1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Installing oem roof rack the right way?

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by qiuzman, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Sep 13, 2017 at 12:44 PM
    qiuzman

qiuzman [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shaun
    Vehicle:
    9 Speed Bicycle
    I have been reading horror stories about everyones roof rack leaking after the install. So I just wanted to confirm with everyone if this might be the final methodology to create a leak proof install.

1. Bend the mounting bracket arm from the beginning to ensure a more snug fit where the end meets the front of the roof.
    2. Put down a 1/4 hole rubber washer on the truck top
    3. Put the mounting bracket on the truck
    4. Put another 1/4 hole rubber washer on top of the bracket hole
    5. Put loctite non corrosive bolt sealant on all thread of the bolts. I assume doing this over top of the sealant that is already on the bolts that come with the kit is okay to do?
    6. Put bolts in hole lol
    7. Put a glob of non corrosive silicone over top of the bolt head.

I figure putting the washers like this will seal the bottom of mounting bracket to the roof of car, and the second washer will create a seal from bottom of bolt head to top of mounting bracket. Then the sealant is just overkill to ensure it does not get in. Anyone see something wrong with this setup or if there are any cheaper alternatives to any of the items mentioned?

Rubber Washers:
    https://www.amazon.com/Hard-Find-Fa...=1505331551&sr=1-1&keywords=1/4+rubber+washer

Bolt Sealant:
    https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-1158...05331782&sr=8-1&keywords=loctite+bolt+sealant

Non Corrosive Silicone :
    https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-2343...5331964&sr=8-2&keywords=non+corrosive+sealant

2. Sep 13, 2017 at 12:59 PM
    tacomaalen

tacomaalen Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alen
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tacoma
    I went to install mine myself and the factory cut holes were no aligned with the actual body so the screws wouldnt go in. Took it to my dealer and they said it happens, and charged me $200 for install. I called toyota HR and explained and are gonna reimburse me the $200. I havent had any leaks yet, its been in a tropical storm and multiple car washes

3. Sep 13, 2017 at 6:41 PM
    qiuzman

qiuzman [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shaun
    Vehicle:
    9 Speed Bicycle
    Yea I am not trying to get the dealer to do it since i probably wont get reimbursed lol.

4. Sep 13, 2017 at 6:53 PM
    JdevTac

JdevTac Bawnjourno

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    GA/WA
    Vehicle:
    2nd gen
    Not sure how kosher it is but I used black RTV on my bolts when I installed my LED bar brackets in my factory roof holes and never had a drop of water enter the cab. I paired that with a rubber washer under my bracket.

Looking back I would've made sure NOT to put the RTV on the end of the bolt but instead A little off from the tip....once you gum up the threads if it's on the tip of your bolt it's hard to tell if you aren't crossthreading or not since you get so much resistance. I'm sure that's common knowledge (like when applying loctite) but it didn't cross my mind at the time.

I didn't even use anything around the bolt heads themselves and had no issues so I'm sure a good rim of silicone under the bolt heads would be good for extra measure. Most water will make its way under the weather seal rather than bolt head though.

Edit: I think I actually used permatex black silicone now that I'm thinking about it.

5. Sep 13, 2017 at 11:39 PM
    4x4psych

4x4psych Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arcadia, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tacoma TRD Off Road 4x4
    I just bought a set of the OEM racks and plan to install them soon (maybe tomorrow). My set came with 8 foam washers to put between the truck top and brackets. Are you planning just to not use the foam washers and replace those with the rubber ones?

6. Sep 14, 2017 at 7:34 AM
    Frogsauce

Frogsauce Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chesapeake Bay
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD Offroad
    Mine did leak after install, but I applied silicone to the bolts and that stopped.

7. Sep 14, 2017 at 11:13 AM
    slowboater

slowboater Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mine is an aftermarket FrontRunner. I gooped up the bolts with silicone before inserting. Hasn't leaked yet. I'm pretty sure this is what FR recommended.

8. Sep 14, 2017 at 6:22 PM
    blackcloud08

blackcloud08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    WNC
    Did you apply to the outside of the bolts or did you remove each one and put silicone down in the threads?

9. Sep 17, 2017 at 9:06 AM
    Frogsauce

Member:
    Chesapeake Bay
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD Offroad
    A little in the threads and a little around the outside. Doesn't take much, seems my leak was in the thread hole. The sticky washers they give you don't water seal it very well.

blackcloud08[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Sep 17, 2017 at 7:41 PM
    TacoMedic214

TacoMedic214 Next Level Tactical.

Member:
    First Name:
    christopher
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2016 Quicksand DCOR
    K/n air filter... Silverstar lights so far, Rear bumper, TRD Exhaust, Wildpeak AT
    so use silicone ?

11. Sep 28, 2017 at 11:16 AM
    Frogsauce

Member:
    Chesapeake Bay
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD Offroad
    That's what I did, so far so good. I'll pull it up and check one of these days to see if the silicone is still in good shape. But by doing that, I would then have to apply more since it would pull it all apart... so... maybe in a few months..

TacoMedic214[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Apr 2, 2018 at 2:14 PM
    Tacohumper13

Tacohumper13 IG @_.mfa_

Member:
    Menifee
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off-road DCSB 4x4
    6112/5160s w/ camburg UCAs 265/70/17 wildpeaks JP8 conversion kit
    Can someone provide the length of the m6 pivot bolt. I broke my bolt and need to find a replacement. Thanks

13. Apr 12, 2019 at 6:42 PM
    1taco2motos

1taco2motos Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    19 DCSB mgm TRD OR 6MT
    Dug this thread up from the grave. I recently purchased an OEM rack so I was researching the best way to install it. Already had some permatex rtv clear silicone on hand. This is great stuff, I've found several uses for it, better than glue in some cases. it peels off of most surfaces without leaving any residue. Purchased 10 rubber washers from Ace Hardware then got busy installing. Applied silicone around each hole then placed the rubber washers on top of the silicone; blue loctite on the bolt threads and a dab of silicone under the head of each bolt. I didn't use the foam washers that came with the rack. Hopefully this will prevent any leaks. Thanks to the OP & others for their input.

beeip likes this.
  14. Aug 7, 2019 at 1:21 PM
    R_Dub5

R_Dub5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    OP says to bend the bracket. Can anyone confirm whether or not this is necessary?

15. Aug 7, 2019 at 11:02 PM
    1taco2motos

1taco2motos Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    19 DCSB mgm TRD OR 6MT
    I needed to bend one side but not the other. For a snug fit, you can bend & adjust the front rack mounts after the fact as needed. I'd say it's nearly impossible to know how much to bend it before hand.

beeip and shakerhood like this.
  16. Aug 8, 2019 at 11:09 AM
    R_Dub5

R_Dub5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Just installed the rack today. reasonably easy. make sure to start all the bolts before tightening them down, I had some holes that
    weren't lining up too good, but with a little work I got everything in tight. I used the foam washers that came with it but also
    put plenty of silicone under, around, and over each one making sure to get it in the threads. i feel pretty confident that it will
    be water tight. I DID NOT need to bend any brackets. To be honest this OEM rack seems a little cheap, for the money I'd expect
    a more robust unit. I kinda wish I had spent the money on a Prinsu but seeing how i dont overland and will only use the rack for the
    occasional 12' length of lumber I couldn't come to spend $700+ on the Prinsu.
    Toyota should have made a higher quality rack, the rack that came stock on my old crappy Honda Element was MUCH more
    solid than this one. WTH Toyota.

Malvolio, EastVanTaco and 1taco2motos like this.
  17. Aug 2, 2020 at 10:16 PM
    TacoTuesday1

TacoTuesday1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    How many rubber washers are needed?

isn't one big difference that prinsu style racks (there's Hooke Road that's cheaper) cause lots of wind noise, whereas a folded-straight OEM one does not?

18. Aug 8, 2020 at 7:05 PM
    AKGSD

AKGSD Warranty denied

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2019 QSDCSBTRDOR4X4V6MT
    Dog hair, metaltech 4x4 rocksliders, KBVooDoo bed risers, Smittybilt RTT, 3” spacer lift (Removed!), caliraised ditch lights, amazon rock lights, OVtune, Skewp
    I returned my OEM one because the crossbars didn’t fit properly. It was silent stowed, but deployed the crossbars were /loud/

19. Aug 11, 2020 at 10:37 PM
    TacoTuesday1

TacoTuesday1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    didn't fit properly, or made noise?
    Wind noise is probably normal, hence people's tendency to keep it stowed straight when not in use.
    But some insulation added to the roof past the headliner could help.
    I wonder how hard it is to remove the headliner to add that.

Just installed my roof rails. Man those were some bad instructions.
    They seemed to suggest using the small bolts on the front mounts.
    But then on the final (medium) bolts holding the top plastic to the metal mounts, they didn't want to screw in all the way, and may have cross-threaded at the end. And/or strip easily at the torx head.

The fronts don't sit flush. Maybe I should've test fit it first dry, before applying silicone.
    Because now it might not be wise to take off, to bend the brackets/mounts.
    I hear they have to be bent down, which even though I tried with it on the truck, it didn't help much.
    Gonna keep researching what to do.
    The weather seal basically is lifted up off the truck where wind and rain can flow in, rather than keeping it out

20. Aug 12, 2020 at 10:54 AM
    AKGSD

AKGSD Warranty denied

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2019 QSDCSBTRDOR4X4V6MT
    Dog hair, metaltech 4x4 rocksliders, KBVooDoo bed risers, Smittybilt RTT, 3” spacer lift (Removed!), caliraised ditch lights, amazon rock lights, OVtune, Skewp
    I could grab my crossbars in the mounted position and move them up and down a quarter inch. Very sloppy. The wind noise probably is Toyota “normal” but atrocious compared to other OEM racks such as Subaru.
    Yeah i made sure all the bolts were in before i tightened it, and i only used the supplied seals so it leaked.

The smallest torx screws tighten the plastic to the metal mount. I had to use a dowel in one hole to line it up to install the screws.

Insofar as the large “seal” at the base of the plastic, it didn’t seal tightly on mine either — but i was able to get it visibly flush.

Just not a good design IMHO

To Top