1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

insuring after-market parts

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by NetMonkey, Oct 27, 2010.

?

did you get insurance for your after-market parts?

Poll closed Oct 27, 2011.
  1. Yes

4 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. No

15 vote(s)
    53.6%
  3. I didnt know that i needed to insure after-market parts

4 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. my insurance company automatically insures all after-market parts

3 vote(s)
    10.7%
  5. other (please explain)

2 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. Oct 27, 2010 at 7:28 AM
    NetMonkey

NetMonkey [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Geogetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    2010, 4x4, DC, off-road, shortbed, automatic
    Toytec Ultimate Lift @ 3", Mickey Thompson MTZ's 285/75/16, Moto Metal 955b, rear 2" ALL, Marlin Crawler sliders
    after i had my lift, rims, and tires installed, i started thinking about the replacement of those parts if the the truck (or specific parts) were stolen or if i got into an accident.

so, i sat down with my insurance agent (Farmers) and she informed me that they do not automatically cover any after-market parts. she also cited some examples of where some of her customers assumed that everything was covered only to find out that, when they filed a claim, they were not covered. so, we went though all the after-market parts that were installed on my truck and had them added to my auto policy.

to cover everything, it was an additional $45 a year to cover $3500 in parts. well worth it in my opinion.

so, has anyone else thought about this?

2. Oct 27, 2010 at 7:36 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I get 1000 in coverage for the bike and 3000 for the truck as part of my policy. I haven't gone over that on either.

3. Oct 27, 2010 at 7:38 AM
    TacoCat

TacoCat These pretzels are making me thirsty

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny-5
    Chantilly, VA
    Vehicle:
    22 JLUR 6MT
    Good point OP. I don't have a lot of parts into mine yet, but something I should call Allstate about and see what they say...

4. Oct 27, 2010 at 7:43 AM
    hookedontronics

hookedontronics Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Glenville, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Off Road 4x4
    Icon extended travel 3.5" front coilovers, DSM UCAs, TSB leaf pack w/ wheelers AAL, All Pro U-bolt flip kit, Walker Evans 2.0 rear shocks, 18" XD Monster rims, Nitto trail grappler 285/65R18 Tires, Color matched grill, Grillcraft, Kragen HIDs, Carling switches, my bed light mod, diff drop, Alpine IVA-W505, JL Audio C5 componets and coaxials, JL 300/4 and 250/1 amps and JL stealthbox, wheathertechs, avs vent visors, toyota bed x-tender, alcantara center console cover and door pocket covers, console vault, color matched mirrors, heated mirrors, etc etc etc
    have you seen the prices for stock parts? Compared to what your replacing most of your aftermarket parts will be below the price of stock ones. Not to mention the place you would end up taking your truck for repair is going to work with you on this. I don't insure mine b/c if anything happens my mechanic will make sure i get everything that i origionally had regardless. Not to mention insuring aftermarket parts makes your insurance go up quite a leap in price

5. Oct 27, 2010 at 7:59 AM
    NetMonkey

Member:
    Geogetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    Toytec Ultimate Lift @ 3", Mickey Thompson MTZ's 285/75/16, Moto Metal 955b, rear 2" ALL, Marlin Crawler sliders
    mine went up $45 a year.

6. Oct 27, 2010 at 8:11 AM
    NetMonkey

Member:
    Geogetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    hmm... i dont know about that.
    the stock bf goodrich rugged trails are $145 a piece.
    the mickey thompson mtzs are $225 a piece

the total chaos UCA's are ~$720 and i doubt the stock UCA's are that much.

the toytec coilovers are ~$700 and i doubt the stock coils and shocks are that much.

rims, i am not too sure. mine were $125 a piece and i can see toyota charging that much for stock rims.

not to mention the parts that are in addition to the truck such as the add a leaf, diff drops, shims, etc. i know, those are relatively cheap, but an insurance company wont pay to replace those because they arent factory parts.

7. Oct 27, 2010 at 8:13 AM
    NetMonkey

Member:
    Geogetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    better check with your insurance company.

8. Oct 27, 2010 at 2:37 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Jason'sLawnCare Prepared for Bambi

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Double Cab TRD Rugged Trail
    CBI Moab 2.0, CBI Trail Rider 2.0, CBI sliders w/kickout, Superwinch EPi9.0S, OME sport shocks w/886 coils, OME n182, 1.5" aal, JasonBuilt 3/16th full belly skid, BuiltRight uca, Body Mount Chop, 285/75/16 km2's, Rear cat delete, exhaust crossover rerouted, Fog light anytime, Locker mod, Rear leaf tsb, Debadged, Uws Tool Box, Electric Exhaust Cutout, AFE Pro Dry S, Kiwi Wifi, Diff Breather Relocated, Grom Ipod Adapter, Dual Diehard platinum batteries isolated by BlueSea marine switch
    I'm pretty sure adding after market bumpers is doing a favor for the insurance. Does that mean I get a discount?:D

9. Oct 27, 2010 at 2:40 PM
    solus

solus HOME!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    RR 4wd SR5
    I'm not sure on every stock part but I know for sure that Toyota of Sacramento wanted $600 each for stock leaf packs... for that price I could get a really nice custom pack and still have $500 in my pocket

lol, stock UCAs are $415 each :eek: http://www.toyotapartsales.com/part...coma&year=2010&catalogid=1&displayCatalogid=0

I paid like $400 for both my LR UCAs

stock springs $135 each

10. Oct 28, 2010 at 3:32 AM
    FoxySandChick

FoxySandChick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 Base model V6 Impulse Red Pearl
    De-badged, limo tint, black wet okole's, weathertechs, extra d-rings, TSB bilsteins
    I switched insurance companies, they wanted receipts for aftermarket parts and I no longer had the receipts. So I don't have extra coverage, but I don't have expensive parts to be concerned about either. But they cover aftermarket parts on ATV's without receipts :rolleyes:.

11. Oct 31, 2010 at 12:26 AM
    arizonataco

arizonataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix Arizona
    Firestone Airbags ARE Camper Shell
    GOOD subject people.

Just bought a E-350 1ton $15,000 ford van with another $15,000 worth of handicap modifications for my wifes van.I owe 30K on the van. I had my agent put some gap insurance on it. I cant recall but it was very inexpensive like 100 more per year so covered if it gets totaled.First time Ive ever bought Gap.Hope I dont have to use it.

Also, check your towing on your policies.Often its like 2 dollars a month extra.
    Way cheaper that AAA and the similar.

12. Oct 31, 2010 at 1:41 AM
    supataco

supataco Shaq-enzy Falls

Member:
    First Name:
    Ichiro
    Oahu - Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2010-SSM-AC-TRDSport-PreRunner
    -17" 4Runner Trail Wheels (265/70/17) -OEM Tube Steps -Tailgate Security Clamps -Trimmed Mudflaps -Bed Bar -Kobalt Box -Bed Mat -Toyota Mats
    Just make sure you guys read through you're policies when you're agent tells you that "you're covered". There are a ton of agents that don't completely know what they're selling, and will give you quick answers to keep your business.

13. Nov 1, 2010 at 1:43 PM
    arizonataco

arizonataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix Arizona
    Firestone Airbags ARE Camper Shell
    Absolutely,I know my agent for over 20 years.I can only hope he tells the truth. I have had some claims (not my fault) hit and run & no insurance(welcome to Az.) and he has been great, as far as agents go.
    But yes,

"Caveat emptor" Buyer Beware

Products Discussed in

To Top