1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Introductions and Mod Questions

Discussion in 'New Members' started by The Yellow Dart, Mar 11, 2010.

1. Mar 11, 2010 at 8:32 AM
    The Yellow Dart

The Yellow Dart [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    07 //SR5 4x4
    OME 2.5" Lift, TC UCAs, LEER Cap, Sleeping platform, PA20-TOY
    Greetings from Seattle everyone.

I just got my 2007 Super White 4.0 Access Cab 4x4 automatic about 3 weeks ago, and I've been lurking a bit ever since.

It's not my first Toyota, I had a 1988 4x4 Pickup from 2000 to 2004. Locking hubs! Awesome.

I have to admit there is a ton of great information here. I was here for one day and I saw the tailgate theft warning and put some clamps on the same day.

It's because of that information I come seeking education. I've tried to locate the answers to these in the threads an via search, but I've gotten lazy...

I've been reading about the TSB AAL and Springs. Also about some upgrades like 5100s, etc. My questions are thus:

1.) If I purchased the Platinum Warranty, does it cover the TSBs? My pamphlet shows suspension and springs listed under the covered parts.

2.) What's the difference between AAL and the TSB Springs? Or is there no difference and I am just getting crossed-up depending on the thread I am currently looking through?

3.) If in the long run, I am going to go with something a little more robust, like the 5100s, should I just skip the TSB Springs/AAL and get them instead?

4.) Besides these and the tailgate TSB, (and apparently a possibly forthcoming rust one) are there any other issues I should be aware of with my Year/Model?

5.) Any other basic suggestions that I can/should do to improve the driveability/reliability of my truck?

If there are any posts/threads here that answer these questions, please point me in the right direction and I'll chase down the links. Thanks!

As you may have gathered, I'm not very automotive savvy, which is one of the reasons I bought a Tacoma. It's not that I don't know the parts of a truck or how they work as much as I have no knowledge/experience with automotive work outside of routine maintenance and changing bulbs and oil. I plan on that changing through the further use of this site.

This is going to be my daily driver with the weekend camping/snowboarding/minor offroading trips mixed in, but I'm eventually (house has to come first, for now) going to want to beef it up to handle deeper snow and possibly some rocky terrain.

So, thanks in advance for any and all help, and I look forward to getting to know the members here a little more.

- Nick

2. Mar 11, 2010 at 9:13 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    1) No It doesn't specifically cover it. The TSBs usually SAY 3yr/36K warranty.
    2) An AAL goes into the leaf pack you have- The TSB gives you a new leaf pack with a 4th spring in it. You can add an AAL to EITHER a PRE or POST TSB leaf pack.
    3) The TSB springs and the 5100 SHOCKS go together well...If you are planning on lifting you will need more robust shocks down the road.
    4) I wouldn't call the rust one "Forthcoming" quite yet- There is some confusion about that. And there is a list aorund here somewhere with all the TSBs for the 2nd Gen trucks on it.
    5) Good regular maintenance with quality fluids and parts. Being that yours is used- I would flush everything- Coolant, Power Steering, Brakes, Oil, Trans Fluid, Diffs- and refill with your choice of quality synthetics (where that applies). Everyeon else- Back me up- Did I miss anything that needs/can be refreshed??

Welcome to the board YD- We'll teach you anything you wanna know!!

3. Apr 2, 2010 at 5:55 PM
    The Yellow Dart

The Yellow Dart [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    07 //SR5 4x4
    OME 2.5" Lift, TC UCAs, LEER Cap, Sleeping platform, PA20-TOY
    Okay. I've got a TSB update now.

Took it to the dealer I got it from, and they told me that even though I have the Platinum Warranty, Toyota will not honor the TSB unless parts fail.

But, the good folks at my dealer gave me the name and contact info of the person they talked to at Extra Care and she and I will have a little chat soon about logistics of Safety Standards Under Load.

On the plus side, they cleaned out my rear brake drums free of charge and got rid of a little squeak I was experiencing. That was nice.

Products Discussed in

To Top