1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

iPod classic and Entune issues?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by mdwall, Apr 11, 2020.

1. Apr 11, 2020 at 7:17 PM
    mdwall

mdwall [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Offroad
    So I purchased a 2020 TRD off road with the JBL system which sounds pretty great to my ears so far. The question to me is why am I having issues with it indexing the tracks on my iPod classic where I can search by voice? Granted i have like 4600 songs on it but on my Charger after like 15 minutes of it indexing I could do whatever and whenever I wanted to with searching (though I could fiddle with the screen while driving so voice command wasn't even an issue, apparently Toyota says that's a nono) Is it something I should just give it some time or has anyone else ran into this issue and if you did what did you do to fix it?
    Yeah I realize classics are kind of dinosaur tech at this point but hell I can pack all my music on it, listen whenever and wherever I want and not worry about my phone so its the ultimate setup for me I just want it to work.

gsubioguy and JamBandDan like this.
  2. Apr 21, 2020 at 8:22 AM
    Mugen_1

Mugen_1 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma TRD Sport DCLB
    TRD exhaust
    Following. I just bought a '20 TRD Sport with the JBL and both my iPod Classics only seem to function normally when the truck is parked. My 160GB has roughly 10,000 songs on it so indexing takes a minute (never an issue with the Genesis Coupe I traded in for it). If I'm parked, I can use the Browse and Song List features either by touching the screen or using the tune wheel. Once the vehicle is in motion, Song List becomes grayed out and Browse shows all the subcategories (artist, song, genre, etc), but I can't select anything but Artist and it starts playing the first artist alphabetically. I still have the Browse option but it doesn't seem to do anything. I can't find anything in the owners manual that states a condition the vehicle has to meet in order for all the functions of an iPod to work properly.

JamBandDan likes this.
  3. Apr 21, 2020 at 8:36 PM
    mdwall

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Offroad
    Well I’m glad I’m not alone. I’ve come to the decision it’s just that the classic is too slow to stay in sync with entune so I’ve swapped over to a iPod touch I got for a good deal and so far it seems to work much better though it still takes it at least 5 minutes to index everything at startup which is a bother because uconnect (Dodge’s infotainment) had absolutely zero problems but it’s also the only one I never have had any issues with. I still can’t use the screen in motion which is apparently a safety feature which I again think is stupid but I can actually navigate my library on the touch no matter what I’m doing so while not my ideal solution it works‍♂️

4. Apr 22, 2020 at 6:49 AM
    Mugen_1

Mugen_1 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    TRD exhaust
    Yeah I did some digging last night and found this statement by Toyota:

“Toyota has limited the amount of content customers may be able to browse while driving in accordance with the new government guidelines to minimize driver distraction.

All Entune™ 3.0 and newer vehicles will display only the playing artist and album when the vehicle is in motion, and list scrolling will be limited unless the vehicle is stopped. As an alternative to touch-based scrolling, Toyota’s enhanced Voice Recognition system will allow you to search artists, albums and songs from your iPod more easily and with greater accuracy.”

I work for a Toyota dealer and was told this morning by someone in sales Toyota is on the verge of axing Entune, citing it truly is a problematic, garbage system. What's strange is the '19 TRD Sport I drove for a weekend earlier this year also had Entune 3.0 but the ability to scroll was NOT restricted while the vehicle is in motion. I ended up buying a well-reviewed 30-pin/Bluetooth adapter from Amazon which should still allow track selection and volume to work from the truck's controls while still being able to scroll freely with the iPod itself. I'll know for sure when it gets here Friday.

mdwall[OP] likes this.
  5. Apr 22, 2020 at 8:55 AM
    mdwall

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Offroad
    Oh sweet! let me know how that BT adapter works for you because I'd really much rather return the Touch and just go back to my standby classic

6. Apr 24, 2020 at 7:05 AM
    Mugen_1

Mugen_1 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    TRD exhaust
    So I got the adapter. It pairs fine to my Aiwa Exos-9 (but the volume won't go any louder than the iPod will output natively for some reason), my Nakamichi soundbar and the Pioneer head unit in my '04 Celica, and plays on all three. BUT, it will only pair to my Tacoma and not play. The iPod shows it's playing, the truck shows it's connected, but there's no sound being transmitted. My phone plays fine via Bluetooth. I tried the adapter on my older 80GB classic and it yielded the same result. I may contact the company to see if there's anything they'd recommend, otherwise I'll just return it since it doesn't seem to work for the sole application for which it was purchased. This is the adapter: KOKKIA i10s.

mdwall[OP] likes this.
  7. Apr 25, 2020 at 12:49 PM
    mdwall

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Offroad
    Well that’s a real bummer. I wonder why it can’t just use the BT audio stream maybe it’s the transmitter? But that would t make sense if it worked with your other systems. I think Toyota didn’t even think about people with music players or collections when they set up entune. If I could find a way to disable the lockout it would be nice but I guess for now I’ll just keep using my touch in the car since I can actually navigate it by hand or once it decides to catalog everything via voice but it’s still stupid

8. Apr 26, 2020 at 7:37 AM
    Brownarm

Brownarm Member

Member:
    Victoria bc Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Sport Premium........ 2014 DCSB trd sport-retired
    Bak flip, full kicker system with HS10 hideaway,
    I am also suffering from this issue, my 14 had no problems using the ipod. Anyone know if there is a wire going to the head unit that tells it the vehicle is in motion?

9. Apr 26, 2020 at 7:44 AM
    mdwall

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Offroad
    To my understanding there is a harness you can put into some of the newer ones with GPS which effectively stops the lockout from my casual searches on here. But it requires tearing the dash apart and getting the radio out to put it in line to the main radio harness on the back of the head unit. I'm not sure how comfortable I am personally with taking my new truck apart but your mileage may vary.

lpfe42 likes this.
  10. May 11, 2020 at 6:14 AM
    Mugen_1

Mugen_1 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    TRD exhaust
    *UPDATE*

After fiddling with the KOKKIA i10s mentioned in my previous post, I WAS able to get it paired to my truck and am now enjoying both my iPod Classics via Bluetooth. The adapter retained the steering wheel track selection and audio controls as well. For those looking for the most painless workaround for older iPods, I now HIGHLY recommend this device.

11. Sep 29, 2020 at 11:48 AM
    zagfreak

zagfreak New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Cement Tacoma

12. Sep 29, 2020 at 11:54 AM
    zagfreak

zagfreak New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Cement Tacoma
    "As an alternative to touch-based scrolling, Toyota’s enhanced Voice Recognition system will allow you to search artists, albums and songs from your iPod more easily and with greater accuracy.”

I thought the original issue of the the first post was the time it takes to index all the songs so Voice Recognition doesn't work? Same issue for me: ipod classic 9K plus songs and even 2 hours into a road trip i tried to go to a song/artist via voice and it said, "still downloading catalog " (or something like that?).. Does it really take that much time to index? Amazing....... Thanks

13. Sep 29, 2020 at 12:05 PM
    shiftd

shiftd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma TRD Pro
    This device is intriguing as I also have an ipod classic with thousands of songs and try to prevent streaming data if I don't have to. I also hate how often sirus disconnects due to trees, overpasses or whatever. I'll have to see if there is a similar device that also allows me to charge at the same time. That way I could put it in the console and not worry about it.

14. Dec 10, 2020 at 3:10 PM
    RWTaco

RWTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Red Wing MN
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5
    This thread gave me the info I was looking for. What a stupid feature. So if the truck is moving not even a passenger can scroll through the ipod. I suppose 1 in a trillion people love listening to music alphabetically...

Products Discussed in

To Top