1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Installed replacement head lamps

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 2009tacomav6, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Nov 5, 2009 at 7:55 PM
    2009tacomav6

2009tacomav6 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    phx AZ
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4
    TRD SC TRD Cat Back KMC 17x9 Addicts
    Hello all I decided to do a small writeup on installing new headlamps on the Gen 1 truck. I ordered the parts from the ebay motors. The kit came with two head lamps, two clear corners and main headlamp bulbs. Kit came in two boxes. The intersting thing about the kit is that the clear corners were in the opposite box than the headlamps. In other words, the right corner came in the box with the left head lamp. Good thing I ordered both at the same time! I decided to keep the corners I had already since getting the bulb out was becoming a bear.

so what things did I need to install?
    Long flat head screw driver, 11mm wrench, 12mm socket and extension. Also one of these.

[​IMG]

Equiped and ready I parked the truck in the garage.

First I started with removing the grill. The grill comes off by using the flat head screw driver and unlatching the clips that hold it in place. One thing to keep in mind is that the clips are plastic and fragile. In my case an 11 year old truck and the AZ heat has made them brittle. To say the least I will be hitting the dealer up tomorrow two pick up two replacement parts.

Anyway, with the grill off the lamps were accessible. starting with the right lens, there were three bolts. The top left, bottom left and one under neath about mid way, recessed.

From the photo below you can see the top and bottom bolt. The recessed bolt is behind the small painted metal below lamp. the photo is post install.
    [​IMG]

There will be limted photos.. the bud light became distracting.
    To remove the coners one small screw from the top of the lamp, outer side, small phillips, and pull forward from this clamp. Once corner is loose you will see two small bolts. Once you get those bolts off there are two small bolts on the outer side of the lamp. These two bolts go through the frame and will require the 11mm wrench to get loose. Dont lose the bolts you will need them later!

[​IMG]

Disconnect three prong lamp plug and the lamp is free. Reinstall via opposite method and whala!.

So a photo before,
    [​IMG]

after.
    [​IMG]

Thoughts?

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Nov 5, 2009 at 9:33 PM
    WolfeTaco

WolfeTaco Baja Time

Member:
    Ojai, CA
    Vehicle:
    02' PreRunner TRD - Silver
    AFE Cold Air Intake, DTLT Ceramic Headers, Jardine Cat-Back, TRD S/C, URD fuel system upgrades (injectors & pump), URD pulley... soon to be tuned!
    NICE! I just bought and installed that same kit and put in HID's and a billet grille at the same time since I had all that shit off

3. Nov 5, 2009 at 11:32 PM
    rendog

rendog i miss my 04

Member:
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 TRD Sport
    how's that bud light wheat?

4. Nov 6, 2009 at 10:10 AM
    2009tacomav6

Member:
    phx AZ
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4
    The bud light wheat was ok.. would not be my first choice. I have become a huge fan of the Sam Adams octoberfest beer... not sure why, I am not usually a sam adams person but man is it tasty!

5. Nov 6, 2009 at 10:24 AM
    2009tacomav6

Member:
    phx AZ
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4
    ordered new clips today to replace old fragile plastic ones I damaged in repair. Now I need to aim them. I was going to aim them last night but my rear springs are so worn out my truck rides tail down. I have new OME springs on order for 90 days now, but they are still not in stock. I hope they will be here next week.

6. Nov 6, 2009 at 10:29 AM
    WolfeTaco

WolfeTaco Baja Time

Member:
    Ojai, CA
    Vehicle:
    02' PreRunner TRD - Silver
    AFE Cold Air Intake, DTLT Ceramic Headers, Jardine Cat-Back, TRD S/C, URD fuel system upgrades (injectors & pump), URD pulley... soon to be tuned!
    where did you order the clips?? I busted one of mine too... and a tail light grommet type thing.

Did you find em on line or go thru toyota?

7. Nov 7, 2009 at 6:19 AM
    2009tacomav6

Member:
    phx AZ
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4
    got my clips through the dealer... 7 bucks each! DAmn it!

8. Nov 7, 2009 at 6:25 AM
    ChrisYoTaCoMa

ChrisYoTaCoMa Chrome's for Harleys and old farts

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Estero, Floriduh
    Vehicle:
    00 Taco 4x4 Ex cab 2.7 sr5 AT
    New Pioneer stereo, and all 4 speakers with Infinity components. Sirius satellite radio. Deckplate mod done. Door buzzer silenced forever thank God, tinted windows, vent visors, hood protector(bug guard), ceramic pads and new rotors, dechromed EVERYTHING. 2" Lift front 3" rear. Skyjacker AAL's and replacement leafs(and front spacers) from Fatbobsgarage.com. Skyjacker 7000 Hydro rear shocks, those Bilstein 5100 fronts are coming soon!
    I ordered my new lights... It's all your fault!!! LOL.....

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.

Products Discussed in

To Top