1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Inner CV boot failure (pass. side)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by P. Bauer, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Apr 14, 2011 at 7:22 AM
    P. Bauer

P. Bauer [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Jose
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    TRD S/C :: Intake Camburg SwayAway Magnaflow American Racing Donahoe Racing Wheelers OffRoad
    noticed during my last oil change that my inner pass. side CV boot had split at the seam. Not a total failure, but -2- small slices about 1" long on top of the boot seam /\/\/\. Checked the other 3 boots and they were looking good.

Background: I have a 3" lift with Sway-A-Way coilovers up front. I also added the front diff drop to keep the front axle angles within spec. I had no seams touching on the inner boot, and almost 2 touching on the outer boot (which is a bit more than stock, but not bad).

I know the procedure to change the boots and I was not looking forward to it. Took it to my local dealer and they mentioned it might be covered under warranty (45K, warranty to 100K). Service Advisor said it was up to the tech who would spot damage caused by something other than premature failure. They had to job completed within 1.5 days, but according to the tech, not covered due to failure caused by the lift. No big deal, it was a surprise when they mentioned it might be covered in the first place. $450 later, I have -2- new pass. side CV boots (inner/outer).

I had a 2006 Tacoma (identical to this 2008) and had the same diff drop kit/coilovers and never had an issue with CV failure. The other 3 on this truck looked great as well. Not complaining at all, just unlucky when it comes to CV boots. Wish they could make these things a bit more resilient....

=D

2. Apr 14, 2011 at 7:38 AM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    I had a stick take out one of mine. The dealer covered it under warranty with 15k on it:)

3. Apr 14, 2011 at 7:54 AM
    04LTtacoma

04LTtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2004 SR5 TRD tacoma
    Camburg LT
    You should just remove the axle assembly take it to a local shop(Not the dealership)and have them change out the CV boot. I would never pay toyota to replace the CV boot for 450 bucks...

To Top