1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Installing a Hooke Road roof rack, what did you do with your weatherstripping?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by MidnightRebel07, Apr 18, 2024.

1. Apr 18, 2024 at 7:25 PM
    MidnightRebel07

MidnightRebel07 [OP] If you're gonna be a bear, Be a Grizzly !

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Northside of Pittsburgh, Pa.
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma BAJA T/X dcsb
    Ironman Foam Cell Pro suspension, Anso black headlight housings, l.e.d. headlights, black taillights, Demello steel front bumper with highlight 7" l.e.d. round lights, Diode Dynamics Amber SS3 Pro lights, Hooke Road steel rear bumper with Nighlight reverse lights, Hooke Road roof rack, Ultima Aluminum toolbox, Weathertech floor mats, EGR in channel ventshades, Snorkel, K&N air filter and cabin air filter, 265/75/16 Cooper ST Maxx, Firestone ride rite airbags, Bentrodders bed reinforcements, too many other things to remember.
    So I'm installing a Hooke Road roof rack on my 2013 Tacoma Baja T/X dcsb. My question is what did y'all do for the weatherstripping? Did you just remove all of it, including the rear piece? Did you seal the opening on the top corner of the windshield and rear window? Did you leave the weatherstripping on and just drill holes through it? Any pictures, videos, links and advice would be greatly appreciated. Picture is just test fit sitting in place, not bolted down yet.

20240418_181833.jpg

20240418_181838.jpg
    20240418_181844.jpg

Last edited: Apr 19, 2024
  2. Apr 19, 2024 at 7:51 AM
    MidnightRebel07

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Vehicle:
    Ironman Foam Cell Pro suspension, Anso black headlight housings, l.e.d. headlights, black taillights, Demello steel front bumper with highlight 7" l.e.d. round lights, Diode Dynamics Amber SS3 Pro lights, Hooke Road steel rear bumper with Nighlight reverse lights, Hooke Road roof rack, Ultima Aluminum toolbox, Weathertech floor mats, EGR in channel ventshades, Snorkel, K&N air filter and cabin air filter, 265/75/16 Cooper ST Maxx, Firestone ride rite airbags, Bentrodders bed reinforcements, too many other things to remember.
    So nobody here has a roof rack on their Tacoma ?

3. Apr 19, 2024 at 8:09 AM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch, Sherpa Grand Teton/Crows nest, Baja Designs S8 light bar, Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro fog lights
    I just installed a Sherpa rack and replaced the rubber strip in sections to fit around the mounting brackets. There's a small metal rod inside the rubber strip... used snips to cut. Also, i replaced with double back tape and ashesive to secure it back in place.

MidnightRebel07[OP] likes this.
  4. Apr 19, 2024 at 8:44 AM
    MidnightRebel07

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Vehicle:
    That's what I was thinking about doing but than there's low spots for water and snow to sit in. I was thinking about taking the rubber stripping off completely from windshield o rear window and using black caulking to seal the edges of the windows so water doesn't get down inside there, so without the rubber strip there at all water and snow can run off easier. Not 100% sold on either idea yet. Thanks for the reply.

5. Apr 19, 2024 at 9:08 AM
    fiftysix

fiftysix Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD OR
    Pulled rubber strips, cut sections for rubber blocks on sherpa rack, placed strips back with no tape. Cut one too short and had to cut another little piece to fit in there, and nothing has moved since

6. Apr 19, 2024 at 9:09 AM
    AusBerg

AusBerg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    North MN
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD OR DCLB
    When putting my rack on, I marked where the bolt holes go, popped it off, and used a chisel to cut out a small hexagon within the strip, then reinstalled it as normal, and while mounting my rack, I used silicone on the newly acquired holes for peace of mind.

7. Apr 19, 2024 at 6:18 PM
    Arrowshot

Arrowshot Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma 4X4
    A Crap Load
    Have a Baja rack and drilled holes through the stripping. Did pull it up for fitment and recently had to pull it up again and silicone it to prevent a leak in front drivers side coming down the pillar.

8. Apr 19, 2024 at 9:25 PM
    TacoTuesday1

TacoTuesday1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
  9. Apr 22, 2024 at 9:14 AM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch, Sherpa Grand Teton/Crows nest, Baja Designs S8 light bar, Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro fog lights
    Decided to redo mine after reading this thread. Ran sealent/adhesive down both sides of roof track edges, front/rear ends, where each piece meets the rack mounting locations, and reinstalled rubber strips. 100% water tight and secure.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2024
  10. Apr 30, 2024 at 2:55 PM
    jamestcurran

jamestcurran Member

Member:
    Interesting thread - thanks for posting. I'm looking at getting the same rack.
    What's your verdict so far? Good/bad/indifferent - would you buy again?

11. Apr 30, 2024 at 3:12 PM
    MidnightRebel07

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Vehicle:
    I like it, wind noise is noticeable above 30-35mph.

I ended up removing the main piece of stripping and left the curved portion on the rear of the cab. I mounted the rack on the top bottom bolt holes on the front brackets and top on the rear brackets so I wouldn't be able to put the stripping back on anyway. This will allow rain and snow to easily clean out of those channels. I did mount the bracket-to-roof brackets with different regular style hex head bolts (way easier, no chance of stripping the allen head holes out). I put silicone down in each roof bolt hole before screwing them in, added alittle more on top. You can't see any of them unless you climb up on the steps or in the bed and look from the top.

20240430_180448.jpg

20240430_180441.jpg

20240430_180433.jpg

20240430_180428.jpg

20240430_180425.jpg

12. Apr 30, 2024 at 3:21 PM
    BLT2GO

BLT2GO Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 White Tacoma TRD TX
    When I installed the Hooke rack on my T/X I pulled the one remaining trim strip off and went without them. I also used Butyl tape under the brackets to try and keep the roof holes watertight. I tried using silicone first but that leaked allowing water onto the headliner which dropped from my A Pillars and in the middle near the mirror.

Products Discussed in

To Top