1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ipod hook up

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by wheelieking396, Nov 3, 2007.

1. Nov 3, 2007 at 3:15 PM
    wheelieking396

wheelieking396 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 prerunner db cab trd off road
    I have a 06 prerunner with the stock radio and I was wondering if anybody hooked up a ipod yet to the oem radio? Is there a good kit that works well if so I would like to try it...THX

2. Nov 3, 2007 at 4:38 PM
    ZonKs

ZonKs Can speak french in Russian.

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Glendale, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Sport DCSB 4x4
    =p
  3. Nov 3, 2007 at 5:36 PM
    rpoint16

rpoint16 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tempe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD Off-Road, Super White.
    Bone Stock
    I had a local Audio shop put in a FM Modulator (the one with a switch). The IPOD connects to that. Sounds good. $75.00 installed

4. Nov 3, 2007 at 6:51 PM
    wormhole7

wormhole7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lake Dallas, Tx
    Vehicle:
    TSS
    Leather, Suspension TSB, Billy 5100's up front set at .85, Eaton Posi LSD,Grillcraft Black Mesh Grills,Aires Bull Bar,Black Low Profile Narrow Toybox,Black Headlight Mod,Black Tail lights ,USA Spec,Ipod, PopnLock,Bed Mat,Bug Sheild,Vent Visors, Weathertec Liners,Radar,Nuvi 760,Dog Ramp,Convex Mirrors, Roof Rack, Tint, Borla exhaust, Borla Intake, OBX pedals, Home Link Auto Dimming Mirror with remote, 20" Factory Wheels, Factory Tube Steps
    I'd definately go with the usa spec as Zonks mentioned. I've had an FM modulator and it sucked around here because there are no free stations on the FM band.

5. Nov 3, 2007 at 7:07 PM
    rhoppas

rhoppas Land of Oz

Member:
    Topeka, KS
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab V6 TRD Sport Tow
    Earnhardt Cannons, Terra Grapplers, Viper alarm, Hunter4x4 Bull Bar, 6" Pro Comp Off-Road lights, extra set of bed D-rings, Chrome exhaust tip, Metra Ipod/MP3 adapter, Garmin GPS, CarriageWorks grill, Maglite mounted to driver seat, 9" Stubbie Antenna, WeatherTech floor liners, Saddleman Neoprene seat covers, DeeZee bed mat
    Welcome to TW, wheelieking. The nice thing about the USA-Spec and other adapters is that you can control your Ipod from the radio controls. They also charge the Ipod.

6. Nov 3, 2007 at 8:59 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I have an ipod2car unit PXDP
    http://aaronlinsdau.com/gear/articles/ipod2car.html

Been working great for about 3 years - was originally in my Dodge Ram and now in my 2007 tacoma. This unit also hooks directly to your stock radio (with or without 6 disc cd changer), charges your ipod, and uses your stereo controls & steering wheel controls.

7. Feb 19, 2008 at 7:39 AM
    thallium

thallium Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 tacoma pre runner sr5, double cab long bed
    Hi, I have a question maybe some of you can answer. I have the toyota JBL-6 cd changer with sirrius satellite radio hooked up. Can I attached this peripherial and still run my sirrius satellite radio?

Is the usa-spec hooked up to a different port than the sirrius satellite radio? any help would be appreciated

8. Feb 19, 2008 at 8:04 AM
    corywilson13

corywilson13 Canadian Taco

Member:
    Vancouver Island, British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    08 Taco sr5 Access 6spd Std
    Grom-Ipod, Bed Mat, Tool Box with TRD mat, Inifnity 6x9's.
    I bought the grom ipod hookup, and it sounds fine, but the website was misleading, it said you can have FULL control of the ipod from the stereo controls. Yeah-right. The stereo wont even display which song is playing or which playlist you are in, it calls everything "No title" I e-mailed the company and gave them a piece of my mind, they apoligized, but that doesn't make the grom adapter work any better. And yes with the grom has an external jack to plug your sirius or cd changer in-line with the ipod cord.

9. Feb 19, 2008 at 9:24 AM
    maverick491

maverick491 Towing Guru

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Access Cab, TRD off road, 6 cyl, 6 spd
    Activator III brake controller, Extang Fulltilt toneau, Factory bed mat, Extra D-rings in the bed, 2ndary air filter removed, Garmin Ique GPS, Eco-2, AFE Pro Dry-s filter, USASPEC PA12-toy, Pioneer 3-way speakers, SG II on Blendmount, Gulf States Alarm added.
    USA spec does have a pass-through cable with it so if your sirrius runs through the external changer port it can still continue to do so. If you sirrius runs through a set of RCA jacks you can do that too with the usaspec. USA spec is Ipod only. Just to clarify as some people use the term ipod to mean any mp3 player, kind of like Kleenex instead of Facial tissue.

But as long as you are using an actuall apple ipod, then you would be hard pressed to do better than the usa spec pa-12toy. You can set 5 playlists titled Toyota 1-5 and it will automatically use them, or it will just make use of the first 5 alphabetically with the 6th setting being all songs on the Ipod. And as long as you have the text info on the ipod it will display it on the radio face and permit the use of your steering wheel controlls still.

10. Feb 21, 2008 at 7:44 PM
    ricky

ricky Member

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    22 Limited
    I installed a VAIS Techology IPOD interface. It works great. I installed my IPOD in the center console and can control it from my steering wheel or radio. What a difference from the FM units that are on the market. Installation was effortless. Their website is http://www.vaistech.com

Ricky

11. Feb 24, 2008 at 6:50 AM
    chizzums

chizzums New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 Regular Cab SR5
    Does anybody know if the GROM Audio Ipod adapter works in the regular cab? I have everything hooked up right as far as i know but when i push disc it will change over to my ipod but it will only play it for 2 secs and then will go back over to radio or CD. Its like the head unit is not recognizing that my IPOD is there. Any ideas of what is going on?

12. Feb 24, 2008 at 9:31 AM
    corywilson13

corywilson13 Canadian Taco

Member:
    Vancouver Island, British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    08 Taco sr5 Access 6spd Std
    Grom-Ipod, Bed Mat, Tool Box with TRD mat, Inifnity 6x9's.
    it definatly should not mat ter if you have reg cab, access cab, or a spaceship capsule, if the grom is clipped in properly to that back of the stock headunit, and the ipod is connected, press the Disc button on the deck until you can tell its in CD changer mode by the ^ and v to change discs over two of the number buttons. Make sure its on disc one, then press play on your ipod and make sure the || (pause) symbol turns into a > for play. the turn up your speakers and let her rip.

13. Feb 24, 2008 at 12:43 PM
    ZonKs

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Glendale, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Sport DCSB 4x4
    =p
    I just bought an 80GB Ipod classic so im gonna prob buy the PA TOY pretty soon. If anyone is interested in the DF TOY i have, PM me, it might be up for sale soon.

14. Feb 25, 2008 at 6:36 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Did you get an 80g nano classic? If Yes - where'd you buy one used?

Been thinking about a bigger one, but I didn't wanna buy the newer ones. I like to stay with the old style.

15. Feb 25, 2008 at 6:57 AM
    08beachtoy

08beachtoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    08' reg cab 4x4 2.7ltr 5 spd
    Sony cd player /ipod , small amp, bed mat from Dee Zee , A.R.E. custom cap with yakima racks, weather gaurd floor mats , oem fog lights ,oem DRL mod, class III hitch ,custom bed mounted power inverter, tinted windows 5 % all around, oem hood protector /bugshield , avs door visors ,wet okole seat covers , Train air horn
    Well I bought the 08 regular cab and let me tell ya the stock radio was a real diappointment I was surprised not even an aux jack and with the windows down at highway speeds it was impossible to hear it very well .Called Crutchfield "Awesome Company"and ordered a sony head unit with the aux output on the front they make em with usb and ipod cables also . The radio comes with factory wire plug ins and a dash install kit although I would recomend getting the nicer dash install kit from Schoche.com You dont have to cut your trucks harness and its easy to do did mine in a couple hours. Great instuctions come with the radio or go to *********.com and follow along with the blonde....It is worth doing I am very happy with the radio now

16. Feb 25, 2008 at 3:22 PM
    ZonKs

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Glendale, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Sport DCSB 4x4
    =p
    I think its just called an Ipod Classic. Its this one:

http://www.americanmusical.com/item... MB147LLA&utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=feed&

No I bought it new. Its awesome. I had a sandisk sansa POS for a long time and ever since I had it I wanted something else. The classic is increadible, construction, sound, capacity, etc. I have like 40 albums on it so far and I still have something like 75 GB free.

Why dont you like the newer ones?

Ted

17. Feb 25, 2008 at 4:52 PM
    gdub

gdub Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    tacoma 4x4 Double Cab
  18. Feb 25, 2008 at 6:36 PM
    thallium

thallium Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    The sirius interface package that "gdub" posted is exactly what I have hooked up to my JBL-6 cd changer. It's hooked directly to the back of the auxillary port of the head unit and is turned on by pressing the "AM" button on the radio. I took the dash apart yesterday and took a peek at the back of the radio and it looks like the aux port is being used. the only reason I'm pretty sure it is the toyota sirius interface package is because I had it installed by the toyota dealer and also it is activated by the "AM" button like this one.

So, just to clarify, I'm going to unhook the sirius out of the auxiliary port and plug in the USAspec PA12-Toy into the aux port. The USAspec pa12-toy i'm guessing has an additional female or male pass through that I'll just hook the sirius into? is this correct?

Sorry for the second post, I just want to be sure before I lay down some cash on the usa-spec.

19. Feb 25, 2008 at 6:38 PM
    gdub

gdub Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    tacoma 4x4 Double Cab
    I have one extra AUX that I can plug my Ipod into or whatever. The only thing is it doesn't display on the screen You have to go to Sat 3 and push ch 6

20. Feb 25, 2008 at 6:51 PM
    thallium

thallium Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    gdub, you have an extra aux port? the back of my radio does not have an extra one that I can see. Are you using an aux port off the sirius reciever or something? how did you hook yours up this method? Thanks.

Products Discussed in

To Top