1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Install Help - Recon LED Light Bar

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by pskubota, May 13, 2008.

1. May 13, 2008 at 10:40 PM
    pskubota

pskubota [OP] Wife Wants to Drive My Tacoma!

Member:
    Concord, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 SR5 4x4
    Aries Bull Bar, Recon LED Light Bar, Side Steps, Bed Divider, Door Lock Beeper
    Hello All.

I am electrically challenged and need your advise/help. I want to hard wire a RECON LED Light Bar to the back of my truck. See website below for picture.
    http://www.streetbeatcustoms.com/26412.html

I received the item today and was looking at the instructions. Basically I can either hook it up to my round four-pin trailer light connector or do a hard wire.

I am interested in hard wiring this as I don't want a bunch of wires dangling and have the trailer connector in use all the time.

The directions for hard wiring say, "...you can clip off the light bar four-pin connector and hard wire the leads directly to the vehicle taillights using the information in Figure 4. The park light lead is the one directly next to the ground." In Figure 4, the picture shows the four-way flat connection from the light bar with the Ground being the White marked wire, Park light wire coming next, with the Left Turn and Right Turn wires following.

The final instructions say, "A few vehicles utilize different bulb filaments for stoplight and turn signals. In this case a widely available adapter is required to go from a five-wire system output to a standard four-wire trailer light input. Another option in this case is to connect the left and right wires identified in Figure 4 and connect them to the vehicle brake light wire. If this is done, only the light bar running lights and brake light function will operate and not the turn signals."

Can you tell me how to "hard wire" something? Do I need some clips; do I strip the truck's wire and twist the light bar wires onto them and cover with electrical tape?
    How do I identify which wires that go to my taillight are the Ground, Park, Left, Right? And finally do I need the adapter that "goes from the five-wire system output to a standard four-wire trailer light input" as stated in the final instructions?

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks for any help you can give me. I appreciate it?

Phil.

2. May 14, 2008 at 4:54 AM
    kris77

kris77 Born in the Backwoods

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 DC TRD Sport Speedway Blue
    In channel Vent Visors, AVS Bug Shield, Hankook Dynapro RF10 265/70/17
    You could use this...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

You just insert wires and clamp down with pliers. Then snap the cover over top. Fairly simple.

Oh yeah...One more thing...a test light is your best friend. Ground the light. then touch each wire.

Ex. Touch the black wire. Have someone tap your brakes...If the light lights up...thats your break wire. If not, go to the next wire in the harness.

You should have one for brake, one for park light, signal lights, things like that...

Hope this helps...

Products Discussed in

To Top