1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Installed Prinsu rack on camper shell of my double cab first gen 2001 tacoma

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by shred sled, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Mar 15, 2019 at 5:48 PM
    shred sled

shred sled [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Vehicle:
    2001 4x4 Tacoma
    Hey guys,

I spent the last month really looking for a roof rack for the camper shell of my truck and had a hard time finding anything! I finally emailed Prinsu to see if they would make a rack for the camper shell of my 2001 double cab tacoma and they said yes. Apparently they do that, but don't have that as a product listed on their website.

So I got some 45" Yakima tracks installed and waited for the rack to come. When it arrived I threw it on and was pretty happy with it. It didn't come with directions by the way, so just be prepared for that, haha.

The reason why I posted this is because 1. from my experience, there aren't many roof rack options for my truck, and 2. I wanted to show others who have the same truck as me what it looks like with a Prinsu (I couldn't find any photos online).

Anyway, here it is. Let me know what you think :)

IMG_6579.jpg
    IMG_6578.jpg

eortxz, Yota X, ToyotaDriver and 2 others like this.
  2. Mar 15, 2019 at 6:39 PM
    Kleenax

Kleenax Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2001 SR5 4WD V6 Auto - Mica Green
    New frame & stuff CBI bolt-on Sliders
    I am about to do this same install (Yakima tracks) to my topper. Can you tell me why/how you determined "where" to put the tracks? In your photos, it seems that you mounted them about 3" farther in (towards the center) than I would have. I like to mount the tracks as far out towards the vertical sides of the topper as possible since that is where the weight should go.

3. Mar 16, 2019 at 12:26 PM
    shred sled

shred sled [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Vehicle:
    2001 4x4 Tacoma
    Hey,

Good question. I was thinking the same way before I got them installed. I didn’t actually install the tracks, because I didn’t want to mess up since you have to drill through the shell. Anyway, the people at the place where I got it from explained that the camper shell has a “honeycomb” about 6” in from the vertical sides of the shell. Apparently the tracks are supposed to be installed on the honey comb because it’s the strongest part of the shell.

I didn’t know that before, I thought the opposite. Also, when I called Prinsu, they told me to install the tracks no further than 33” apart. Anything over that wouldn’t fit the prinsu rack.

I’m not 100% on the 33” actually so you should double check.

In short, if I installed the tracks as close to the sides as I can I don’t think the prinsu would fit. Hope that makes sense !

4. Sep 5, 2020 at 1:43 PM
    YotainOregon

YotainOregon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    1st gen Tacoma TrD
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
  5. Dec 13, 2020 at 8:28 AM
    ruftuf

ruftuf New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2004 Limited Tacoma TRD
    What's the total added height to your shell from the middle of the roof?

6. Jan 26, 2024 at 11:43 AM
    eortxz

eortxz Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erick
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma 3.4L 4x4
    Curious how much did this cost? Prinsu is so expensive and im guessing this ran you like $700? Lol

7. Jan 26, 2024 at 4:43 PM
    nzbrock

nzbrock Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    San Marcos, TX
    Vehicle:
    99 TRD Prerunner 3RZ
    SAW 2.0 Coilovers Wheeler's 5 Leaf + 3 AAL Bilstein 5100s LCE long tube header Flowmaster Delta 50 Muffler FJ Trail Team Wheels 255/85/16 Cooper ST Maxx 4Runner overhead sunglass console 4Runner leather seats All LED lights Red/Clear Tail Light Tundra Brakes HID Projector Retrofits 4Runner Auto Up/Down Windows Bullet Liner Cargo tie down system E-locker axle swap w/4.56 Gears ARE MX Cap Prinsu Toprac Custom heated turn signal/puddle light mirrors Volant Intake Tube
    Be careful with the overhanging ends. The Prinsu rack is just 1/4" aluminum on the sides and one decent hit or pull on the corner to the side will bend it.

Products Discussed in

To Top