1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Interested in Riding, Advice?

Discussion in 'Motorcycles' started by BenevolentMachination, May 28, 2019.

1. May 28, 2019 at 5:14 PM
    BenevolentMachination

BenevolentMachination [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ground Zero
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma 3RZ 4WD Xtra
    Click spoilers for:
    • Training
    • Gear
    • Motorcycle
    • Rider's Rules

Apart from the continued education of online-reading and video-watching (the credit of which goes to the riding community); this is a thoughtful list of how I would answer, "Interested in Riding, Advice?" any other responses are very much welcomed and appreciated.

Training:
    • ~$300 for a class (worth it)
    • MSF: Motorcycle Safety Foundation (About MSF)
    • CMSP: California Motorcycle Safety Program (CMSP FAQ)
    • Do not underestimate or undermine your trainers
    • Arrive early, depart last (learn the most, listen to others' questions answered, give yourself time to process the information)
    • Do not be afraid to ask questions
    • Bring a notepad and a pen for notes

Gear:
    • ATGATT: All the Gear All the Time
      • DOT, ECE, or Snell-approved:
        • Helmet
      • Textile, or leather:
        • Jacket, gloves, and pants
      • Leather high-top:
        • Boots
    • If you have friends that think gear is stupid, don't ride with them or seek their advice. If you're their alpha, then guide them to better choices.
    • Know what other riders have gone thru without using the proper gear all the time; serious injuries. Not only the injuries that heal over months but injuries that stay with you for a long time if not 'til you die; false teeth implants, seizures, migraines, medications, physical therapy, lost limbs, etc.
    • And after all, a motorcycle is dangerous; you may not survive even with ATGATT, you may lose a limb even with ATGATT, but that is where training supersedes the justification for less gear.

Motorcycle:
    • Sit on all types of beginner motorcycles at a dealership
    • Buy bike with low miles of the style you decided at the dealership (cycletrader, craigslist, motorcycle forum, etc.)
      • With maintenance records
      • Tell Seller to meet you at a mechanic to check out the bike
      • Test ride the bike after it is checked out and passed inspection.
    • Look up recalls on select bike, ask for applicable paperwork on fixes/replacements
    • Don't spend more than the kelleybluebook value on a new-used motorcycle (unless it is a good deal and you have done your due diligence)
      • Remember dealerships charge 1.5 to 2 or even thrice as much for a bike that would be just as good with low miles and a good maintenance history
    • Brands? The popular brands; no chinese-made knockoffs or wannabes.
      • Even popular brands produce motorcycles with faulty engineering and hardware; do your research on the bike that feels nice to you; you may want one or two generations newer or older depending on the recalls or problems you read about online.
      • Popular brands (Suzuki, KTM, Honda, Yamaha, Beta, Kawasaki, Husqvarna, etc.) will have more long-term support both from the manufacturer and aftermarket; chinese kockoffs and off-brands won't.
    • Weigh the pros and cons of Fuel Injection versus Carbureted motors
    • Don't bring cash with you on the first meet of the desired bike; sleep on it.

Rider's Rules:
    • No showboating
    • No riding tired
    • Watch their wheels
      • If a car at an adjacent path is going to roll into your existence, watch their wheels.
    • No riding with a group until you have a solid year of riding experience
      • 365 days owning a motorcycle means nothing if you ride just a few times a year;
        • Once, twice or more rides per week (52-104 rides a year equate to a more realistic "year of riding experience")
        • Like practicing any skill; you cannot do it once or twice a year and expect yourself to gain the experience or retain the knowledge of that skill over time without doing that thing consistently over a long period of time.
    • Don't be afraid to lean more
      • The bike can do more than we think it can
      • We can do more than we think we can (as a humble rider; not as an arrogant one)
    • Ride within your limits
      • Your own pace
      • Inside your comfort zone
      • Without peer pressure
      • On your terms
      • Without rushing
      • Keeping distance; time to react
    • Ride without distractions
      • With a clear head (sometimes I must take 30 seconds before I start the motor to get into the zone)
      • See something attractive? Okay, regain your focus.
      • Focus on where you're going to be (you will learn this in training)

Take affirmative action based on the most reasonable source(s) of information.

@HerT4R, because your interest in the video I posted as another response inspired me to write this thread, as seen here:

2ndToy and HawkShot99 like this.
  2. Jun 1, 2019 at 8:31 PM
    HerT4R

HerT4R Nomadic

Member:
    First Name:
    Her
    Bless the rains
    Vehicle:
    2 legs or 2 wheels
    '10 4RUNNER TE (SOLD)
    this is great info! not quite sure why you posted them all as spoilers because I have to keep opening them up, but I appreciate the consolidation of useful information. I just ordered some pants and a helmet (should be in this week). I am having trouble sizing a jacket. I went to a nearby dealer and tried on all that they had an actually liked a jacket but the arms were a little too short for me. I will keep on the hunt.

As for the bike, i did my MSF class on a grom. and I have 0 complaints with the grom. Which is why I am considering starting on a crf250L. affordable, reliable, good support, dual sport is what I am leaning toward. It is a bike I wil not be afraid to ride. I know its not really highway ready but thats not what I am buying ti for.

Also thanks for linking back to the other thread so when users find this one they can also easily find the other thread.

3. Jun 2, 2019 at 5:36 PM
    Beaner Taco

Beaner Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    WV
    Vehicle:
    '17 SR5
    Am a MSF rider coach and completely agree on getting training. Other advice would include ride your own ride (don't play follow the leader with idiots); practice; rider sober; don't ride when over emotional (ride smart); pick the right bike for you; do track days; and be a lifelong learner.

4. Jun 2, 2019 at 5:49 PM
    HawkShot99

HawkShot99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kingston, NY
    Vehicle:
    13' Silver DCLB TRD Sport - Sold
    All Good advise. I took the MSF coarse 2 days after getting my permit so I had no chance to build bad habits. They taught me several things that didn't make initial sense to me, but since I had no prior experience I was able to get the proper way stuck in my brain.
    I highly recommend the class to anyone. If your going to drop the $ on a bike and gear $300 is nothing.

Products Discussed in

To Top