1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Intermitttent Skip after New Plugs?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Fiveo, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Oct 25, 2009 at 2:55 PM
    Fiveo

Fiveo [OP] Member

Member:
    al-uh-BAM-uh
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner SR5, Black Sand Pearl
    Bug guard, Soft Tonneau Cover, 700w Power Inverter, N-Fab Step Rails, Spidertrax, Rear Suspension TSB..pretty basic stuff.
    Hope you guys can help, 'cause I am stumped on how to figure this out... Did the full 30K service on my truck this morning, and after I started the truck, I noticed there was an intermittent skip while idling. It never did that before (of course), and I went one by one with the plugs, careful with the coils, made sure all the wires were plugged back up tight...everything I could think of. The only thing I can figure is I must have a bad plug, and it is not firing as it should.

Trouble is, I have no idea how to figure out which plug it is. I bought the plugs from the dealer, so I should have no problem swapping it for a new one. Any suggestions on finding the culprit? I would like to take it back to the dealer and have them do the diagnostic to find it, but that is probably not going to happen unless I cough up some cash and pay them to do it. :confused:

2. Oct 25, 2009 at 3:15 PM
    Doc.SS

Doc.SS ︻╦╤─

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    O'side
    Vehicle:
    T4R SR5
    did you gap the plugs or leave them like them came?
    I'd double check all the wiring to make sure you didn't leave something off

Out of curosity, why did you change the plugs already?

3. Oct 25, 2009 at 3:20 PM
    rhoppas

rhoppas Land of Oz

Member:
    Topeka, KS
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab V6 TRD Sport Tow
    Earnhardt Cannons, Terra Grapplers, Viper alarm, Hunter4x4 Bull Bar, 6" Pro Comp Off-Road lights, extra set of bed D-rings, Chrome exhaust tip, Metra Ipod/MP3 adapter, Garmin GPS, CarriageWorks grill, Maglite mounted to driver seat, 9" Stubbie Antenna, WeatherTech floor liners, Saddleman Neoprene seat covers, DeeZee bed mat
    The plugs are due to be changed at 30K miles.

4. Oct 25, 2009 at 3:24 PM
    Fiveo

Fiveo [OP] Member

Member:
    al-uh-BAM-uh
    Vehicle:
    Bug guard, Soft Tonneau Cover, 700w Power Inverter, N-Fab Step Rails, Spidertrax, Rear Suspension TSB..pretty basic stuff.
    I checked the gaps, and all were .40. And I have 34K miles on it, and apparently have to be done to keep the emission control warranty good. But I change them anyway every 30K on all my vehicle, just for the sake of keeping everything running good.

5. Oct 25, 2009 at 3:39 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    I agree with double checking the connections. Make sure the coils are all pressed on tight, and the connectors are seated in the connections. Take them apart, check to make sure no debris is in them, and re connect.

6. Oct 25, 2009 at 3:46 PM
    Doc.SS

Doc.SS ︻╦╤─

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    O'side
    Vehicle:
    T4R SR5
    I gotcha...I saw 2008 and assumed it was still ~20k miles.....
    I don't put a lot of miles on my vehicles...

7. Oct 25, 2009 at 5:50 PM
    Fiveo

Fiveo [OP] Member

Member:
    al-uh-BAM-uh
    Vehicle:
    Ok. I will try again tomorrow morning, and do everything over again. As careful as I was, maybe I got some anti-seize on the electrode or something stupid like that. :anonymous:Thanks, and i will let you know how it comes out.

8. Oct 26, 2009 at 8:01 AM
    Fiveo

Fiveo [OP] Member

Member:
    al-uh-BAM-uh
    Vehicle:
    Went back through, check all the connections, checked all the plugs for gap, did find one that had a little smear of anti-seize on the electrode and got it cleaned off, buttoned it all back up and checked everything against Chris4x4's write-up...started the truck....still the intermittent skipping :confused::confused::confused::confused:. This just boggles the mind. It runs fine while driving it, just while it idles it skips. Sometimes every few seconds, sometimes 7-10 seconds. Makes no sense.

9. Oct 26, 2009 at 8:04 AM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    pull one wire at a time while its running,see if you can see it spark

10. Oct 26, 2009 at 8:13 AM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    Hmmm....And yet no engine light?

11. Oct 26, 2009 at 8:23 AM
    Toyota Truck

Toyota Truck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prerunnner
    Magnaflow Muffler-TSB springs-Nuvi 265wt-aFe pro dry s filter-Husky Liners-Blue dome light-extra d-rings-OME 90000 sport struts-885 coils-N182 shocks-TSB AAL-LR UCAs-procomp black alloy rims- nitto terra grapplers-20% tint
    subscribed

12. Oct 26, 2009 at 11:06 AM
    Fiveo

Fiveo [OP] Member

Member:
    al-uh-BAM-uh
    Vehicle:
    No check engine light. The dealership thinks I might have a cracked plug, but I am not finding one. They told me if I can't get it figured out to bring it in the morning and they will see if they can sort it out, and if they have to, will hook it up and do a diag @ $79.

13. Oct 26, 2009 at 11:16 AM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    Im still trying to wrap my head around this.....Other than a connector, or plug, Im not sure what would cause this. Especially with OEM plugs.....

14. Oct 26, 2009 at 9:39 PM
    KevinOK

KevinOK Member

Member:
    Well if you have the original plugs put those back in and see if the skip goes away, if it does then you likely have one plug with a hairline crack.

If the problem persists then it would likely be coil or connector on one of the plugs. A diag will identify which plug it is coming from then replace connector or coil as needed and or inspect and see if you can get a fix on the issue, could be something as simple as the spring in coil or something on the spring or connector contact loose.

15. Oct 27, 2009 at 8:58 AM
    Fiveo

Fiveo [OP] Member

Member:
    al-uh-BAM-uh
    Vehicle:
    Today's lesson: You will have a slight misfire, not enough to flip on the Check Engine light but enough to notice, if there is a spark plug not gapped right. I had my son helping me, and I checked all the gaps before installation and made sure all were correct, but he dropped on in the engine bay. Didn't think much of it as it was not a hard drop or anything, and we installed it...he helped check things out and apparently did not check the gap on that plug like I thought he did as he was looking for anti-seize on the electrode and physical damage to the plug. I did not follow behind him (totally my fault) since I had already watched him install all of them the first time and he did fine with it. But, dropping the plug did change the gap, and it caused the stutter in the engine. Plug replaced, gapped correctly, no more stutter. On the lighter side, had them check the noise in the rear suspension that appeared after they did the TSB and it was a loose shock bolt. So, the trip to the dealer was not a total waste, even though I still feel dumb for bringing a problem to the dealer I should have found myself. Thanks for all the great information and ideas on this site...I just need to make sure to follow behind my helpers from here on.

16. Oct 27, 2009 at 9:01 AM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    Good to hear you got it! I was racking my head wondering what else it could be.

17. Oct 27, 2009 at 9:07 AM
    Doc.SS

Doc.SS ︻╦╤─

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    O'side
    Vehicle:
    T4R SR5
    No kidding.
    My previous car, the injector wires could get crimped and cause a misfire that'd go under the radar for normal usage but it'd show itself during extended idle.

Products Discussed in

To Top