1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

InfidelUSA's Quicksand Build thread (DCSB OR)

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Builds (2016-2023)' started by InfidelUSA, Apr 2, 2017.

1. Apr 2, 2017 at 2:13 PM
    InfidelUSA

InfidelUSA [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sierra Vista, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma Quicksand Doublecab Short bed
    The purpose of this build is for my wife and I to be able to go off the beaten path and go camping. I want to be able to take my wife and future kids somewhere special and make memories, without breaking our bank account.

Update 06/25/2021: -Whew, what a crazy couple years!. Working on the truck is hard since I bought a house, but I'm finding time here and there.

Completed Upgrades
    :
    Interior
    MESOJDM Molle Rack (I managed to fuck up one of the rivets so its a bit lop-sided.)
    MESOJDM MLG TRD Coin tray cause trd bro and quickscopes
    MESOJDM Interior lights cause LED all the things
    MESOJDM Tail Kit (stage 2 I think)

Engine
    Volant Closed box intake (DO NOT BUY THIS INTAKE BROKE WITHIN 1 YEAR OF PURCHASE)
    MBRP Turn down exhaust (yes its loud in the cabin)

Exterior

ARB Front Bumper (summit)
    ARB- Full Skid plate set aluminum
    Caliraised Faux TRD Bro Grill
    Mesojdm's molle interior rack
    Calirasied Molle webbing for the bed

Recovery

Red Tred 100's (I only have 2 for now)
    Hilift jack with offroad pad
    1 very shitty recovery strap

Lighting
    Caliraised 3x2 amber fog lights
    Caliraised side shooting ditch lights
    Caliraised 32in led spot bar
    Morimoto Elite 5500k? kit. Bulbs subject to change.
    SQHD behind the grill lightbar mount

Suspension

ARB Old Man Emu 2 Inch Lift Kit - OMETAC16MKSB

Wheels and Tires
    286/75/16 BFG K02 load range E (Enjoyed my last set of K02's may get KM3's next time though)

Camping
    Porti Potti
    A camping stove
    sleeping pads
    Gazelle tent

ON ORDER/Uninstalled
    Arb Twin Compressor(arrived uninstalled)
    Slee mount for ARB compressor (arrived Uninstalled)
    5.29 Nitro Gears (ordered)

Whats Next
    RTT
    Bed Rack
    Roof Rack
    Replacing Intake
    Possibly a snorkel after I finish the rest of the shit listed above

Maintenance and replacement
    -Blower motor out at 10k~
    -(found during 15k svc) RR Shock blown and Rear diff leaking....shock replaced and rear diff resealed/retorqued
    -Trans TSB done: 9/24 WORKS GREAT.

NOTE PICS ARE OUT OF DATE, WILL ADD THEM WHEN I CAN GO OFF AGAIN.
    Vehicle as it sits on May 16, 2019
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
    ChadsPride and Kmann717 like this.
  2. Aug 21, 2017 at 4:52 PM
    InfidelUSA

Member:
    Sierra Vista, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Some random pictures from Patagonia, AZ during monsoon season!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11Bguy and ChadsPride like this.
  3. Aug 22, 2017 at 2:47 PM
    Kmann717

Kmann717 Member

Member:
    South Texas & North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR Quicksand
    good shit right there lol, be sure to post HP gains. Anyway, nice truck man! And if you don't mind me asking, what do you do for a living? You never know who you could "run into" on TW.

4. Aug 28, 2017 at 10:31 AM
    InfidelUSA

Member:
    Sierra Vista, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Well currently nothing! However the field I want to work in is information security. I am awaiting some things to get wrapped up right now for a job I applied for. I taught myself some of the infosec basics and am in school right now. I have my CEH and Security+ but I am going to work for CSCU and CND now. I am going to use those certs to keep CEH current. My CEH renewed my security+ till 2021. My goal is to have CISSP and CASP in 5 years or sooner after working. I might also get CCNA and MTA for shits and giggles. However it may take some time for the company to finally have my position available (6 months-1 year) hence the slow build on this. I have been working at a few other places which got me all the current parts but hopefully things will shape up soon.

5. Aug 29, 2017 at 4:25 AM
    Kmann717

Kmann717 Member

Member:
    South Texas & North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR Quicksand
    Oh no kidding! I'm studying InfoSEC, but took a break for a contract in the oil/gas industry. I'm not sure if you are looking at the offensive side but if you are, check out Offensive Security (www.offensive-security.com). They are focused on the application of skills not the memorization of terms/etc.

6. Aug 29, 2017 at 8:35 AM
    Burnall4

Burnall4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nice build! The quicksand was my second choice and if it was on the lot I might have grabbed that one instead of the white, but you can't go wrong with either!

---------------------------------------------------
    Just to hijack for a moment to throw a consideration in the ring. I am a self taught, sometimes great, most times average programmer with a focus on "just get it working, polish later if needed", with a background in a lot of things "cyber" and "security". I focus on network security now, and I went the route of system engineer for a long time. However, I have moved to Pre and Post sales engineer/solution architect...and I will just say the money is more lucrative (when you are not investing heavily and buying rental properties, lol) and actual time spent "working" allows for the pursuit of other interest. The only downside is travel, the upside on the travel, when you become senior you can usually have a more routine travel schedule which makes having an actual life easier. But definitely support the career path you pursue.

On certs, certs give you credibility & help when you don't have experience; makes finding a job easier. I personally don't have any of my certs current, the reason, built a reputation and have a portfolio of work. Found it was easier after a while to maintain my reputation and work quality then it was to have to worry about testing and retesting and paying for the certs. I do keep current on everything though in case I need to grab a cert real quick.

7. Sep 18, 2017 at 9:13 PM
    InfidelUSA

Member:
    Sierra Vista, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Light output pictures
    Please note these pictures do not do full justice to exactly how bright these lights are!
    Fogs
    [​IMG]

Fogs and headlights
    [​IMG]

Fogs, headlights, ditch lights
    [​IMG]

Fogs, ditch lights, headlights, and spot bar

[​IMG]

11Bguy likes this.
  8. Jan 18, 2018 at 5:31 PM
    InfidelUSA

Member:
    Sierra Vista, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Realized I haven't added pictures in awhile.....uploading some that I took for insta.
    Work is taking me a different direction than expected so right now I'm not spending a whole lot, or gone offroading.......Also moved into a new house so i'm tapped. I'm going to continue purchasing stuff most likely February or March ish. Still cant decide what to get for a lift.....so many choices but so little cash. Really torn between OME, Icon stage 3-4, Bilstien 5160/6112 combo, or something else. I like kings but I dont know anything about long travel or mid travel or what that entails cost wise. I might not spend anything at all by end of this year just because I'm so indecisive. I am however going to get some 255/85/16 to put on stock OR rims. I read about that in the thread and have been dying to get that done. Don't know when but ill do that soon ish too. Also I hate the opt7 LED's because even after having their anti flicker shit my headlights still flicker a ton. Going to have to do something about that too. I did get the CaliRaised Faux TRD Bro grill and its fucking nice. Well done guys. Pretty much everything I have thats Caliraised on my truck i'm happy with.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Mar 1, 2018 at 1:28 AM
    InfidelUSA

Member:
    Sierra Vista, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Well it finally happened.....First bit of trail damage. Being a novice offroader is a hard lesson to learn sometimes.....I didn't pay enough attention backing up in a tight trail and smashed my tailgate in pretty well. The pictures don't show it well but even area near the door handle is effected. I'll try and pop it out with a heat gun and some patience some day. The day wasn't a complete loss though I did get some nice pictures. Also it was absolutely freezing, unseasonably so, and I discovered today WAS NOT the day for shorts.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ^^^^^
    Also thats Fiona our new dog. She likes the sun and laying in the bed of my truck with a pillow and blanket. Other than that I don't know much about her besides shes very mellow and likes sleeping.

10. Mar 1, 2018 at 6:23 AM
    Oowen

Oowen Goes through trucks faster then underwear

Member:
    First Name:
    Owen
    Elko, NV
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB
    Garage Queen
    Nice build!! I'm working down here in Patagonia, have any cool places to wheel when my truck arrives?

InfidelUSA[OP] likes this.
  11. Mar 1, 2018 at 11:10 AM
    InfidelUSA

Member:
    Sierra Vista, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Absolutely. There is one right in Patagonia complete with a camping site some mild and challenging trails, and some interesting mines! The only thing is its sometimes inaccessible during monsoon season due to flooding, and it also gets SUPER slick. I'll even guide you to some cool spots. Also the Montezuma pass in Hereford and corresponding fire roads are a must but I would bring some protection (rifles). If you don't have one I can bring some just let know in advance. How long are you down here for?

12. Mar 1, 2018 at 11:54 AM
    Oowen

Oowen Goes through trucks faster then underwear

Member:
    First Name:
    Owen
    Elko, NV
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB
    Garage Queen
    Sounds awesome!! I'm getting used to the slick conditions, field work has me in the field rain, snow, and shine. As for wheeling I am game for any trail, especially if it leads to an old addit. I usually will have something that goes bang with me, I'll bring a couple guns down when I bring my truck down towards the end of the month. The project is supposed to be for another 16 months, but I could be down here a lot longer depending on expansions and other things.

Products Discussed in

To Top