1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Installing XM radio in 2008 Tacoma

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by dd9293, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Dec 20, 2007 at 7:50 AM
    dd9293

dd9293 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 SR5 extra cab
    From an older Tacoma owner (59)
    Anyone had experience with installing an XM radio reciever in 08 Tacoma
    Without a cassette plater or an Aux stereo mini connector to input to system the only way i can see of doing it is to use the antenna adapter ( poor choice) or and inline antenna adapter
    also - what is the best way to fish the Sat. external antenna's line back to the cab - i have a couple of Idea's but would like some feedback

2. Dec 20, 2007 at 9:05 AM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    welcome. first off, i wouldnt worry about running the antenna externally. i'd either put it under the dash, near the front window....or behind the a-pillars. i have my antenna for my nav hooked up behind the a-pillar and i get a very strong signal. if u run it out the cab, u get the chance of a leak, plus wear and tear on the antena itself.

3. Dec 20, 2007 at 3:52 PM
    ZonKs

ZonKs Can speak french in Russian.

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Glendale, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Sport DCSB 4x4
    =p
    Usa Spec Df Toy

4. Dec 23, 2007 at 7:09 PM
    scutch10

scutch10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I just installed XM for my Pioneer Unit (980BT). I first put the antenna in the corner of the dash and had no problems in Virginia, however, I just drove down to FL and got sh*tty reception everywhere I went. I just move the antenna to the outside and haven't had a problem yet.

I mounted the antenna at the top of the cab and fished the wire through the rubber gromet going through the firewall of engine compartment. I can get pics if interested.

5. Jan 2, 2008 at 11:58 AM
    dd9293

dd9293 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 SR5 extra cab
    I mounted the antenna on the roof (you need the ground plain for best reception of RF rsignal) and ran the antenna cable down the inside of the window seal by lifting the seal with a thin blade and pushing the cable up under the roof line - I used a small amount of clear window silicon window sealer at the 3 points that the cable became exposed by crossing the roof pillars to keep it water tight - than uesd thre same gromet hole that scutch10 mentioned - it turned out to be a clean install - just have to tbe carefull with the seal so it does not double over on itself - if it does you can lift it back out by running a blade from a coner back past the fold

Now if I can onnly find an AUX input adapter that will work with the OEM Pioneer radio that came with the Tacoma (not one that uses FM - really limits the frequency responce of the XM radio or Ipod)
    There are alot of suggested units on the market,,but none that match up to the 2008's OEM Pioneer radio - the radio does have the IP-Buss connector on the back of it, but pioneer says that Toyota had it built to only work with a box that they will sell some tiem in the future -

6. Jan 8, 2008 at 11:09 PM
    jdubh

jdubh Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 Double Cab V6 4x4
    Scutch10, I'd love to see a pic of how you routed your XM antenna and where that hole is. My XM module arrived today and I figured I'd route the antenna before the head unit arrived. Been searching the other threads and forums and people make mention of it but no pics! Thanks!

7. Jan 10, 2008 at 3:37 PM
    dudewheresmytaco

dudewheresmytaco Member

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner Doublecab TRD Offroad
    06 PreRunner Doublecab TRD Offroad, 3" toytec lift, 16" MotoMetal Wheels, Nitto Terra Grappler Tires - 285 75 16
    i am installing a sirius radio. i ran the antenna from the outside in using the 3rd brakelight. removing the headliner is not difficult at all. just above the seat belt undo the plastic cover exposing the 10mm bolt. friction clips hold this in place. the coat hooks will need to be twisted 90 degrees in either direction. these are tight. i routed my wire down the piller and under the door plates up to the dash. these are also held using friction clips. when reinstalling the breaklight you will have to replace the foam weather stripping that was damaged from the removal. it is very easy and worth the stealthness. no wires are exposed in my install. i will be posting pics later.

8. Jan 11, 2008 at 5:29 PM
    jdubh

jdubh Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 Double Cab V6 4x4
    I went ahead and installed it yesterday putting both my XM and GPS antenna out the brakelight. I have a double cab so it was a bit more involved. I didn't see any reason though to take down the entire headliner, you could just as easily pull the brakelight out from the back and then reach up and grab the cables removing only coat hooks. I ran the wires through the headliner up to the A pillar above the dash and then down behind the glovebox to the stereo. I did try to trim the brakelight a little since the cables bent it out some but it still didn't seal that well so I put a small bead of clear silicone around it. I was afraid water would run down the lines into the cab.

I installed an Avic-Z2 double din, the XM w/Nav Traffic, and the iPod adapter. I'm gonna go back in and add the bluetooth adapter and microphone. I barely had enough room to stuff it all behind the stereo, it was a very tight fit, where else are you guys putting these modules?

9. Jan 22, 2008 at 5:52 PM
    cavfish

cavfish New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 Dbl Cab TRD Off Road
    jdubh: There is more room for installing modules/adapters under the cup holder in front of the gear shift; there's also room under the gear shift cover. The cup holders are held by similar clips that hold the climate control panel; simply grasp and pull firmly - it comes out pretty easy. You can remove the panel over the gear shift by unscrewing the shift knob (for autos) and then similarly grasping the cover firmly and pulling. Not too difficult and there's quite a bit of room. I installed a third cigarette lightder adapter under there so I could plug in my cell phone charger; I then ran the charger cable into the arm rest so I could charge my cell phone w/out seeing all the cables. I like the clean look - miscellaneous cables is a pet peeve of mine.

10. Jan 22, 2008 at 6:40 PM
    jdubh

jdubh Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 Double Cab V6 4x4
    I just ordered the bluetooth adapter and I didn't install the microphone on the first run. I think I'll try putting everything under there when I do my second run with it here in a few days.

11. Feb 1, 2008 at 8:07 PM
    gsxr3000

gsxr3000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport
    OME Lift Kit, TRD S/C CAI EXHAUST
    install sirius instead. Howard rulez.

12. Feb 6, 2008 at 12:49 PM
    kevinkay

kevinkay Member

Member:
    St. Charles, IL
    Vehicle:
    2008 Double Cab TRD
    Can you please put up some pics (close up) of your finished product? I want to do this too, but am afraid of water leaking into the cab.

13. Sep 9, 2008 at 5:15 AM
    Sneakers

Sneakers Member

Member:
    I recently installed a PIE adapter to interface my XM Roady to my stock stereo. The unit I used is a toy03-aux which plugs into the back of the stock radio. This part provides an input as an aux CD. It can be used to hook up one item, iPod, XM radio,etc. PIE also makes one to hook up two inputs. Any questions call www.pie.net. The item can be purchased from www.myradiostore.com or anyone that sells the unit.

Products Discussed in

To Top