1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

installation

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by danlabarb_DP, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Aug 4, 2008 at 6:10 PM
    danlabarb_DP

danlabarb_DP [OP] New Member

Member:
    i am installing a ten inch sub into my tacoma but when i took apart the dash and radio i noticed there is no RCA outputs on the stock stereo is there a wiring harness or something i can get so i dont have to get a new head unit and still use the stock one

Thanks

2. Aug 4, 2008 at 6:31 PM
    TorenApart

TorenApart Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 Double Cab SR5 TRD Sport
    Toytec Ultimate Lift Kit, OME Nitrocharger shocks and Dakar leafs, Total Chaos UCA's, 18'' Black XD Monster, 285/60R18 Cooper Zeon LTZ, Leer shell, OEM Skid Plate, Weather Tech Floor Mats, Lund Tonneau, Custom 2-tone gray leather, Aero Turbine 2525 muffler with AR25 resonator, Aero Turbine Exhaust Tip, Mr. Marv subwoofer enclosure w/ 2 JL 10W3v2's, AFE Pro Dry S, Eclipse AVN-6620, Pioneer PRS-D2100T, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5'' Front Components, Black Headlight Mod, Tinted tail lights, PL5300 with Eclipse BEC-109
    Yes, you can use a line out converter, however, Toyota's head unit has a built in cross over limiting the bass signal. I would definitely recommend buying an aftermarket CD player.

I am experiencing the same exact problem right now.

According to Mr. Marv, who is the freaking man, adding bass blockers may be a work-around, although I must admit I don't understand why.

I would definitely say put your money to a decent head unit and replacement speakers. It may be a little bit of a hassle now, but in the long run you'll be glad.

3. Aug 4, 2008 at 6:33 PM
    TorenApart

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Toytec Ultimate Lift Kit, OME Nitrocharger shocks and Dakar leafs, Total Chaos UCA's, 18'' Black XD Monster, 285/60R18 Cooper Zeon LTZ, Leer shell, OEM Skid Plate, Weather Tech Floor Mats, Lund Tonneau, Custom 2-tone gray leather, Aero Turbine 2525 muffler with AR25 resonator, Aero Turbine Exhaust Tip, Mr. Marv subwoofer enclosure w/ 2 JL 10W3v2's, AFE Pro Dry S, Eclipse AVN-6620, Pioneer PRS-D2100T, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5'' Front Components, Black Headlight Mod, Tinted tail lights, PL5300 with Eclipse BEC-109
  4. Aug 4, 2008 at 6:36 PM
    Johnson8537

Johnson8537 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD SPORT 4x4 Double Cab Long bed
    Revtek Leveling Kit with 1 1/2 block spacer in rear. 17" MotoMetal blacks on 32" tires. Access Lorado Tonneau - Bed mat Billet Grill Tinted Windows Pioneer 700BT with PAC steering wheel inerface. Wet Okole Seat Covers Front and back.
    just get a new HU... spend a bit more $$$ and you will be much happier in the long run!

5. Aug 4, 2008 at 6:37 PM
    danlabarb_DP

danlabarb_DP [OP] New Member

Member:
    how much would it limit the bass cause i just have the single cab and dont need much

6. Aug 4, 2008 at 6:41 PM
    EquinsuOcha

EquinsuOcha Bourbon

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Ft Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner
    AFE Drop-in filter, Wet Okole seat covers, Hifonics 6.5" components in front, MA Audio midbasses in rear, Kicker 8", RE Audio 2 channel for components, Elemental Designs bridged 2-channel for sub, CB, Devil Horns, Rancho QuickLift, Rancho RS9000XL rear shocks, Toytec AAL, stickers, things and stuff.
  7. Aug 4, 2008 at 6:41 PM
    TorenApart

Member:
    Vehicle:

A ton at the lower frequencies. It is no good, the distortion is distracting. Your sub will never sound as good as it could.

Definitely save your money in the long run and just even just a decent HU, and possibly new speakers.

8. Aug 4, 2008 at 8:27 PM
    dually

dually Low and slow

Member:
    Interstate underpass
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno SR5 DCLB
    Just get a new HU, makes things so much easier. And think of all the added features!

9. Aug 4, 2008 at 9:01 PM
    atsaubrey

atsaubrey Dealer/Sales Rep for Sundown Audio.

Member:
    california
    Vehicle:
    blue 2007 double cab
    Sundown Audio 100.4 and 1500D, Pioneer 880PRS, Zapco Refernece 6.5" comps, 2 10" Image Dynamics IDQ, 200ft of Second Skin deadener, Kicker wire
    Agreed invest in an aftermarket head unit and the best you can afford. PERIOD! I truly love the Pioneer 880PRS or the new 800PRS (same thing for the most part) because of the versatility of it and the unlimited upgrade options. I personally use one in my Taco. Bottom line is get an aftermarket deck. You will be out $100-$1000 (depending on budget of course) with the dash kit and deck. Consider any DECENT L.O.C. will cost you at least $50. I do not know you budget of course but I have roughly $2500 in my system and IMO it could win some small SQ competitions. Remy I believe would vouch for that too. I would be MORE than happy to discuss your options on the phone just send me a pm, of course MrMarv loves talking audio as much as I do so either of us would be happy to help. :)

10. Aug 5, 2008 at 8:41 AM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    Yet another vote for an aftermarket HU. The factory decks were never meant to really do more than what they already do - it's awfully nice that there's the metra adapter for an iPod, but I wouldn't expect anything more. An aftermarket deck will provide you with not only added options, but a much cleaner sound, and as you wanted, should provide you with three sets of RCA preouts for front, rear, and sub (provided that it's of decent quality).

Take a look around online to get a feel of prices, then set a "no less than, no greater than" budget. I would assume you could do very well with $200, as I see that Alpine has the CDA-9884 and iDA-X200 on Crutchfield for that price.

Most installation places will do free deck install for any deck over $100, but know that there is an added cost for some parts.

11. Aug 5, 2008 at 8:51 AM
    MotoXFreeStyle61

MotoXFreeStyle61 Displaced Texan

Member:
    San Antonio TX
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5 4Cyl, Access Cab, 5
    Black Head Light Mod, Tacoma All Weather Mats, ScanGauge II, Tonnaeu Bed Cover, 40% Tint, Added Fog Lights, 600W x 1 Alpine MRP-M650 Amp, Alpine 10" Type-R SWR-1022D Sub, Secondary Air Filter Removed, Day Time Running Lights, K&N Drop In Air Filter (oiled), Westin Bullbar (Black Powder), Alpine IVA-W505 w/Nav, JL Audio 6.5" Front Speakers, Toyota SR5 Seat Covers, 2.5" Toytec Spacer
    +1 On the new headunit. I have used my stock head unit for the past 2 years with my 10" sub. I just recently put an aftermarket headunit and the sound is worlds better. Everything signal is sent to where it needs to go. You put a higher output and clarity to the main speakers, and my sub punches a lot clearer now.

12. Aug 5, 2008 at 9:32 AM
    Mr Marv

Mr Marv 1-831-383-0308 7am-10pm pst Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Marv
    Monterey Bay California
    Vehicle:
    Custom Built Enclosures/speaker adapters etc
    If you just have to keep the factory headunit an inexpensive route would be an LOC and bass blockers on the front speakers to block out the lows they really can't play well anyway (and will now be played by the sub). If the regular cab has the plug installed for rear speakers install the LOC to that output and you will be able to adjust level between the sub and front speakers "on the fly". If there is no rear output on the regular cab radio (I'm pretty sure there is but it may not have the plug installed) an in-line level control on the sub will do the same thing. In any case you will still be limited by the bass limiter in the headunit but from what you have stated it appears that may not be a problem for you.

Now on the other hand....:D Although I'm sure you already have the idea that an aftermarket headunit would be the ideal way to go if possible ;) I still have to mention that IMO even an inexpensive $99.00 installed headunit special from Circuit City/Best Buy would be a better/easier solution as mentioned. :)

13. Aug 7, 2008 at 7:59 PM
    sooner07

sooner07 1/2 man 1/2 amazing

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 2008 Rugged Trail
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.
    I agree fully with Marv. Get a headunit. Even an inexpensive head unit will be leaps and bounds better than the stock unit and will be the backbone of anything you decide to do in the future.

Products Discussed in

To Top