1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Input shaft bearing

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by RT831, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Mar 22, 2012 at 10:05 AM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    Pinion depth on differentials can have the same symptoms. Are you sure it's coming from the front?

2. Mar 22, 2012 at 10:32 AM
    RT831

RT831 [OP] Member

Member:
    Santa Cruz
    Vehicle:
    White 4x4 SR5
    1,2,3,gears have a solid whine sound, 4th is a little more faint, and 5th is a solid whine sound again. The manual transmission fluid has never been changed but its full and is clean.
    the sound is coming from the front of the transmission or where the clutch is.

3. Mar 22, 2012 at 8:05 PM
    skytower

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    So, you have it narrowed down to either the pilot, or the input shaft bearing.

4. Mar 22, 2012 at 8:08 PM
    skytower

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    My bet would be input shaft bearing. IIRC, the input shaft bearing is behind the oil seal. The pilot bearing is forever alone, getting f'd by the input shaft with no lube.

Wulf likes this.
  5. Mar 22, 2012 at 8:11 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    This is how I feel as well.

That said, our 2004 at work has been whining for the last 40K miles. You have some time to budget for it.

6. Mar 22, 2012 at 9:38 PM
    Robertgeejr1

Robertgeejr1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Aorora, Ill, yeah!
    Vehicle:
    1996 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
    I have done all the hi-pro mods for a life time, since I got this truck at a great price, I will be happy with showroom new.
    hey, its prob not going to help this, but I would never leave fluid in a transmission that long or that many miles. Its always hard to judge how long a clutch will last, or how many miles it will go, most of it depends on the driver, riding the clutch at takeoff, or my favorite holding it half-way in to hold it on a hill. and its very hard to guess when it will die, one on my old car went 280,000 miles, and one morning it started making all kinds of noise and 2 days later I COASTED DOWNHILL and turned into concord nissan! and it was all 3 wearing in tandom... but I would get it at least checked out so you have some idea of what you need to plan on doing, its been my experance in life when you really need to go somewhere is when it is going to die.

Products Discussed in

To Top