1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Interested in Purchasing a 96 Tacoma???

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by JaCkaL829, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Sep 18, 2011 at 7:11 AM
    JaCkaL829

JaCkaL829 [OP] Member

Member:
    Hello everyone!

I just registered to the forum to get some 'real world' info on Tacomas. I actually own an Acura RSX, but my younger brother is considering an older Toyota Tacoma for his first vehicle purchase. Now that he has a good paying job, and an actual commute, he needs a vehicle.

I put it in his head that a smaller pickup would be a good idea, preferably something 4 cylinder, and if possible 4x4. It would be nice for me as well since i have ATVs and having the pickup truck would be nice to haul them. My brother doesn't have a ton of money to sink into car, nor does he really want to spend a lot. He's not very materialistic at all. He just wants something reliable.

So upon searching for local small pickup trucks, we found a 96 Toyota Tacoma 2.7L 4x4 Auto with about 230k miles on it, literally in town. I've been extending searches, and can't find any other Tacomas on the big auto websites, craiglist and ebay. I though they're would be a lot more.

My brother looked at the Tacoma, he said the body wasn't perfect. Not awful, but there was a hole above the rear wheel, which would have to be bondo. They have it for $3500, but I already called and asked whats the lowest they'd go, they said $3,000. So I'm thinking if I show up with like $2700-2800 cash maybe we can do a deal.

Aside from me not driving it yet, my brother said there were other cars blocking it, and he didn't have time to wait. He did say it started right up, and the engine itself looks pretty good from pics. Once we drive it than we can see, but how does that sound? Is that a horrible price, and the fact that it has 230k good or bad? I know nothing about pickups, and I'm surprised we actually found a 4 cylinder, with 4x4. It's usually one or the other. I would have preferred it being manual, but oh well.

I just want your honest opinion on it. The paint isn't pretty. It's not awful, but you can tell some spots we're resprayed. But I was thinking if mechanically it's good, and the interior is nice, which it is. It may be worth it just to get a re-spray at Maaco for a couple hundred dollars.

Anyway, I'd like to know your thoughs? Is this a good deal, or should I be running? The fact that it's 4x4 is a huge plus since we had an awful winter last year, and my brother has a long commute.

Thanks!!! :):):)

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Sep 18, 2011 at 9:09 AM
    TacoMX

TacoMX TW's Official anti body-lift pundit

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Deltona, Florida
    230K is a bit much, but not horrible for a taco. Ask them what kind of maintenance has been done to the truck. Ask them if they replaced the water pump, when the last time the coolant was flushed, how often the oil was changed, tranny and differential fluids. Check all the fluids. Look for leaks. Look at the CV axles to make sure the boots aren't ripped.

And above all else, look for frame rust. If there is a lot of frame rust or any holes, run away. These older tacos had problems with the frames rusting out. If you want, take some pics of anything and post them up on here and we can tell you what we think.

And what kind of hole is the body? Body damage or rust? If its rust that could point you in the direction of even worse rust damage to the truck.

3. Sep 18, 2011 at 10:02 AM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.
    ^what he said.

also if starter has been changed and timing belt

4. Sep 18, 2011 at 4:53 PM
    JaCkaL829

JaCkaL829 [OP] Member

Member:
  5. Sep 18, 2011 at 6:23 PM
    TacoMX

TacoMX TW's Official anti body-lift pundit

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Deltona, Florida
    4 cylinder=timing chain. Which pretty much never needs replaced unless it breaks or wears out (almost never)

But if it was a V6, yes the timing belt would be an important thing to ask about

6. Sep 18, 2011 at 7:45 PM
    TACOMABOSS

TACOMABOSS Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    96 SR5 4x4
    Bilstein 5100s, Toytec AAL, Deck plate mod, Hella 500ff's, Sportsman Camo seat covers, Total Chaos 1" diff drop, JVC stereo, Painted bumpers and grille, Custom grille insert, HID projectors, Black spray paint
    230k is pretty high. but for $3,000 its not bad. it will go much more than 230k

7. Sep 19, 2011 at 10:20 AM
    jbrandt

jbrandt Made you look

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    El Dorado, CA (NOT El Dorado Hills)
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD Tacoma 4x4 DC
    Kings, J59's Total Chaos UCAs Custom skids Sticker mod

Just an FYI, the last time I bought a car from a used car lot, the place spray painted the exhaust heat sinks so you couldn't see the massive amounts of rust on the exhaust. It fell off while my wife was driving down the freeway. :eek:

Just be careful of these little tricks that dealers use to make a car look better so you'll buy it.

8. Sep 19, 2011 at 10:58 AM
    UndefinedTaco

UndefinedTaco I'll eat all your food.

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Tracy, CA
    Vehicle:
    Toyota
    It's an 89 Toyota Pickup. I got some stuff done to it.. FJ axles going under it soon.
    If a chain breaks, your going to be replacing a hell alot of other stuff then just the chain.

Chain should last the duration of the motor.

I'd check to see if it has new wires, coilpacks. Check airfilter and condition of it. Check oilpan for leaks,possibly rear main seal, check belts.

See what's up with them all.

9. Sep 19, 2011 at 11:06 AM
    Creepwood

Creepwood Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 4X4 QCLB
    5100's w/885's up front, 5100's w/AAL out back
    That's price is probably below average for the mileage for around here. I'm not sure about the rust factoring in as most of the trucks around here don't have rust.

Recently before I bought mine I went and looked at a 2001 ex cab v6 auto 4x4. The carfax checks all came from connecticut, pennsylvania, and new york. Interior was pretty spotless. The undercarriage was pretty rusted with 130k on the odo and they wanted I think it was 10k for it. I mean so rusty that the e-brake mechanism seized up and the cable had snapped from being yanked on. Just a reference point.

Products Discussed in

To Top