1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Interest in shackle flip for 05+ Taco???

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by fabjunkie, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Apr 26, 2012 at 7:40 AM
    Wicked 2007

Wicked 2007 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma AT DC SB 4x4
    2007 Tacoma Double Cab SB 4WD - Auto -TRD Off Road - Icon Billet UCA - 8" ORI Front Struts - Bilstein 5100 11" RCD Shock - AllPro Expo Springs - Demello Sliders - Tom Woods 1 Piece Driveshaft - 16x8 Mojave Teflon Rims - Locker Mod - Locker Guard - 35" MT MTZ's - ARB Bumper - Warn 8000 winch w/synthetic line - All-Pro Front Skid/Transmission Skid/Rear Armor - ARB Front Locker - Nitro 4.56 gears - Marlin 4.7 crawl box - Twin Stick FJ t-case - ATO high clearance rear bumper
    please add me...

2. Apr 26, 2012 at 8:06 AM
    weazel

weazel Well-Known Member

Member:
    Why does it cost 4k for RD

3. Apr 26, 2012 at 8:27 AM
    JLee

JLee The Man! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 Extra cab SAS Linked front and rear
    I lost track thousands of dollars ago.
    I see where your coming from on that but I really think your going to have to bite the bullet and build some test them out and then get this going. Trust me you will make a profit on this product. You just need a product out and tested for these guys to fully commit. I have a CAD design and a prototype :spy: as well with tons of interest and non of those guys are ready to just say yes I want a set for sure they want to see it . R&D costs money that's just how it go's $4,000 for a shackle flip sounds like a little much but i don't know your costs. That said if you build just one of these things post pics of it on a truck and tested you will sell tons there is so much interest on these things it's not even funny.

4. Apr 26, 2012 at 8:49 AM
    rsbmg

rsbmg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vista,CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Doublecab TRD Offroad
    Front Aluminum bumper by Relentless Fab. Smittybuilt Winch Complete set of skids by ATO TC UCA's Fox Ext. Travel Front Reservoirs.
    ^^^This^^^

I think your shooting yourself in the foot by by basing your sales potential on some dudes who say "put me on the list"

If you have a good product at a fair price it will sell. People want a good shackle flip, the desire for the product is far greater than the scope of this post.

Build your product test it, post picks of the install, show it in use the thread will grow, you will find lots of people posting up saying they want one. Build 30 have them ready to ship, then start your group buy. The 30 will sell immediately, they will install them and start threads, the interest will continue to grow and you will have commitments for your next batch.

Risk vs. reward. I think your financial exposure on this project is far less than your potential for profit. What are you waiting for get em built!

5. Apr 26, 2012 at 8:57 AM
    BigRedToy

BigRedToy ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    07 Regular Cab SR5 4x4
    [​IMG]

The only reason I signed up for the list was to get them released to the public. I would run these and get pics, etc.

I also agree that the market for shackle flips is well beyond "10 or so" orders. Just look at the ATO product thread. The last 100+ posts are questions on shackle flips.

6. Apr 26, 2012 at 10:38 AM
    arrrghhh

arrrghhh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road
    Custom Front Bumper, Smittybilt XRC-8, 3" OME lift, 33" Falken A/T tires
    lol, epic. I like it.

On a side note....

:spy::spy::spy::spy:

7. Apr 26, 2012 at 3:13 PM
    Mach375

Mach375 Habitual Violator of Wheeling Rule #2

Member:
    First Name:
    Sathington "Alowicious Devadander Abercrombie" Willoughby (but you can call me Mud)
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCLB 4x4 TRD Sport
    Too much to list, but enough to get me in trouble. Repeatedly.
    Well said. Precisely my thoughts.

Again, well said.

OP- you should listen to Jerry. He speaks from experience. It's only been a year or so since he first offered up the idea of making rock sliders for Tacos. In that short time, he has already had to move into a larger shop space, buy additional equipment, hire some help......and he's still getting so many orders that his lead time is now up to about 12 weeks!! And rock sliders aren't exactly a unique, one-of-a-kind product like the multi-position shackles you're offering. And your shackles are half the price of his sliders (which, in theory, would mean you should see at least twice the sales volume), and 1/30th the size and weight (which, when factoring in shipping, would, in theory, mean 30x the sales volume).
    The old movie phrase "if you build it, they will come" is kinda backward for you. There is a whole untapped market out there. For you, the phrase might be more accurate if it were "they are waiting, you should build it."
    Bite the bullet, find the financing, and get some prototypes out, with pics. Sell a dozen or so, then offer up a group buy of 10 or 15, with 15% or 20% off.
    And if you get it built, you'll already have a great starting point for other vehicles with similar shackles. Which means more profit.

8. Apr 26, 2012 at 3:22 PM
    ShadesOfGrey

ShadesOfGrey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Salem, OR
    Vehicle:
    '10 DCLB, TRD Sport 4x4, MGM
    TRD Cat-Back Exhaust, Airaid CAI, Pro Comp 3" Suspension Lift, 17" Moto Metal rims w/ 33" Pro Comp tires, Powder Coated Pro-Tech Headache Rack & Toolbox
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rsbmg [​IMG]
    Maybe I'm confused. Your post said you were gauging interest. I'm interested. Now it looks like what you want is a commitment for a group buy. Those are two different things.

As you said you are an unknown guy in your garage. You have a CAD drawing, of an untested suspension component, and your asking me to commit to the product which has an unknown time to be shipped, isn't tested, and has no price?

I totally understand the position your in unfortunately, I think if you want to sell a product your going to have to put yourself out there and assume the liability and risk of the potential for profit. You can get 200 names on a forum list and in the end not one person sending you cash. Coming to market with something new and untested with the expectation that the customer assume the risk is a bit ambitious. I wish you all the luck it appears your product has the potential to really fill a much needed niche and as I said, I'm interested.[​IMG]

Well said. Precisely my thoughts.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JLee [​IMG]
    I see where your coming from on that but I really think your going to have to bite the bullet and build some test them out and then get this going. Trust me you will make a profit on this product. You just need a product out and tested for these guys to fully commit. I have a CAD design and a prototype [​IMG] as well with tons of interest and non of those guys are ready to just say yes I want a set for sure they want to see it . R&D costs money that's just how it go's $4,000 for a shackle flip sounds like a little much but i don't know your costs. That said if you build just one of these things post pics of it on a truck and tested you will sell tons there is so much interest on these things it's not even funny.

Again, well said.

OP- you should listen to Jerry. He speaks from experience. It's only been a year or so since he first offered up the idea of making rock sliders for Tacos. In that short time, he has already had to move into a larger shop space, buy additional equipment, hire some help......and he's still getting so many orders that his lead time is now up to about 12 weeks!! And rock sliders aren't exactly a unique, one-of-a-kind product like the multi-position shackles you're offering. And your shackles are half the price of his sliders (which, in theory, would mean you should see at least twice the sales volume), and 1/30th the size and weight (which, when factoring in shipping, would, in theory, mean 30x the sales volume).
    The old movie phrase "if you build it, they will come" is kinda backward for you. There is a whole untapped market out there. For you, the phrase might be more accurate if it were "they are waiting, you should build it."
    Bite the bullet, find the financing, and get some prototypes out, with pics. Sell a dozen or so, then offer up a group buy of 10 or 15, with 15% or 20% off.
    And if you get it built, you'll already have a great starting point for other vehicles with similar shackles. Which means more profit.

^Good points.

OP, sounds like a great product, would really like to see how it turns out.

9. Apr 26, 2012 at 3:35 PM
    Relik

Relik Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddy
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Sport PreRunner-Auto-Magnetic Gray
    Bilstein 5100s (Front & ext. Rear), Eibach coils @ 0, MaxTrac 4" Spindles, Light Racing UCAs, 1/4" lean spacer, All-Pro 3" Standard leafs, u-bolt flip kit, SpiderTrax 1.25" wheel spacers, 33" (285/70/17) TreadWright Warden A/T tires, extended lines
    I read through all these and no info on the advantages of flipping the shackle (other than it looking stronger than the funky stock C mount)....can someone humor me? :D

10. Apr 26, 2012 at 3:39 PM
    arrrghhh

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road
  11. Apr 26, 2012 at 3:43 PM
    blackhawke88

blackhawke88 wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Member:
    SGV, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad
    extreme example of the extra droop a shackle flip can get you!
    engagepaintcage008_380e7f07a75e53fa51123b2578660e53bf3eb371.jpg

12. Apr 26, 2012 at 3:50 PM
    blackhawke88

Member:
    SGV, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad
  13. Apr 26, 2012 at 3:55 PM
    Relik

Relik Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddy
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Sport PreRunner-Auto-Magnetic Gray
    Bilstein 5100s (Front & ext. Rear), Eibach coils @ 0, MaxTrac 4" Spindles, Light Racing UCAs, 1/4" lean spacer, All-Pro 3" Standard leafs, u-bolt flip kit, SpiderTrax 1.25" wheel spacers, 33" (285/70/17) TreadWright Warden A/T tires, extended lines
  14. Apr 26, 2012 at 4:06 PM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    How does a shackle flip effect ride quality? After TSB springs and an Icon 3 leaf add a leaf, my rear end is stiff and kicks like a mule with the OME shocks, which are supposed to be pretty mild shocks. Id buy if it fixes my rough rear.

15. Apr 26, 2012 at 4:09 PM
    blackhawke88

Member:
    SGV, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad
    shackle flip wont effect ride quality itself, but it gives your extra down travel which allows you to mess more with your shock valving. If your rear end is stiff on the street, it is probably because your leaf springs are too stiff and a shackle flip will not change that.

16. Apr 26, 2012 at 4:11 PM
    arrrghhh

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road
    However, depending on how you position the shackle, and if you get aftermarket shackles - you can get more lift from the shackle and potentially remove a leaf or 2. This should help ride quality, but keep in mind it will also hurt the bed capacity - so if you put additional leafs in to prevent from the rear hitting the bumpstops when you have some mulch in the bed for example...

17. Apr 26, 2012 at 5:35 PM
    Defined

Defined Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    southern california
    this!

ive been confronted to build this product for multiple people and no one wants to step up to the plate in the end .

all i see is this guy wants some committed people before he wastes time with something that could take him a year or two to recuperate from if no one buys .

im sure theres other things he could be doing that could be making him money now.

i think its outlined pretty clear . this guy is giving all you people that have been asking for this product an opportunity to get what you have been wanting ,and no one steps up ??

could be because it is a worthless product , but that discussion is for the countless threads out there on this subject

18. Apr 26, 2012 at 5:41 PM
    blackhawke88

Member:
    SGV, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad
    the demand is out there, OP just needs to market it. People have been lining up for months for ATO to start making theirs again.

OP, design it, manufacture it, and push it. The consumer should never be blamed for not buying something they have not seen in person.

Recent American economic success can be attributed to a great influx of private capital and venture capital funds, funds that were directed to start ups that took risks. The American entrepreneurial way is to take risks. You can mitigate certain risks through inventory management and streamlining your manufacturing process, using JIT, etc, but at the end, it is in your best interest to design and sell a product that people want.

19. Apr 26, 2012 at 8:23 PM
    weazel

weazel Well-Known Member

Member:
    The shackle lift on my truck definitely makes my ride better, I could feel the difference right away.

20. Apr 26, 2012 at 11:06 PM
    jjbsocal

jjbsocal Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    So☆Cal
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCLB PreRunner TRD Sport
    Camburg MT; 4.0 Spindles and UCA's, Fox Extended Travel with Resi's all 4 Corners, All Pro Expo Leaf Pack, Method Standard's, BFG AT's, DTLT's, 1st Gen TRD CAI, Magnaflow Pro Offroad Exhaust..
    I like this shackle flip idea..

Hell, if this falls through, I will design one and have it cut.. I'm sure I could find some 'researchers' willing to run them..

I should probably look into a extended rear shock hoop that doesn't cut into the bed while I'm at it..

Products Discussed in

To Top