1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Installing Bluetooth and Qi charger into factory tacoma stereo unit

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tan-ishman, Dec 18, 2015.

1. Dec 18, 2015 at 7:54 AM
    tan-ishman

tan-ishman [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego,CA
    Vehicle:
    2005 DCSB
    a bunch of new/used parts....and some skids.
    I drive a 2005 DCSB 6sp Manual. I HATE aux/charging cords!

The 2016 taco has some nice features that I really want to add to my 2nd gen including QI wireless charging and Bluetooth. I'd like to hide these two features and utilize two rocker switches to enable them when needed so I don't burn out any bluetooth receivers or charging stations.

I Purchased a "mint" 08 radio from craigslist this past week up here in VT and I want to perform this mod but keep the inside of the cab looking almost entirely stock. The aftermarket radio was just too bright, I do a lot of long night driving, but more importantly I don't want any more cords getting in my way. The rest of the truck looks pretty great with no dings and a full frame recall 6 months ago.

Here's my cautious plan:

Bluetooth
    using this dongle --> http://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Boat-Stereo-Receiver-Adaptor-Converter-Receiver-Dongle/dp/B00JAPZRH2

I want to run the input cables to the CD input ribbon as noted by Sandman614's Audio Aux install (post# 33213680). I want to run the power (12V) to a rocker switch and install the rocker into the dash beneath the radio unit (keep the wiring close together). This will allow me to turn on the bluetooth when I need it or play a CD. I can't leave the Bluetooth always on or it will take priority over the CD player indefinitely.

Does anyone suggest a good power source for the 12v? I was thinking to utilize the head unit power supply and splice into it, but I'm not sure if this will cause any issues with the head unit functioning.

Qi Wireless Charger

I'm hoping to use a Three Coil Qi charging pad because of its increased charging capabilities at different orientations. I'd like to install it in the pocket in front of my shift stick as it should have enough space to make full contact with the phone. I'm hoping having a two part system, the charging pad and converter, means they can be easily replaced if they "burn out" or stop functioning in the future.

Charging pad --> http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00V2A5ZFW
    12V to 5V 3A converter --> http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D6B6CJI

I'm thinking the charger goes under the flat plastic in front of the shiftstick and the charge LED can run right near by in view. the power will hopefully come from a source near by (unknown at this moment).

Any thoughts about the Qi power source (12V)?
    The charging pad calls for 5V @ 2A but I've only been able to find a 5V 3A converter with the mini USB, Will this work!!? or will the amperage be too high and kill the QI charging pad?

Insights?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
  2. Jan 15, 2016 at 1:50 PM
    tan-ishman

Member:
    San Diego,CA
    Vehicle:
    2005 DCSB
    Anyone have opinions on this? I'm going to order the Bluetooth dongle this week and a small switch.

3. Jan 15, 2016 at 3:29 PM
    nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    if you can get aux in to the stock radio you should be good to go. Head unit power will be just fine to power the lil adaptor... it aint gonna chew through but maybe 3 to 5 watts of power.... absolutely minimal, You could also tap into the 12v sockets as that 12v line turns off when you turn your key off.

Do note, almost all headunits have a wire that go to it that when the headlights are switched on, the wire gets 12v, telling the headunit to dim the lights on the front, was this not connected up on your aftermarket HU?

As far as the wireless charging, so long as your supply can supply more amps than necessary you will be fine. The wireless charging coils will only pull what they need (2amps) and the power supply will only supply what it needs not more.

That stated, is your phone wireless charging capable? Not many phones are, also wireless charging doesnt work very well through cases or plastic as the phone is spaced away from the coil. My Google Nexus 4 would not charge on a 2016's stock qi charging pad unless i took it out of the case.

4. Jan 16, 2016 at 9:03 AM
    tan-ishman

Member:
    San Diego,CA
    Vehicle:
    2005 DCSB
    nd4spdbh thanks man. Appreciated.

Ill definitely use that 12v power supply! Dont want to waste my battery.

Actually no, the aftermarket head unit never had the dimmer attached. My subie aftermarket radio didn't have a slot for the dimming function. I'll be sure to hook that up when I put the stock one back in. I'll be sure not to tap that power supply though. Would suck to cut power when I have the lights off. HA!

As for the QI I will be updating my phone soon to a "rugged" style smartphone. Never a fan of cases and the new smartphones almost all have Qi capabilities.

5. Jan 16, 2016 at 1:03 PM
    tan-ishman

Member:
    San Diego,CA
    Vehicle:
    2005 DCSB
    one other question!

If I want to put an inline fuze so I don't blow the radio by accident or the dongle (little shits are expensive!).

a 12gauge wire with a 10amp fuse is sufficient? or should I use something thicker with higher amps? I don't think the dongle needs much power.

6. Mar 1, 2016 at 10:28 AM
    tan-ishman

Member:
    San Diego,CA
    Vehicle:
    2005 DCSB
    Radio Installed!!

I just finished ordering a LOT of parts for the rest of the truck (belt whine and crappy spongey/sticking brakes).
    Bluetooth and back-up cam will have to wait till I see the total cost of fixing my belt whine, brakes, and swapping out all of the oils.

Does anyone have a pair of mounting brackets for a stock radio? The aftermarket radio installed in my truck only had broken plastic brackets. I will gladly pay for shipping!

Products Discussed in

To Top