1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

installing a lift on my truck in the near future.

Discussion in 'Northern California' started by Lil'Taco, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Aug 7, 2012 at 6:27 PM
    JLee

JLee The Man! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 Extra cab SAS Linked front and rear
    I lost track thousands of dollars ago.
    I would wait until you get the gussets to do the install at least the cam gussets because you pretty much need to remove everything to install those. I guess the spindle gusset can wait but i would order those cam bolt gussets now.

2. Aug 7, 2012 at 6:34 PM
    RJALLDAY702

RJALLDAY702 U MAD? OH U MAD

Member:
    First Name:
    RJ
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2014 Toyota 4Runner
    6" Ruff Country DBL
  3. Aug 7, 2012 at 6:35 PM
    Greensystemsgo

Greensystemsgo 1 owner with clean car fox.

Member:
    First Name:
    Dirty Nickers
    Peoria, AZ
    Vehicle:
    18 year old black taco...
    Bone Stock.
    sub'd for results

4. Aug 7, 2012 at 8:17 PM
    Lil'Taco

Lil'Taco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scotty
    Wilsonville
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner Sport DCSB
    Total Chaos +2" Long Travel, Coil Bucket Gussets, Spindle Gussets, LCA Cam Gussets, Glassworks 4" fenders, B.A.M.F. rock sliders with fill plates, Decked Drawer system, aFe CAI, Borla Cat-back exhaust, Blitzpro 21S LED light bar w/ B.A.M.F. behind the grill light bar mount, Red Label Off-road tube bumper, Redline hood struts, Grillcraft grill, Weather Tech floor mats, HID headlights and fog lights... It has more stuff done to it now.
    Damn I really wanted to do this this weekend! How has good gussets, which ones should I get and do you make them? I guess I can push it back another week if I have too, if anything wait till I'm on leave at the end of the month... :/ I had planned on eventually getting spindle gussets or maybe even some race spindles, and I know about shock bucket gussets. What other ones are there that I need/should have?

5. Aug 7, 2012 at 8:35 PM
    lembowski

lembowski Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Rolando, CA
    Vehicle:
    Jeeper Creeper
    http://www.chaosfab.com/toyaccess_05taco.php

6. Aug 7, 2012 at 8:39 PM
    Lil'Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Scotty
    Wilsonville
    Vehicle:
    Total Chaos +2" Long Travel, Coil Bucket Gussets, Spindle Gussets, LCA Cam Gussets, Glassworks 4" fenders, B.A.M.F. rock sliders with fill plates, Decked Drawer system, aFe CAI, Borla Cat-back exhaust, Blitzpro 21S LED light bar w/ B.A.M.F. behind the grill light bar mount, Red Label Off-road tube bumper, Redline hood struts, Grillcraft grill, Weather Tech floor mats, HID headlights and fog lights... It has more stuff done to it now.
    So just cam gussets and spindle gussets? Anything else that total chaos doesn't advertise for tacoma?

7. Aug 7, 2012 at 8:58 PM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    Now paging Seth. Sorry...we got stuck in traffic...lol

8. Aug 7, 2012 at 9:01 PM
    anthony250f

anthony250f Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 dcsb trd offroad 4wd
    cam tab gussets....spindle gussets....coil bucket gussets...motor mounts

9. Aug 7, 2012 at 9:04 PM
    PreRunnerSeth

PreRunnerSeth Well-Known Member

Member:
    Apex, NC
    Vehicle:
    16 Super White Limited 4x4
    Yeah, my welder isnt strong enough to do that stuff. Maybe the cam bolt gussets, but i doubt any of the other stuff. But, that being said I cant guarantee we can do much after this weekend. We are out of town next weekend for the baby shower. Slightly possible the weekend after, but we will still need someone to bring a welder. I can probably borrow my bosses welder. Its the same one jerry used to have and would do the job, but I dont have the welding experience so we would need someone to come and help with that part.

10. Aug 7, 2012 at 9:15 PM
    Lil'Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Scotty
    Wilsonville
    Vehicle:
    I saw the cam and spindle gussets for Tacoma, but only coil bucket for 4runner and FJ. From the "so you want to LT" sticky thread, it says I SHOULD do engine mounts And it's very good idea to double shear the UCA mounts. Does someone make and sell these?

11. Aug 7, 2012 at 10:15 PM
    jberry813

jberry813 Professional Fluffer Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    ...too much shit to list.

Double shear UCA mounts = coil bucket gussets. Two different phrases for the same thing.
    If you want to stick with Chaos parts, the part number is 59653. Expect these to take AT LEAST half a day. It took me close to 7 hours to do mine and I didn't have a motor in my truck at the time so welding was much simpler (I used TC's).
    Solo motorsports also sells their own brand. They come in more pieces and allegedly fit better than the TC ones as they don't require as much grinding fitment. Jerry installed these on Rob's old prerunner and from what I heard, he said he would never do it again unless more $$$$ was involved. I know solo also has a double sheer and secondary shock hoop combo kit now available for the first gens that makes that coil bucket ridiculousness strong. Not sure about the second gens though.
    Solo makes a WIY motor mount gusset kit and DMZ makes a full on motor mount kit for solid engine mounts. Both are probably overkill for you, but it all depends on how you drive.

12. Aug 7, 2012 at 10:20 PM
    jberry813

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    Not sure what your welder can handle, but FWIW the cam backing plates are 1/8" chromoly and the side plates are 1/4". Coil bucket gussets are 3/16. Spindle gussets are only 1/8" also but you wanna get deep penetration on those.

13. Aug 7, 2012 at 11:00 PM
    Lil'Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Scotty
    Wilsonville
    Vehicle:
    Ok so here is what I'm thinking... I do plan on getting the gussets but would really like to install this stuff this weekend. I don't plan on doing anything much more then what my truck can handle now until I get everything installed. I know it is redundant to install the suspension now only to remove it later to gusset, but can it be done with only moving what's in the way without to much more effort? It's not like there are any extra forces at factor by just having an lt kit installed is there? I wouldn't actually break something going over a speed bump with as without? I just don't get a whole lot of time to get stuff done like this and would hate to not get this done when I can get the help. How are the cam gussets to install?

14. Aug 7, 2012 at 11:19 PM
    jberry813

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    Like Jerry said, everything else but the cam gussets "can" be done, its just easier when you have nothing in the fenderwell.

The cam tabs however are a bitch. It took me a few hours just to remove the old ones. You have to grind out the spot welds and beat the shit out of them till they come off. I used an air chisel and i constantly had to wait for the damn tank to fill up again. Then you have to grind it smooth. I also had to remove every bolt on the the steering rack and wiggle it out of the way to get the the inside tabs. Not sure about the second gens there since the rack is on the front of the engine instead of the back. Also requires getting another alignment since you have to pull and move the camber bolts. If you didn't want to worry about the cam gussets you could have got the heim vesion of the UCA's then you can just weld the camber tabs to the frame and adjust camber/caster with the UCA's.

In the end, it's your truck and your time/money. You can certainly install an LT kit and gusset nothing, people on here do it all the time. Just trying to help you from ending up like this

DSC_5373_cfa4521f8d85c8f0a4ad5f9b83beb59c1e80c3c3.jpg

DSC_5378_792018a152222c7e0756d53b5296292974cdabfb.jpg

15. Aug 8, 2012 at 12:06 AM
    Lil'Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Scotty
    Wilsonville
    Vehicle:
    Alright thanks, I understand what you are trying to prevent me from experiencing. In the pictures it looks like it was just the spindle that failed no? I have emailed DMZ (where I ordered the lt kit from) and asked Tim if he had some of all the gussets on hand to send my way. Then I saw what Mjp2 had done with his lower Control arm cam tab gussets...

Post 12
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2n...ff-road-prerunner-bumpers-post-some-pics.html

Jerry, would this be to far out of the question for you to just fab something up to reinforce the tabs? If so I guess I can just wait to get the total chaos ones shipped. But I'd still like to get all the gussets installed by you.

16. Aug 8, 2012 at 6:49 AM
    lembowski

lembowski Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Rolando, CA
    Vehicle:
    Jeeper Creeper
    Just weld a bead on the backside of the stock tabs until you have time to get the guessets installed. This will prevent them from just ripping off like mine did.

17. Aug 8, 2012 at 8:10 AM
    PreRunnerSeth

Member:
    Apex, NC
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, talked to the wife last night and the weekend after next is my Father in Laws birthday. Then the holiday weekend, then another baby shower. so if you want to do this at my house it's pretty much gotta be this weekend, because after all that the wife will be pretty much be ready to pop at any moment.

How thick is the metal on the cross member? If its under 1/4" I can shoot a bead down each side with my welder.

18. Aug 8, 2012 at 9:17 AM
    JLee

JLee The Man! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 Extra cab SAS Linked front and rear
    I lost track thousands of dollars ago.

It's less then 1/4" your welder would be fine with the cam gussets just run it hot and slow. All the other stuff can be done after pretty easily those cam gussets should be done at the time of the LT install.

19. Aug 8, 2012 at 9:32 AM
    PreRunnerSeth

Member:
    Apex, NC
    Vehicle:
    ok, maybe he can get cam gussets overnighted.

20. Aug 8, 2012 at 9:33 AM
    Cr250jumper

Cr250jumper Señor member

Member:
    The moon
    Vehicle:
    50 shades of tan©
    Tacoma with some stuff melted to it
    Or you could wrap the whole LCA mount :D I have taken some pretty good hits and my steering wheel is still perfectly straight and no wandering

[​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top