1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Info regarding Bilstein 5100's

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by dunerider88, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Jun 30, 2008 at 11:24 PM
    dunerider88

dunerider88 [OP] New Member

Member:
    so-cal
    Vehicle:
    Black long bed 4x4 TRD Sprt
    I have been reading this forum for several weeks now about the best and most affordable was to lift my taco. I am leaning strongly towards an add a leaf or new leaf pack in the back and the 5100's all around. After reading almost every thread i could, i had a few unanswered questions. robrjohnson was kind enough to help me and now i'm sharing the knowledge he shared with me. This is from some one with a double cab 4x4 TRD sport with the TSB and 5100's all around set at 2.5" in the front.

Did you notice if your ride on the road after installing your 5100's and the TSB was better?

It's higher and the rear doesn't bottom out as easily. It's not as floaty as before but I think it's still comfortable. The steering feels a little lighter; some would say drifty but mine holds it's line well.

Was it uncomfortably stiff at the 2.5 setting? Some people think it is stiffer. I didn't notice too much difference in ride quality. It's a little harsher over ruts but it still rides smooth.

How easy (or hard) is it to adjust the height once installed?

I believe you'd have to take them back out or try to adjust them with the coil compressed while on the truck (that might be dangerous, I don't know). The coil has to be compressed so you can get to the clip ring. There is a clip ring around the top of the shock that holds the coil plate at the desired level. The plate that supports the coil slips over the ring so that it cannot be accessed without lifting the coil (which is good because it prevents the clip from accidently moving out of the groove).

Did the back shocks provide any extra lift? No, no extra lift in the rear from the shocks. The TSB itself will lift the rear wheelwell to about 7.5" above the tire. At 2.5" in front the Bilsteins leveled my truck. My front wheelwells are the same height from above the tire as the rear. The shape of the wheelwell in the rear makes it look like the front is higher, but I've measured it. Some have said the TSB springs will settle and drop back to the stock height but mine haven't. I don't really carry heavy loads though, so that might be why. If you think yours are going to settle, 1.75" might be better.

Finally and most importantly, if you were doing it all over again, would you go with the TSB and the 5100's all around with the fronts at the 2.5 level?

I would. The next lower height wouldn't be bad either (1.75 I believe). I've noticed that the wheels are slightly off camber (they tilt in a little at the bottom). That might be lessened at 1.75".

I would make sure you get the TSB done first. You wouldn't want them to disqualify you because of a suspension mod.

Again, thanks robrjohnson

2. Jul 1, 2008 at 4:19 AM
    Ridingontrd

Ridingontrd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Laughlin,N.V
    Vehicle:
    trd sport 4x4 w/towpkg
    aFe prodry,Dynomax ultra flo ss,Scangauge2,Demello front bumper,BudBuilt skids,sliders(local)AllPro rear bumper,Wet O's cobalt blu,w/halfpiping,TRD logo in gold,R/L hood struts,5150's@10"aal 3 pack,T/C uca,Light racing c/o,1"diff.drop,de-badged,
    Nice write up.Glad to have you aboard.

Products Discussed in

To Top