1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Installing Kenwood 8120 and scosche dash kit

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by LonghornTaco, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Dec 10, 2008 at 12:28 PM
    FlawedXJ

FlawedXJ mall crawlin', web wheelin', concrete cowboy

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    NorAla
    Vehicle:
    13 F150 FX4, 99 jeep xj, 04 msm miata
    I actually have a jeep now. Imagine that.
    Care to elaborate more on this. I've got everything wired up and ready to go (the hard part) but I can't friggin figure out the scosche dash kit. I don't see how the mounting brackets attach to the face of the dash kit ( the big silver thing incase you didn't know what i meant)

2. Dec 10, 2008 at 12:34 PM
    LonghornTaco

LonghornTaco [OP] Can you pass the bailout please?

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 4x4 TRD Off Road Doublecab
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    I'll see if I can describe it....

1. Take the two black plastic mounting brackets and stick them through the hole in the dash piece, one on each side. You should see that it kindof notches in there (doesn't snap into place or anything, but there are notches that fit together).
    2. Take the stereo and slide it into the hole from the front, in between the two plastic mounting brackets. Then bolt the brackets to the stereo. NOTE - I could only get three of the four screws to go in because of the alignment of the holes on the plastic mounting brackets.
    3. Slide the trim ring around the face of the stereo. Again, doesn't snap into place, just kinda sits there.

If you ask me, it seems kinda cheap and the fitment is questionable, but it took me forever to figure out how to get it together! The instructions sucked.

I hope that was clear...... Let me know if it wasn't.

3. Dec 10, 2008 at 12:36 PM
    FlawedXJ

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    NorAla
    Vehicle:
    I'll give it a shot when I get home. I was expecting it to all go together nicely, then put the HU in. I was about to just put the mounting brackets on the radio, install it like that, then put the dash kit on, followed by the insert. I'll try that first and if it works I'll let everyone know.

4. Dec 10, 2008 at 12:39 PM
    MyToyTaco

MyToyTaco ╒╪╕

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    wenatchee, wa
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB 4x4
    ^^ Good instructions, except i put the trim ring in place before i screwed the plastic side pieces to the head unit. This way you can kinda move the HU and trim ring around, then screw it in I think the trim ring will fit better this way

5. Dec 10, 2008 at 12:53 PM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    That is the way I tried it the first time and couldn't get it to go in correctly. If I understand what you're talking about, there is plastic in the way of the notches that will prevent you from doing it this way with the radio already between them.

Good call! Maybe that's why mine doesn't fit perfectly...

6. Dec 10, 2008 at 5:49 PM
    hammerdog

hammerdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    I just received my scosche kit for a Kenwood 7120 install. I receive the Kenwood tomorrow. In looking at my kit, I do not see any bolts to secure the Kenwood to the brackets. Does this kit come with bolts or do you use bolts from the removal of the stock unit ? I have not removed the stock unit so I do not even know if the stock unit bolts fit the Kenwood bracket.

7. Dec 10, 2008 at 5:55 PM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Yes, you use the bolts from the factory stereo brackets. Just remember that you can't use the metal brackets from the factory radio, just the bolts.

8. Dec 10, 2008 at 7:14 PM
    hammerdog

Member:
    ok- thanks for the reply, will try and do the install this weekend.....this is my first Tacoma Navigation install, but I did do an Navigation install on VW Touareg and the Tacoma install looks a lot easier with all the information on this forum.....

9. Dec 10, 2008 at 10:09 PM
    FlawedXJ

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    NorAla
    Vehicle:
    So after about 8 hours on install ( it was dark and raining so i took a lot longer) it's working marginally. I dedicated a lot more thought to it than I had originally planned. I wired the nav antenna on the outside (kind of a booger) but it worked perfectly. Bluetooth and Ipod adapter work great too. However....This friggin dash kit sucks the big green weiner. I got the head unit mounted in kit fine but I can't get it to sit in the dash AT ALL. I have to back the HU out of the dash kit all the way just for it to mount into the dash. I have an eclipse AVN5510. I don't think it has anything to do with its depth because i've seen them mounted fine. And btw, there is absolutely nothing behind it other than the plugs so I know its not hanging up on a wire mess. This has really been a pain in the ass to say the least and I'm not very impressed with scosche right now.

10. Dec 10, 2008 at 10:17 PM
    MyToyTaco

MyToyTaco ╒╪╕

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    wenatchee, wa
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB 4x4
    you'd be surprised with the wires stealing your space in the rear..im not familiar with that eclipse, but if you can, try to tuck some of the wires in that whole in the upper left corner to make some room..

11. Dec 10, 2008 at 10:18 PM
    MyToyTaco

MyToyTaco ╒╪╕

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    wenatchee, wa
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB 4x4
    oh another thing, the two bottm tabs on the side brackets where the screws go, you gotta put those in first. tilt the HU down towards the floor get those in, then push the top in...maybe thats whats holdin you up..

12. Dec 10, 2008 at 10:19 PM
    FlawedXJ

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    NorAla
    Vehicle:
    again, nothing behind it. I made adapters that when I push the head unit in I pull all the wires from behind so they don't ball up behind it. I've done these installs before, never a problem but this kit blows. the stupid plastic mounts are too long on the bottom so I have to come in at like a 45 degree angle which in turns pulls wires in a mess behind it.

13. Dec 10, 2008 at 10:25 PM
    MyToyTaco

MyToyTaco ╒╪╕

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    wenatchee, wa
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB 4x4
    thats all i got for ya dude. sometimes it just takes some jimmy'n around...mine went in w/o a problem

14. Dec 10, 2008 at 10:30 PM
    FlawedXJ

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    NorAla
    Vehicle:
    w/o HU in place, where are more of your wires going, left or right. I've got about half and half right now. Inside the dash isn't very forgiving on knuckles if you've got big hands.

15. Dec 10, 2008 at 10:35 PM
    MyToyTaco

MyToyTaco ╒╪╕

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    wenatchee, wa
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB 4x4
    My HU has 2 harnesses - one full of RCA's and the other is power / speakers. I have all the RCA's stuffed to the left in that upper hole, and the rest is below or behind the HU

16. Dec 10, 2008 at 10:40 PM
    FlawedXJ

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    NorAla
    Vehicle:
    mine has like 5 things i have to plug in....

17. Dec 15, 2008 at 12:41 PM
    hammerdog

Member:
    Longhorn, thanks to you instruction on the scosche kit, got my Kenwood 7120installed in about an hour. The longest part of the install was getting the clock/hazard switch module out to mount on the scosche kit. Eveything else was good too go.

18. Dec 15, 2008 at 12:52 PM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, I had a bitch of a time figuring that one out too! :)

19. Dec 15, 2008 at 12:55 PM
    MyToyTaco

MyToyTaco ╒╪╕

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    wenatchee, wa
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB 4x4

+1 :eek:

20. Dec 27, 2008 at 3:36 PM
    Rippin101

Rippin101 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Jax Beach, FL
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Sport 4x4
    -Nitto G2 265/70/17 -Level 8 MK6 Wheels -Katzkin Leather Black on Black -BHLM -Weathertech -Extang Solid Fold -Bedlight LEDs -TRD Skid
    OK, so I finally got it installed before the sun went down so I was kinda in a rush. The dash kit really does suck - I'm gonna have to take it out and redo it tomorrow because it doesn't sit flush. The wiring part was super easy and everything there works fine.

Got a question though, I thought you could hook up an iPod directly to it through the USB cable? I have it hooked up and it comes up on the iPod button and displays everything but no sound comes out. Its also recognized on the iPod as well so I'm kinda confused.

Its a pain in the ass getting the plastic brackets to stay connected to the kit while putting the HU in and bolting it up and wiring it up.... Any tips there? Gonna take another shot at it tomorrow now that I know the install better!

Great HU tho!! Makes the music sound even better and videos are sick! :)

Products Discussed in

To Top