1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Intermittent front end vibration

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by tacowade57, Jun 24, 2017.

1. Jun 24, 2017 at 11:42 PM
    tacowade57

tacowade57 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    wade
    Vehicle:
    2002 toyota tacoma sr5 extra cab 4x4
    I have a 2002 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 extra cab and I am experiencing front end vibration that is intermittent. I put 4 new tires on it and had it aligned. It still has a pull to the right even though it is well within Toyota specs. I notice it around 50 MPH and 60 mph. Haven't had it much over that because of the speed limit where I drive does not go above that. I checked the wheel while jacked up and I cannot find any play from up or down wiggling the wheel nor no play in the upper or lower ball joints. I had a 1995 Toyota Tacoma that I bought tires for and alignment from the same place and never experienced that with that truck. What could I be getting this vibration from. The only thing difference between these two trucks is the 1995 had lock outs and this one does not. I have checked also for play in the front axles and there is none. What else to check out.

2. Jun 25, 2017 at 8:31 AM
    v5ensx

v5ensx CARB legal is not CALI legal

Member:
    Check your drive shaft u joints. I had a truck that vibrates only between 55 to 60mph. Truck rides fine before 55 and fine again after 60. The shake wasn't bad, but definitely noticeable if you're the driver. Check for driveshaft play.

3. Jun 25, 2017 at 10:58 AM
    mechanicjon

mechanicjon They call me "Jonny Stubs"

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Vehicle:
    04 Taco SC 4dr SR5 TRD Prerunner
    Supercharged, AEM FIC/6, Meth Inj, ION Alloy's, Radio & Phone steering Wheel controls,Fabtech AAL, Billie's wrapped with 880's , Tundra big brake conversion, bully bars and Pioneer DDin Stereo/dvd with exterrnal usb ports. 290K and going strong.
    I have a slight front end vibration that's inconsistent. Sometimes it's smooth as silk other times slight vibration in wheel. haven't pin pointed it yet.

4. Jun 25, 2017 at 9:00 PM
    tacowade57

Member:
    First Name:
    wade
    Vehicle:
    v5ensx the u-joints have no play. I do have rotational play from the transfer case to the rear diff. I can turn it about 3/8". Is this what you mean by driveshaft play?

5. Jun 26, 2017 at 10:21 PM
    tacowade57

Member:
    First Name:
    wade
    Vehicle:
    Mechanicjon that is what I am experiencing. These Toyotas follow and read the road like a fine turntable. Not the smoothest ride but accurate. My 95 never had this issue of vibration after new tires and alignment. I should go over to my nephews house and crawl under it to compare wear. I don't think he should say anything, shouldn't I straight up gave him the old truck for free.

6. Jun 26, 2017 at 11:29 PM
    mechanicjon

mechanicjon They call me "Jonny Stubs"

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Vehicle:
    04 Taco SC 4dr SR5 TRD Prerunner
    Supercharged, AEM FIC/6, Meth Inj, ION Alloy's, Radio & Phone steering Wheel controls,Fabtech AAL, Billie's wrapped with 880's , Tundra big brake conversion, bully bars and Pioneer DDin Stereo/dvd with exterrnal usb ports. 290K and going strong.
    I've completely rebuilt my front end. New tires rack bushings shocks everything but wheel bearings. 250K it was time. Wheel bearings sound good. Next I'm going to try road force balancing the tires.

7. Jun 26, 2017 at 11:44 PM
    yayayayayaya

yayayayayaya Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    1999 V6 Tacoma
    Keeping it tame
    My vibration went away when I changed my outer tie rods and cv axles. My inner tie rods too when I replaced my rack and pinion in the same swoop.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  8. Jun 27, 2017 at 12:36 PM
    wilcam47

wilcam47 Keep on keeping on!

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Bourbon state
    Thats normal I think...if the u-joints are loose or "center/carrier bearing" is worn you may have a vib from that center bearing.I changed mine and that vibe went away.

9. Aug 8, 2017 at 9:30 PM
    tacowade57

Member:
    First Name:
    wade
    Vehicle:
    Finally got rid of my vibrations at highway speeds today. Went to Discount Tire yesterday and made an appointment for the tires to be road force balanced with the Toyota lug centering flange. I was watching them set the tire in the machine and the young guy did not put the lug flange on so I told the manager that he was not using the flange. So the manager went out and got the flange tool and had him recheck it. the reading did change quite a bit. Toyota truck tires are not hub centric but are lug centric. So much better, glad I got them balanced properly.

wilcam47 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top