1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Infamous Ladder Rack Question

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by F3Pr0, Jul 12, 2016.

1. Jul 12, 2016 at 9:32 PM
    F3Pr0

F3Pr0 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Vehicle:
    i4 2016 Toyota Tacoma
    Thats why I'm here
    Alright, so I have looked for quite sometime, but, alas, it is almost time for bed SO I am going to post something in hopes that one of you lovely individuals may answer my question.

I purchased a 2016 Toyota Tacoma i4 (4cylinder) and I love it! Yes yes, it's fourcylly, however all I need it for is to haul around ladders. Ladders of such size that I do not believe that the Trac Racks will suffice. Granted, if the bed was longer it wouldn't be an issue. I also made the mistake of ordering one of those "generic universally fitting" racks from Discount Ramps. In particular, it was the Apex Universal Ladder Rack -> http://www.discountramps.com/universal-truck-rack/p/UPUT-RACK-V2/

I don't want to return it. I would like to figure out a way to install it on the truck. HOWEVER, if anyone has other options would be a fit for my following needs, that would be great.

Must go over the cab.
    Must be able to transport a 36' ladder.
    Wouldn't mind if it is easy install/uninstall.

2. Jul 13, 2016 at 12:05 PM
    F3Pr0

F3Pr0 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Vehicle:
    i4 2016 Toyota Tacoma
    Thats why I'm here
    Bump =(

3. Jul 13, 2016 at 12:09 PM
    pudge151

pudge151 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Platinum
    Why doesn't it fit? Someone will be able to help but we need more details

4. Jul 13, 2016 at 12:36 PM
    F3Pr0

F3Pr0 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Vehicle:
    i4 2016 Toyota Tacoma
    Thats why I'm here
    There isn't an "under" portion of the bedrail (not the rail on the side of the bed). From what I have come discover Toyota wants their customers to specifically use the rail system. As stated in the thread opener, the ladders I am hauling are rather large, thus I must have something over the cab of the truck as well. Thankfully, I am getting a full refund on the ladder rack, so I will be going custom or finding something that will fit my needs.

5. Aug 16, 2017 at 2:16 PM
    scarroll451

scarroll451 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tacoma Off Road Double Cab
    thule trac one rack
    I was looking at the Apex Universal. It gets good reviews, but I wonder if most people have full-size pickups. Was wondering how it'd fit on my '17 Taco double cab.

I have already purchased the Trac One, and had then figured out I need custom clamps which utilize the bed rail system, and even ones specific to the 16-17 Taco because (I think) the bed rails are further from the top? This part: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CKQPTJ8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was thinking of returning the Trac One when I saw how close together the crossbars would be (no hauling ladders or 12' stock), and the extra $80 I had to lay out for clamps. I'm going to give it a go anyway, and maybe add a crossbar to the cab if I need to.

6. Aug 16, 2017 at 2:34 PM
    BobbyBigWheels

BobbyBigWheels Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB TRD Sport 4x4
  7. Aug 16, 2017 at 3:55 PM
    scarroll451

scarroll451 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tacoma Off Road Double Cab
    thule trac one rack
    Bobby, that rack looks great. It's the first one I almost like how it's attached, to the frame (options suck now for the 16-17 model. I hate attaching to the bedrail system)

I asked them for a quote, but I'm almost certain it will be out of my price range. I'm leasing this Taco anyway... Thanks Man!

8. Aug 16, 2017 at 4:47 PM
    dksoxfan

dksoxfan Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    2017 Magnetic Gray DC TRD OR
    Fisher 6'9" SD Plow, Bak Revolver X2, TracRac Sliding Racks
    Another option to consider is the full Tracrac G2 sliding rack system. It mounts to the tops of the bed rails via bolt (similar to how it would on a full size truck with stake pockets). The downside is that you have to drill through the bed rail. However, they are rated for 1000 lbs. and you can slide the racks right off the bed when you don't want/need them (leaving the rails on, of course). I've carried 40ft ladders without issue. Due to the length of the bed (I have a double cab short bed), the ladders hang off the back about 4-5', so they need to be flagged. But the racks carry the load really easily. I've had 4 ladders plus planks on them and they don't even flinch. It's not technically sold for the Tacoma, but it's pretty easy to get a set for a regular short bed setup (e.g. for a F150) and then cut down the rails to length.

9. Aug 16, 2017 at 4:58 PM
    RocTaco

RocTaco Free stun!

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Green Mtns
    Vehicle:
    03' Reg. Cab 4x4 5MT

Products Discussed in

To Top