1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Installed my Icons today!!

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by rzimm001, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Oct 28, 2009 at 9:55 PM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 [OP] Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 Long-Travel
    King 10" coilovers w/ resi. 3.5" over long travel kit. Factory spindles w/ ALLPRO gussets. Total Chaos tower gussets. Energy Poly cab mounts and steering rack mounts. Glassworks fenders and bedsides. Home fabbed bed cage. King 2.5x16 bypass shocks in the rear. DMZ long travel rear end. Race radio (2meter). Removed secondary carbon air filter. Exhaust dumped before the axle / no muffler. Phram fresh air cabin filter. K&N replacement filter, After market stereo, Grillcraft grill, custom fabled roof rack with 7" HID's, PRP race seats.
    Hey guys. Just installed my Icon coilovers today and they ride absolutely amazing. I'll have some bilstein 5100's on the for sale forum soon. I did have one unfortunate mishap while installing them. I was having trouble getting one of the shocks in place and so I unscrewed the total chaos uniball to lift the upper control arm. Possibly because I did not use anti seize in the first place when I installed it, the threads on the end of the bolt became all gauled up. I just about shit myself thinking by truck would be rendered useless until I found a new bolt. Fortunately it occured to that there was still enough useable thread if I ground off the mangled threads towards the bottom. Worked great although I should still find another bolt just in case.

While I was installing the Icons I noticed something strange. I noticed that my 5100s were the same length as my extended travel Icon coilovers. You might say well than they're not the extended travel Icons, but they must be because the uniball is at its lowest limit with both shocks. Any more droop and the ball will bind. Does this mean 5100s are extended travel?? Can't be but I swear to you I measured them both side by side. What the heck is that about?

For those that are looking for another Icon testimonial... Yes they are amazing!

2. Oct 29, 2009 at 12:40 AM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 [OP] Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    King 10" coilovers w/ resi. 3.5" over long travel kit. Factory spindles w/ ALLPRO gussets. Total Chaos tower gussets. Energy Poly cab mounts and steering rack mounts. Glassworks fenders and bedsides. Home fabbed bed cage. King 2.5x16 bypass shocks in the rear. DMZ long travel rear end. Race radio (2meter). Removed secondary carbon air filter. Exhaust dumped before the axle / no muffler. Phram fresh air cabin filter. K&N replacement filter, After market stereo, Grillcraft grill, custom fabled roof rack with 7" HID's, PRP race seats.
    I dont understand what you mean. There is a spacer in the shock that restricts, or limits if you will, how much the shock will extend. The bilsteins as I understood are designed to be used with stock uca's so therefore they will not extend as far as an icon extended travel due to stress on the joint. However, my bilsteins are the same length as the Icon when completely extended.

3. Oct 29, 2009 at 2:13 AM
    Ridingontrd

Ridingontrd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Laughlin,N.V
    Vehicle:
    trd sport 4x4 w/towpkg
    aFe prodry,Dynomax ultra flo ss,Scangauge2,Demello front bumper,BudBuilt skids,sliders(local)AllPro rear bumper,Wet O's cobalt blu,w/halfpiping,TRD logo in gold,R/L hood struts,5150's@10"aal 3 pack,T/C uca,Light racing c/o,1"diff.drop,de-badged,
  4. Oct 29, 2009 at 12:57 PM
    BAP_29

BAP_29 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    05 Prerunner DC TRD Sport
    Bilstein 5100s at 2.5" and Toytec 1.5" AAL Eagle Alloy 063 Wheels on 285/60/18 Cooper Zeon LTZ tires Alpine iDA-X305 Head Unit MB Quart DKD 116 Discus-Line 6.5" Front Speakers (Baffles by Marv) Alpine 6-Disk CD Changer Toyota All-Weather Floor Mats Kobalt Low-Profile Toolbox 13" Wicked Flow Muffler w/ Chrome Tip
    Pics!!!!

5. Nov 1, 2009 at 8:37 PM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 [OP] Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    Alright guys here are the pics! Tell me what you think?

Tacoma1.jpg
    Tacoma2.jpg
    Tacoma3.jpg
    Tacoma4.jpg

6. Nov 1, 2009 at 8:43 PM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle: