1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Install is perfect except...

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by El Hombre Lobo, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Sep 9, 2010 at 7:59 AM
    El Hombre Lobo

El Hombre Lobo [OP] Member

Member:
    Canada
    So I've finally got everything together and booked some time off to complete an install. I kept the factory HU, but have a Re-Q5 running off it to feed an Alpine PDX-5. New speakers throughout. The install went smoothly until I did the final power up. My right front speaker is quieter then the rest, significantly quieter. It doesn't thump like the rest of my speakers. I checked the crossover (since they're component 6.5), and most of the wiring but it all checks out. I then switched channels on the Re-Q and the speaker works fine.

So could it be that the Re-Q is at fault? Or could it be improper wiring from the HU to the Re-Q? My thought is if it's improper wiring the speaker would be in-and-out, and not on but quiet?

Any tips would be appreciated! Thanks!

2. Sep 9, 2010 at 11:42 AM
    478DblSport

478DblSport Thermonuclear Protection

Member:
    Byron, GA
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver Streak Mica PreRunner DC TRD Sport
    | EXTERIOR | DiamondBack SE Tonneau Cover, Havoc HS2 Hoop Steps, Tailgate Hose Clamp Mod, Shortened OEM Antenna, DeeZee Bed Mat | INTERIOR | Flyzeye V2W (Amber/White/Amber), RAM Mt A-Pillar Mod, Audio: Pioneer AVH-X5700, PDX-5 (119Wx4+410W), Polk Audio MM6501 (F) & MM651 (R), JL Audio CP108LG-W3v3 (Sub), w/Monster, Rockford, & Streetwire cabling, Metra Dash Kit.
    You said you checked the wiring... meaning all the connections are made including a check for a swapped negative/positive wire along the way? It kinda sounds like that channel is out-of-phase.

When you switched channels and the speaker worked fine did the channel you swapped it with sound like the RF speaker did originally? In other words did that "bad" channel move? That would at least steer you towards a specific channel so you could trace it back from there.

I'm not familiar with the Re-Q but did you check the Gain level for that channel or perhaps a low-pass switch was inadvertently switched on? Or maybe you hooked the sub channel to it? I'm grasping man, sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

3. Sep 9, 2010 at 12:18 PM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    I'd try deliberately throwing it out of phase to see if that helps. Switch the positive and negative.

4. Sep 9, 2010 at 2:12 PM
    supersuk

supersuk Well-Known Member

Member:
    Honolulu, HI
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dcab TRD Sport Magnetic Gray
    Sounds!
    Maybe check the Fade/balance on the headunit?

5. Sep 9, 2010 at 5:35 PM
    El Hombre Lobo

El Hombre Lobo [OP] Member

Member:
    Canada
    It works! Looks like I mistakenly crossed two wires along the way. Thanks for all the help guys, my system kicks ass now!!!

To think just a few months ago I had no clue about electronics or car stereos. And my parents thought I was nuts to completely tear apart the interior of my new truck! Now it's all back together. It looks stock but it definitely SOUNDS otherwise!!

Thanks again to everyone who helped me along the way. Without this forum there's no way I could have tackled such a project on my own and with hardly any problems!!

Time to go make my ears bleed!

6. Sep 9, 2010 at 6:16 PM
    478DblSport

478DblSport Thermonuclear Protection

Member:
    Byron, GA
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver Streak Mica PreRunner DC TRD Sport
    | EXTERIOR | DiamondBack SE Tonneau Cover, Havoc HS2 Hoop Steps, Tailgate Hose Clamp Mod, Shortened OEM Antenna, DeeZee Bed Mat | INTERIOR | Flyzeye V2W (Amber/White/Amber), RAM Mt A-Pillar Mod, Audio: Pioneer AVH-X5700, PDX-5 (119Wx4+410W), Polk Audio MM6501 (F) & MM651 (R), JL Audio CP108LG-W3v3 (Sub), w/Monster, Rockford, & Streetwire cabling, Metra Dash Kit.

Products Discussed in

To Top