1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

iPad for Navigation (in the dirt)

Discussion in 'Technology' started by PELLEY, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Feb 6, 2012 at 1:40 PM
    PELLEY

PELLEY [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    So I am not very well versed in all things iPad, or navigation for that matter. I really like the idea of using my iPad for navigation on the trail though! Like one of the expensive Laurance GPS's, but much better, if I can figure out how to do it. I did a lot of searchin on Expedition Portal and most of it was in terms I don't understand. From what I have gathered so far, most people use MotionX HD, and thats about it.

Anyone have experience with this? Or able to share how to upload topo maps and cordinates. I think I figured out how to download maps to the device so I don't have to load them, now I need to figure out how to put the cordinates for the trail run in...

2. Feb 6, 2012 at 1:46 PM
    Lost_Humanity

Lost_Humanity Bad decisions make great stories.

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    It's a Toyota.
    Bumper Dent Mod
    If you're going to go the iPad route, make sure you get one with 3G, or have a mobile WiFi. The iPad is just a paperweight without a connection.

You can still run the maps and software, but it won't update GPS coordinates or real-time locations without a signal. And if you're out in the boonies one might be hard to come by.

3. Feb 6, 2012 at 1:51 PM
    PELLEY

Member:
    I already have the iPad, it's a first gen wifi.... I got it for free though so I can't complain, yay Christmas party!

I do plan on upgrading one day, to get the 3G, but thats honestly a whole different conversation in regards to internet and all that crap. Right now I just want to do maps and navigation.

There is a company called Duel who makes a GPS reciever for the iPad so I will be using that to get in touch with the satalite. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470939031&pf_rd_i=507846

From what I have read, even with the 3G models, you want one of these receivers because they use the 3G to help with the factory GPS, so they don't work as good. But that is another discussion as well...

4. Feb 6, 2012 at 1:58 PM
    Cr250jumper

Cr250jumper Señor member

Member:
    The moon
    Vehicle:
    50 shades of tan©
    Tacoma with some stuff melted to it
    Im pretty sure a Lowrance still has it beat. Good idea if you already have an iPad though

5. Feb 6, 2012 at 2:01 PM
    Lost_Humanity

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    It's a Toyota.
    Bumper Dent Mod
    Yeah, I forgot to mention the GPS receiver.

I've found that MotionX is good, but they don't allow a lot of cache for the maps. Plus, again, without a connection you cannot do route adjustments along the way. You kind of set your route and have to follow it.

I use an app called Gaia GPS on my iPhone for backpacking. It's pretty good as far as letting you cache maps at a certain zoom level. It also has some trails already marked in the software. You can set waypoints along the way, and it gives you a detailed (and exportable!) trip report.

I never rely on it as my main navigation tool (I'm old-school map & compass) but I like it as a backup. Not sure if they make it for the iPad. I shall research...

6. Feb 6, 2012 at 2:04 PM
    Lost_Humanity

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    It's a Toyota.
    Bumper Dent Mod
    Well sumbitch. Seems I already have Gaia installed on my iPad. Shows how much I use it...

7. Feb 6, 2012 at 2:06 PM
    PELLEY

Member:
    YA I am sure the Laurence still has it beat... but I am not a racer, so I am trying to find more of an "all-in-one" tool for the limited space we have in these things.

For the route changes and all that, I have my trusty iPhone, and an older Gamin I keep handy for the road, or anything like that.

With MotionX, I was messing with it last night, and was able to select an area on the map and download it to the device. I was able to say how much or little I want to be able to zoom, and set the area I wanted to have on the device. So with that I can plot my course as I go, and have a zoomable, and usable part of the map already installed to my device for the area I will be in.

Now I am trying to add a KMZ from google earth that I have to plot the cordinates of the trail over the topo map... we never really follow these things to the T, but want to be able to see where I am in regards to the main trail.

Products Discussed in

To Top