1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Inspiration and insight needed! 2015 TRD OR DC SB 90K

Discussion in 'New Members' started by FlyinFuzzy, Dec 30, 2020.

1. Dec 30, 2020 at 9:23 AM
    FlyinFuzzy

FlyinFuzzy [OP] Member

Member:
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD OR DCSB
    Hello fellow Tacoma people!

I have owned my 2015 TRD OR, DCSB, Blue Ribbon Metallic, 90k Miles, for two years now and have only upgraded the rear bumper, wheels, tail lights, window tint, and had a remote start installed. I've been lurking in the shadows for some time now and after purchasing my first home a few months ago and finally having a garage to do projects in I thought its high time I become a member and get started on making this truck my own!

A few project categories I have planned and would love some insight/inspiration on;

1.) Switches & Wiring. I'm looking for a good switch set up, both equipment and mounting location in the cab. I'll have the switches powering relays in a J-Box under the hood, not equipment directly and I figure 6 switches is plenty for the time being. A friend used flexible conduit to get from his J-Box under the hood to inside the cab on his Silverado. I think its a great setup and may even do a line from the J-box to another J-box at the rear of the truck for the bed lights, bumper lights, etc.

2.) Lights. I have two reverse lights in my aftermarket bumper, I just need to get switches and wiring figured out. In addition I'd like ditch lights, bed lights, light bar (not sure where or what size yet, if I had a TRD Sport I'd get the bar that fits in the hood scoop, so cool imo). In my old 98' Silverado there was a trouble light under the hood that had about 20' of wound up wire that came in handy, and my glove box/center council/under dash could use a little light too. I have a set of LED headlight bulbs I'm going to put in at some point soon here as well.

3.) Auxiliary Equipment. Aside from lights I would like to add some capability/comfort enhancing equipment. Things I have interest in are as follows, in no particular order: On-Board Compressor, Side View Mirror heaters, Winch, Train Horn (maybe), etc.

4.) Off-Road Readiness. I haven't done any extreme wheeling in my truck yet as it's my daily, I'm still paying it off, and most importantly I have a bad habit of killing vehicles by being too hard on the equipment. That being said this truck has proven to happily take the beatings so I'm ever more confident/eager to hit some real trails. I'd like to know what I should do to lower the odds of being stuck or breaking things. One such mod I've had interest in is the front and rear differential breather relocation mod. I'll also be looking into traction boards and those sorts of things.

5.) Remote Capabilities. I have a Viper Remote start and it has a few auxiliary inputs from the remote/outputs from the controller that I could use to fire relays (with or without the use of another microcontroller/arduino, if required). I'm just not really sure, aside from lights and maybe the train horn, what I'd like my truck to do remotely. Maybe roll windows up (I think I saw there is a separate controller for this?)?

6.) Aesthetics. As mentioned above, I've upgraded to LED Tail Lights (Smoked), swapped in a black rear bumper, swapped in black wheels, and I've de-badged the truck less the TRD Decals. Now the last bit of chrome is the grille. I'm considering all options but may take the cheap route and simply plasti-dip or paint it (black or color match BRM). I'd like to vinyl wrap or paint a few internal components to get rid of the silver. I'm also considering upgrading my headlight housings although I really don't mind them aside from all the chrome (which, for obvious reasons is acceptable on the reflective surfaces) which I've seen plenty of options but not a lot of great reviews.

7.) Routine Maintenance. I've owned this truck for 2 years, it has about 90k, and I drive it like I stole it. I'm starting to think about things like a coolant flush, trans flush, diff fluids, and what components in the suspension may be nearing the end of their life (ball joints, tie rod ends, bearings, etc).

I really appreciate any feedback, ideas, inspiration, and tips regarding anything I'm interested in doing above, or things I haven't yet considered. I look forward to making the best use of this forum and my truck yet!

buckhuntin-tacoma likes this.
  2. Dec 30, 2020 at 9:29 AM
    TacoTyusday

TacoTyusday Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2014 White Tacoma TRD Baja
  3. Dec 30, 2020 at 9:33 AM
    Black DOG Lila

Black DOG Lila Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma SR5 2.7 5 speed 4WD
    Stock. EZ pass.Dump pass.Inspection sticker.Convict printed lic.plates.FG cap.
    Welcome to TacomaWorld
    Start with necessary maintenance
    Just do it
    IMG_20191008_145233266.jpg

buckhuntin-tacoma likes this.
  4. Dec 30, 2020 at 9:40 AM
    FlyinFuzzy

FlyinFuzzy [OP] Member

Member:
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD OR DCSB
  5. Dec 30, 2020 at 9:41 AM
    Black DOG Lila

Black DOG Lila Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma SR5 2.7 5 speed 4WD
    Stock. EZ pass.Dump pass.Inspection sticker.Convict printed lic.plates.FG cap.
  6. Dec 30, 2020 at 12:20 PM
    buckhuntin-tacoma

buckhuntin-tacoma Shed hunter

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Quincy IL
    Vehicle:
    2014 Spruce Mica Tacoma DCLB
    4 inch lift - complete blackout, n-fab step bars, Black Horse bull bar, 20 inch light bar, anytime fog lights, added led day running lights, Fuel wheels and Falken Wildpeak tires ,custom fit seat covers, Gatorback mud gaurds
    Welcome to TW!

7. Dec 31, 2020 at 9:33 AM
    FlyinFuzzy

FlyinFuzzy [OP] Member

Member:
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD OR DCSB
    Thank you!

8. Jan 2, 2021 at 5:06 AM
    boogie3478

boogie3478 Well-Known Member