at 6:22 AM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    Welcome Corey!

The other thing is it's not a simple task to swap the stock inverter for a larger one. The stock one is tied into the VSS and a CC cancel switch on the clutch (both are used to drop the power from 400w to 100w while moving). You'd have to unhook that, run new (larger) power and ground wires, and some other kind of switch if you don't want it on all the time.

I know a few people have put larger inverters in their trucks, but seriously. If you get something that puts out so much power that you want the truck running to keep the battery up the a generator is better. Figure around $100-$150 (just guessing) for a 1000w-2000w inverter, plus extra gas for the truck running, and limited to the bed or extension cords. Or you could get a generator you could use around the house, cabin, camp site, etc for $150-$500.

Like this one for $150 at Northern Tool:
    http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200313480_200313480

9. Mar 24, 2008 at 8:12 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    welcome to TW CoreyJon!

10. Mar 24, 2008 at 8:27 AM
    Coreyjon

Member:
    Upstate, Ny
    Vehicle:
    I do not mean to hijack this thread, but may I ask -

"Whats with the alliances?"

And how can I join :D

11. Mar 24, 2008 at 8:45 AM
    Hotdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    Wet Okole Underwear
    of course. Please consider the Northern Alliance. We only allow the best and the brightest.

The northern alliance has all the folks who fight against those rednecks in the Carolina Alliance.

12. May 6, 2008 at 8:52 AM
    canuck16

canuck16 Member

Member:
    in going back to the power supply question, if I were to use a generator (like the honda generator mentioned), I guess the only place for the generator is in the truck bed. I am concerned about the exhaust/CO that the generator will produce since my dog will be in the bed as well. Any other ideas?

13. May 6, 2008 at 8:59 AM
    j4x4ar3

j4x4ar3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    05 DC 4x4 - TRD Off Road - White
    Round Step Bars, Bed Mat, Cargo Bars, Rocky Mounts bike mount, JVC MP3 Head Unit, TRD Cat Back Exhaust, Rigid Industries front and rear light pods, dual HAM radio with remote mount heads.

Do you have a cap or open bed? What are you going to use it for? Can't really be used when moving down the road obviously but if you get the smaller EU2000 and EU1000 unless your dog is standing with his mouth to the exhaust it should be no problem. I've put mine under my trailer with the exhaust pointing out past the rear bumper and never had a problem. If you're really concerned about the dog put a Carbon Monoxide detector somewhere back there. Definitely wouldn't use a genny in a bed with a cap though.

14. May 6, 2008 at 9:17 AM
    Hotdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    Wet Okole Underwear
    And you shouldn't forget about the head created by a running generator. Even if you were to exhaust the fumes out of the truck bed, the heat will eventually become overbearing.

15. May 6, 2008 at 9:18 AM
    canuck16

canuck16 Member

Member:
    It would be for when I am in motion and while parking.

I would be using the EU2000i

I wonder if there is a way to port out the exhaust?

16. May 6, 2008 at 9:20 AM
    canuck16

canuck16 Member

Member:

good point, because I am looking to try to install a campershell a/c like this one:
    http://www.adventurerv.net/coleman-polar-cub-roof-air-conditioner-p-76.html

Any other ideas as to where to hide the generator? Or to produce more power for the a/c unit?
    thx

17. May 6, 2008 at 9:26 AM
    Hotdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    Wet Okole Underwear
    That's what I figured you were up to. I'd setup a small insulated enclosure inside the shell with an exhaust fan (powered by the generator) to remove heat and fumes from the insulated enslosure.

18. May 6, 2008 at 11:04 AM
    Mingy

Mingy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Milton, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    V6 uble Cab TRX/Towing
    Lear cap.
    "those honda generators are very pricey. I'd be looking into getting one of the cheap chinese knockoffs. From what I hear, they are pretty much the same thing, but don't have Honda written on them."

Believe me, there is a huge difference in just about everything between a Honda generator and a 'chinese knockoff'. Quality, startability, noise, power output, you name it. Huge difference - but you pay for it.

Products Discussed in

To Top