1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is a Utility trailer with a RTT considered an RV?

Discussion in 'Towing' started by takeout007, Jul 13, 2020.

1. Jul 13, 2020 at 2:41 PM
    takeout007

takeout007 [OP] Member

Member:
    I'm curious and for legal and insurance reasons. I've seen some really cool utility trailers converted to have a RTT on top. Once you place a RTT on top does it then get reclassified as a camp trailer or tent trailer (like a popup)?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/sold-custom-off-road-utility-trailer-with-rtt.194531/&psig=AOvVaw12ZvQoKOUMHZ0x-e6-U0aM&ust=1594762515908000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCPDczruYy-oCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAD

UPDATE:
    Found the Answer (at least for Californians):

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/handb...anent-trailer-identification-pti/definitions/

Utility Trailer (CVC§667)—A trailer or semitrailer used solely for the transportation of the user’s personal property, not in commerce, or designed and used for transportation of livestock, and does not exceed a gross weight of 10,000 pounds or a manufacturer’s gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 10,000 pounds.

The addition of living quarters to a trailer does not permanently alter that vehicle for human habitation. The living quarters are secondary or incidental to the primary function of the vehicle, which is transporting property.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
  2. Jul 13, 2020 at 2:43 PM
    Daria

Daria Can I pet your dog? Moderator

Member:
    Dodging tumbleweeds
    Vehicle:
    381 HP dog mover
    I’d check with the dmv/your insurance company. We had a military trailer with RTT set up, it was only registered as a trailer and insured as such.

3. Jul 13, 2020 at 2:55 PM
    Shellshock

Shellshock King Shit of Turd Island

Member:
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra TRD PRO / 2024 GRC Circuit
    It’s going to depend on your state and insurance company. Each one will classify things differently.

4. Jul 13, 2020 at 2:59 PM
    DaveInDenver

DaveInDenver Not Actually in Denver

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Grand Junction
    Vehicle:
    2008 Super White TRDOR AC 6MT
    Unexceptional
    Would this maybe depend on which state you live in? AFAIK here in Colorado the title for a utility trailer will always be a utility trailer, which makes it an extension of your truck legally and as far as my insurance cares.

I've kind of always understood the term "RV" to be generic meaning any of motorhome, pop-up, travel trailer (hard side), etc. The insurance company would only call it a pop-up if that's what the original manufacturer called the frame with the VIN on the title.

The way this gets changes is it becomes a homemade trailer, usually what you'll see there is the back half of a pickup made into a trailer. It's no longer a motor vehicle so the original title is void and a new DIY title is issued after an inspection (it's like a 5 minute thing, they check that it's got lights) by the Highway Patrol.

Another way to look at it is sometimes people take the pop-up body off its original frame and put them on bigger trailers or on the back of a truck to make DIY toy haulers. It's still a utility trailer or truck, not a pop-up camper.

Coleman2.jpg

5. Jul 13, 2020 at 3:42 PM
    NV_Spencer

NV_Spencer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 CREWMAX / 2017 OR DCSB
    Unlikely, at least based on what you're describing. That kind of stuff is usually determined based on the manufacturer classification so I feel like you'd have a "tent on wheels." It gets pretty specific, I was researching how loan interest on a RV is tax deductible but it has to qualify as a "livable dwelling" which means a place to sleep & go to the bathroom. By that definition, although you could definitely live in teardrop trailers or sprinter vans, they wouldn't qualify because they lack a toilet.

6. Jul 15, 2020 at 6:48 AM
    Jaypown

Jaypown Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    NE Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra SR5 Crew Max TRD Sport 4x4
    I always thought RV referred to any motorhome or other camper vehicle that is self powered. Even a Sprinter Camper van. Everything else like travel trailers and popups or 5th wheels I though were considered trailers not RV's (Recreational Vehicle)

7. Jul 15, 2020 at 7:54 AM
    Palpatine

Palpatine Member

Member:
    As others have said, I think it depends on your state. I have a Crux trailer, basically a RTT on a trailer. In AZ I had to register as RV rather than utility trailer. I was told in AZ because I have plumbing (a sink) its an RV. But who knows maybe its just who you get at the DMV.

8. Jul 15, 2020 at 1:38 PM
    takeout007

takeout007 [OP] Member

Member:
    I found the answer to my questions. I'm from California and went through the vehicle registration manual and this:

Utility Trailer (CVC§667)—A trailer or semitrailer used solely for the transportation of the user’s personal property, not in commerce, or designed and used for transportation of livestock, and does not exceed a gross weight of 10,000 pounds or a manufacturer’s gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 10,000 pounds.

The addition of living quarters to a trailer does not permanently alter that vehicle for human habitation. The living quarters are secondary or incidental to the primary function of the vehicle, which is transporting property.

Thanks everyone for their insight.

9. Jul 15, 2020 at 1:42 PM
    Wyoming09

Wyoming09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Tripoli Pa
    Vehicle:
    2000 Work truck 5 speed 4x4 3.4
    Super Springs
    If there was a different class your so called living quarters would need attached in someway to make removing a lot of work

To the point of lots of burning.

10. Jul 15, 2020 at 3:42 PM
    Toyanvil

Toyanvil Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mine was a utility trailer with DMV and State Farm in Ca.
    [​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top