1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

installed Volant Intake with Ram Air

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by sockmonkey, Dec 11, 2008.

1. Aug 27, 2014 at 9:42 PM
    nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    FYI all these CAI claiming lower intake temps are pretty much a lie...

Look at the facts. cruising speed with stock intake ill see MAYBE 4-8*F above ambient, and this is with an air intake temp sensor much more centrally located on top of the motor where more heat is. This actually gives you a better air intake temperature reading, as you are closer to the cylinders. Aftermarket CAI's move the air intake temp sensor further to the opening of the air intake, giving you a false cooler reading. What i would really love to see is a comparison between the intakes sock and aftermarket with a temp sensor in the actual intake plenum (after the throttle body)... i suspect you are going to MAYBE see 1-2* of real difference. It would be better off if you insulated the stock air box and ducting so the air charge isnt heated slightly before the motor... even then gains wont be much.

Your seat of the pants might say you netted more power.... but its simply the extra noise. You likely lost power.

Save your money, unless you are running the supercharger with upgrades that actually necessitates increased breathing the stock intake is your best bet.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  2. Aug 28, 2014 at 6:18 AM
    B737

B737 Throbbing Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Jersey Shore
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Double Cab Limited
    stock

THIS.

3. Sep 1, 2014 at 5:12 AM
    sockmonkey

sockmonkey [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Benbrook, SW Fort Worth
    Vehicle:
    2007 White Dbl Cab Pre-Runner
    Volant Ram Air intake,URD MAF calibrator, Mr Marv 10" sub box, Alpine HU, Alpine Amp, fog light mod, scan gauge II, RAAMmat front and rear doors, Wet Okole seat covers, blacked out dash. blacked out front bumper. American Racing Mojave Teflons wrapped with 265/70/16 Pathfinder AT. NST Lite Pulleys
    guess what....i don't care :cookiemonster:.

i never claimed any benefits other than a noticeable throttle response.
    and said it actually lowered my mpg.

the sensor cannot be positioned much further out because of the wire length.
    so it is within an inch or so...it might actually be closer to the throttle body.

Products Discussed in

To Top