1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Info on Detroit truetrac install

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 98fourbangertaco, May 13, 2010.

1. May 13, 2010 at 8:24 PM
    98fourbangertaco

98fourbangertaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Taylorsville, NC
    Vehicle:
    98 toyota tacoma, 4wd, SR5, 2.7L, 5-speed
    daystar 2.5in suspension lift kit, detroit truetrac in rear, custom transfer case skidplate, deckplate mod, green high-performance drop in filter, Huskyliner floor mats, 31x10.50 wild country radial mtx tires, yakima roof rack, load warrior basket, stubbs welding rock sliders, arb front bumper with warn 9,000lb winch and procomp black series 100w offroad lights, trail-gear rear bumper, borla exhaust, blacked out factory wheels, shovel mounted on roof rack, de-mudflaped
    Has anyone out there installed a detroit truetrac limited slip in the rear of their 8.4" 1 gen taco? Do you have any pictures and info on the installation, how hard was it?, do you need any special tools other than a press? I am planning on ordering one either tomorrow or over the weekend for mine and am planning for me and my dad to do the install ours selves, any info or tips would be very helpful. thanks

2. May 19, 2010 at 3:52 PM
    98fourbangertaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Taylorsville, NC
    Vehicle:
    daystar 2.5in suspension lift kit, detroit truetrac in rear, custom transfer case skidplate, deckplate mod, green high-performance drop in filter, Huskyliner floor mats, 31x10.50 wild country radial mtx tires, yakima roof rack, load warrior basket, stubbs welding rock sliders, arb front bumper with warn 9,000lb winch and procomp black series 100w offroad lights, trail-gear rear bumper, borla exhaust, blacked out factory wheels, shovel mounted on roof rack, de-mudflaped
    The truetrac should be here in the morning so I'm planing on putting it in this weekend if everything goes right

3. May 20, 2010 at 9:21 AM
    Wreckless_71

Wreckless_71 WRECKLESS for Life...

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Pullman, WA.
    Vehicle:
    98 ext cab Tacoma
    3" Lift via OME 881's, Bilstein 5100's, Dakar OME 3" leaf packs, MBRP custom exhaust, HID headlights, CB, Canopy, aluminum wheels, upgraded sound system, full set of studded snow tires and wheels, auxilary lighting, more to come.
    Sick man... what do you have for a rear end in your yota? I have what appears to be the same truck and I wanna do the same thing. Let me know how it goes, also where did you order yours..?

4. May 21, 2010 at 6:54 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
  5. May 22, 2010 at 12:49 PM
    98fourbangertaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Taylorsville, NC
    Vehicle:
    I ordered mine from a place in hickory nc called RIDES, there phone number is 828 465 3800, I got it from them cause they are like 30min from my house if I have any questions

6. May 22, 2010 at 12:51 PM
    98fourbangertaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Taylorsville, NC
    Vehicle:
    Oh and as for what kind of rear end, all the non elocker trucks had the infamus 8.4in rearend (however the ring gear actually measures 8in)

7. May 31, 2010 at 3:11 PM
    98fourbangertaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Taylorsville, NC
    Vehicle:
    I put the truetrac in this weekend and it wasn't bad at all, there is nothing to set up in a toyota rearend, I love it what little I've been off road since then and u can't feel it at all on road

8. May 31, 2010 at 6:00 PM
    Gadget@URD

Gadget@URD Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    Southern Maryland USA
    Vehicle:
    URD Supercharged XRunner
    It is not hard at all.

You just need to follow the proceedure in the Toyota FSM.

The only special tool you will need is a dial indicator to check the back lash.

Couple of tricks. Make sure you don't mix up the shim packs. What comes out of the right side, put back in the right side and do the same for the left. Chances are that will get your back lash either right on or very, very close.

Next is don't try and remove the carrier bearings form the current diff. You will likely mess them up even if you use the correct bearing puller. It is just faster and easier to get new carrier bearings from Toyota. If you don't have a shop press, you can get a shop to press them on for you before you even pull your current diff.

G

9. Aug 20, 2014 at 7:47 PM
    dapetik

dapetik Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Barboursville, Va
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport
    Magic bedcover, sweet ass floormats, rocket boosters, warp drive
    Any pics from anyone? I want this in my 2011

10. Feb 1, 2019 at 2:00 PM
    steve2267

steve2267 Small Mammal Fire Support Team

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    04 Double Cab Tacoma 3.4L 4WD/TRD
    Found an old thread whilst searching...

What is infamous about the Toyota 8.4in rearend?

Products Discussed in

To Top