1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Installed Updated OME Dakars (New Part Number) and Bushings

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by NiteTaco, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Apr 29, 2017 at 1:39 PM
    NiteTaco

NiteTaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Alabama
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD DCSB
    So, I pulled the trigger a few weeks ago on the new OME Dakar part number leaf springs. I haven't seen anything about the new part number on here yet, so I though I would share a few of my experiences with the leafs and the install...the new OME part number is EL095R :thumbsup:

I ordered mine from LowRange (https://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=el095). Since I couldn't find the new part number on TW anywhere, I called ARB USA HQs and to get the new part number for the ones with the isolators on each leaf end and also between each support leaf in the center of the pack (but I noticed there aren't isolators between the overloads). He told me it's the same as the old part number (CS047R IIRC), just with the isolators. Then I searched all of the usual Dakar vendors and LowRange was the only one at the time that showed them on their website--so I went with them. They we're drop shipped direct from ARB to the house earlier this week.

The first thing I noticed was that the paint was really flaking off the brackets that keep the leafs aligned...not a show stopper, but a little disappointed. There was no packaging on them, so I'm not sure if it was bad paint on the smooth metal or if they were just tossed around in shipping. I'll just shoot them with a little self etching primer and paint sometime down the road :rolleyes:.

After devoting every free minute of my already busy life to reading a gajillion TW posts on the old part number (thanks for all of the leg work @OZ-T ), I just KNEW that I'd end up at 24"+ center of hub to fender if I went with the full pack (DCSB 4x4 with a Leer Camper and a Bed Slide so probably 200-250ish lbs in back). I really wanted to be around 1" of rake since I'm running 885s upfront with an ARB bumper (no winch) that settled in around 22.25 to 22.5 in the front. I loved the plush ride of my old Skyjackers, but after going to 885s, I wanted to go a little more in back (it was level with the Skyjackers).

With the awesome help of my son @Unner :militarypress:we pulled the top overload expecting to be around 23.5" in back. We also installed the complete Energy Suspension bushing kit (both leaf eyes and the shackle). The shackle bushings were a pain to get out!!! I knew they were the two half bushings that insert from either side and working the metal flange seemed like the best way to get them out. I know a lot of people beat the rubber part out and then cut them, but I just had to try it differently. I did the first one with a 4lb mini sledge and chisel (combined with a lot of brute force and ignorance :D) and eventually it started moving and got it to pop out. Then my son said an air hammer would work great if we had one...then it struck me that we did have one in the air tool kit I bought years ago. :anonymous: . We stuck a chisel tip in it and it worked AWESOME! They came right out.

Also, I always hated how the poly bushing kits give you those tiny tubes of special lube and it's only enough to do 1/2 of the job, so I ordered a tub (not tube) of the Energy Suspension lube for about $11 and was able to slather it on thick...well worth it! So after a couple hours of work and getting everything back together, we lowered it off the jack stands but hadn't driven it yet. I was torquing down the one leaf and my son grabbed the tape measure. It was actually sitting at 22.5 in the back before any settling!!! What the....:censored: My son has a crap-ton of off-road wrenching experience since he has a very capable 01 4Runner he built himself, but I did verify his measurements were correct :facepalm:. Yep, my new model Dakars with the top overload removed netted me exactly a WHOPPING QUARTER INCH!!!

Since we already had everything already there, we did a partial disassembly on the truck, split the packs, reinstalled the overloads and center pins, reassembled, and put it back on the ground. Grabbed the tape measure and it's now at 23.5 in back...exactly where I wanted to be, but I never thought I would be there with the full Dakar pack. I honestly don't get it, but I'm happy with how they ride and that I did end up at my desired height with full load capacity.
    :cheers:

I'm wondering if the addition of the isolators on each leaf may reduce the friction allowing for better travel and flex? Has anyone experienced reduced height after installing leaf liners or isolators? I also noticed that the receipt shows "Stock Load" in the description...does anyone with a receipt for their CS047R leafs show "Stock Load"?

In the end...I'm very happy with them so far and if they settle much after I get some miles on them, I'll try to update this post.

2. Apr 29, 2017 at 1:45 PM
    TACOVRD

TACOVRD I Identify As A Prius

Member:
    First Name:
    TW Addict
    AZ/WA
    Vehicle:
    2019 T4R ORP - Formerly 2013 DCSB OR Spruce Mica
    Workin' on it....
    Cool! Thanks for the info!

3. Apr 29, 2017 at 4:13 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Were there + , - or 0 makings in the leafs and if so what were they ?

And I believe the stock load refers to a pack that does not have the optional d29xl Dakar AAL

4. Apr 29, 2017 at 4:39 PM
    NiteTaco

Member:
    North Alabama
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD DCSB
    Thanks Oz...makes sense about stock load. They're both + which is even more odd that they seem to be so low.

I noticed that when it was on the ground without the top overload, that the regular springs were closed to touching the ends of the smaller overload. Weird that it gained back a full inch by putting the top overload back in...I didn't think it would change more than the thickness of the OL leaf.

5. Apr 30, 2017 at 10:08 PM
    Unner

Unner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntsville, AL
    Vehicle:
    01 4Runner 4x4, 08 4Runner 4x4
    2001 4Runner, Lifted, Armored, 33s 2008 4Runner Stock
    Hopefully they don't sag so we don't have to do it again! :fingerscrossed:

6. May 3, 2017 at 7:25 AM
    jztacoma

jztacoma Trust me I’m an Engineer

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma TRD Offroad
    Semi Stockish
    so the difference between the new and old leaf packs are just the isolators which is to help with squeaking right? the newer number is almost $40 more and kind of wondering if its worth it

7. May 3, 2017 at 8:05 AM
    NiteTaco

Member:
    North Alabama
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD DCSB
    Yeah...about $40 more for the pair (not each). I guess it depends on if the other one's squeak, how bad they squeak, and if you would do the mods to add the pads on the ends and isolators/leaf liners like others have. To me, it was worth it so far, but I'm really waiting to see if they drop any more in the back.

8. May 3, 2017 at 8:06 AM
    jztacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma TRD Offroad
    Semi Stockish
    yeah doing the shop around and basically down to Low Range and Headstrong due to them offering free shipping on the leaf springs.
    You got about 3" of lift with the full pack?

9. May 3, 2017 at 8:07 AM
    stronghammer

stronghammer STTDB

Member:
    First Name:
    Scotty
    Huntsville, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM DCSB TRD Sport 4WD
    Why are you not in our Bama thread?!

10. May 3, 2017 at 8:16 AM
    NiteTaco

Member:
    North Alabama
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD DCSB
    I agree with both vendors, but due to timing, unfortunately Headstrong was closed due to moving to their new store location. I've heard great things about them both.

As far as lift, I went from Skyjacker leaf packs that already had me about 1.5" over the tsb leaf height to the Dakars with netted me an additional 1" or so over the Skyjackers. I measured yesterday after only a few miles and was at 23.25 DS and 23.5 PS with my Leer camper shell and a bedslide in the back permanently, which makes a difference.

11. May 3, 2017 at 8:18 AM
    jztacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma TRD Offroad
    Semi Stockish
    ok makes sense then, basically with 200ish pounds of stuff you netted out 2.5" lift over stock

12. May 3, 2017 at 8:20 AM
    NiteTaco

Member:
    North Alabama
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD DCSB
    I'm anti-social and I heard you guys are mean...just kidding! :thumbsup:

I do follow the Bama thread occasionally...do I need to join it somehow?

stronghammer[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. May 3, 2017 at 8:22 AM
    NiteTaco

Member:
    North Alabama
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD DCSB
    Sounds about right.

jztacoma[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. May 3, 2017 at 8:22 AM
    stronghammer

stronghammer STTDB

Member:
    First Name:
    Scotty
    Huntsville, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM DCSB TRD Sport 4WD
    haha well we aren't super nice I'll put it that way. we rib each other.

nah no "joining" just go over to it and comment along if you want. it's usually just some BS.

15. May 3, 2017 at 8:25 AM
    NiteTaco

Member:
    North Alabama
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD DCSB
    Gotcha...I'll try to come out of my cave more often :spy:

stronghammer likes this.
  16. May 15, 2017 at 12:39 PM
    Mountain

Mountain Well-Known Member

Member:
    Revelstoke BC
    Vehicle:
    15 Acess Cab TRD
    Clay7160 likes this.
  17. May 24, 2017 at 8:21 PM
    Sna

Sna Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    ‘15 trd sport 6MT dcsb, mostly stock?
    As I posted in the above thread....and I agree with the above, it seems like you got what amounts to the CS047R pack with the 3rd leaf removed.

I just got a set of CS047R Dakars plus the d29xl aal from a local (good) dealership. The Dakars were the updated version with yellow puck style isolators on all leafs, no front OEM style bushing and also had the centre isolators. The d29xl was drilled and had isolators installed before I put them into the pack so I'm now running 6 leafs with 2 overloads. Honestly my Dakar pack looks nicer than ARB/OME's new product number Dakars.....glad I got the old style.

Here is a crappy iPhone pic from after I finished installing the d29xl aal.

image.jpg

TACOVRD and IronPeak like this.
  18. Jun 26, 2017 at 10:38 PM
    Clay7160

Clay7160 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM TRDOR DCLB 4x4
    GYEON ceramic coating

When i look at the pictures of the springs you received, i count 4 main leaf springs, with 2 overload springs which make sense since they sent you the "standard load". The "heavy load" comes with 5 main leaf springs, and 2 overload springs which handles 300lbs (660kg) of constant load and will net 15mm higher ride height. The "heavy load" is what the older part number Dakars are set up as.

19. Jul 12, 2017 at 8:22 PM
    lpfe42

lpfe42 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenny
    Santa Barbara County
    Vehicle:
    20 DCSB CEMENT
    5100/887 Icon uca
    Do have any photos before and after?

20. Jul 12, 2017 at 8:24 PM