1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Install question Icon tubular UCA's

Discussion in 'ICON Vehicle Dynamics' started by spunger1, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Apr 21, 2015 at 11:34 PM
    spunger1

spunger1 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Santa Barbara
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB TRD Sport
    Icon Stage 3 lift, 265/70/17 Nitto's on Method Mesh 17" Weather Tech Floor Mats Wet Okole Seat Covers Relentless Fab Tailgate Undercover bed cover To Come: SOS Bolt on Rock Sliders/steps Full Custom Sound system (Image Dynamics CXS/CTX Speakers, JL HD900/5, 2 10TW3 subs in custom boxes built by Mr. Marv
    This is probably an easy question to answer. I'm about to put my Icon stage 3 lift kit onto my 2013 Tacoma and had a question regarding the orientation of the bushings for the UCA's. I have 4 sets of bushings, with 4 parts to each bushing (the metal sleeve, 2 end bushings, and 1 thin bushing between the 2 end bushings). I am not sure how much that makes sense but this would be my first time installing UCA's onto a vehicle. I can get pictures if necessary.

Do I want to leave all 3 of the urethane bushings and just press everything into the arm? The middle thin bushing looks like a spacer, but it has a different part # on it which leads me to think it belongs in the UCA.

So my question is do I leave that thin middle bushing out or install it with the rest and just press them all in?

Another question I had was on one UCA the grease zerks were already installed and angled towards the front (which I think is normal). On the 2nd UCA the zerks won't align the same way. I don't want to break the zerks by trying to tighten them too much. Is it safe to leave them not pointing in the same direction as long as I can get a grease gun to the ports or can I make a full turn on them to get them to line up like they are suppose to?

Those were the only 2 things I have so far. I was going to pre-assemble the control arms so they are ready to go. I just didn't know about the zerks and the bushings.

Thanks again for the help. So far I'm really liking the quality of the kit. Can't wait to get this onto the truck

2. Apr 29, 2015 at 10:44 AM
    icon_rep

icon_rep ICON Vehicle Dynamics Vendor

Member:
    Riverside, CA
    The should be configured like this in the arm. The small ring is the "anti deflection ring" and does need to be install. Also be sure to thoroughly grease every surface of the bushing, sleeve, and arm during installation for the best performance and life out out of the bushings.

[​IMG]

Regarding the zerks they do not need to be extremely tight so it should not be an issue getting them in a position that the grease gun can get to.

3. May 1, 2015 at 11:16 PM
    spunger1

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Santa Barbara
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB TRD Sport
    Icon Stage 3 lift, 265/70/17 Nitto's on Method Mesh 17" Weather Tech Floor Mats Wet Okole Seat Covers Relentless Fab Tailgate Undercover bed cover To Come: SOS Bolt on Rock Sliders/steps Full Custom Sound system (Image Dynamics CXS/CTX Speakers, JL HD900/5, 2 10TW3 subs in custom boxes built by Mr. Marv
    I had a second question. While doing the install tonight I ran in to a problem with the UCA and the gold washers that the kit had. I have 8 total gold washers. There's no way I can get the washers to go into the UCA arm like they probably are suppose to. I looked around on the site and google images and saw that a lot of the tacoma kits have 4 thick washers and 4 thin washers. All mine are the same thickness.

just wondering if this is right or if I am missing the "thicker" silver washers? I looked online and found 2 sets of instructions that one lists the different colored washers and the other is the one that I have that doesn't say anything about the washer color. IF I need to get some washers locally what size am I looking for? I would have not started if I would have known that the washers wouldn't be the right size. I already got one side together short of the UCA arm as I can't pry it far enough apart to get the gold washer to go in.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

4. May 1, 2015 at 11:30 PM
    BudMan

BudMan knee scooters R us

Member:
    First Name:
    Bret
    Alameda, CA, (Bay Area)
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport DC 4x4
    stuff
    Can't help you with your washer question, but when I installed my Camburg UCAs I NEEDED another set of hands. The washers were such a tight fit between the shock tower and arm that I couldn't get both of them in together. I had to start the washers at an angle like /\ and hold them between the arm and tower while my buddy got the arm into place then started bolt. Hope this helps. I tried for awhile solo before I called for reinforcements :oops:

sfcacique likes this.
  5. May 2, 2015 at 1:07 AM
    spunger1

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Santa Barbara
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB TRD Sport
    I may have to have a second pair of hands help then. I was watching the total chaos fab video on YouTube with the UCA install and it went smooth for the video I thought they would all be like that. There was definitely enough free space for the washers to go in on their arms.

I'll wait to hear from Icon. I know I have the right kit but no matter how much I have tried prying it's not even close for a large enough gap for the washers

6. May 4, 2015 at 3:27 PM
    icon_rep

icon_rep ICON Vehicle Dynamics Vendor

Member:
    Riverside, CA
    Yes the washers are pretty difficult to get in. What i do is put a little grease on the tip of the washer and have the second set of hands tap it lightly into position using a rubber mallet. Anything else let me know.

Thanks
    Todd

sfcacique likes this.
  7. May 4, 2015 at 10:45 PM
    spunger1

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Santa Barbara
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB TRD Sport
    Cool. Got everything in. Just need to get the rear installed.

Are the zerks a standard size (1/4-28)? I knew one side I was going to have trouble with and need to get a straight fitting.

I'll know more once I have the back installed on the ride. So far so good though. I'll adjust them once k have the back and get the rest of the wheels and tires are on.

Thanks again for all your help on this!

8. May 16, 2015 at 7:25 PM
    slcsez2000

slcsez2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    St Aug, FL
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport 4x4
    Exterior: -Current Suspension- Icon extended travel front struts w/ 700lb coils Icon extended travel Remote Resi rear shocks Dakar leaf pack Icon Tubular UCAs with covers Icon neoprene shock covers -OEM Roof Rack -2 fold down cup holders in bed -Bed bottle opener -Access lite rider roll up tonneau cover -AFE Prodry air filter -Pop and lock bed lock -Rear differential breather relocation mod (behind tail light) -Aeroturbine 2525XL Muffler Armor: -SOS Concepts bolt on sliders W/ kick out -SOS Concepts aluminum front bumper with full hoops -SOS Concepts Rear HC Bumper -SOS Concepts IFS/Mid skids
    I never was able to get the washers in. They were way too tight and really just too thick. Myself and 2 other guys tried for about an hour when finally I just decided to use one icon washer and one from my Old LR UCAs that were thinner and that worked perfect.

Products Discussed in

To Top