1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is adding heated seats a PITA?

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Col4bin, Dec 17, 2019.

1. Mar 19, 2020 at 7:45 AM
    quantumechanic

quantumechanic Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '22 MGM TRD Off-Road DCLB
    Yes, that is certainly something everyone should weigh. I contacted the manufacturer and according to them, at least for the covers I bought, the current draw is 3 amps each.

I've not had any issues running 2 covers off the console plug. Mine are not often both on at the same time either. The console plug is labeled "12V/120W" which should be 10 amps.

But, yes, each owner needs to decide for themselves. Some covers might also draw more power too.

2. Mar 19, 2020 at 8:05 AM
    PackCon

PackCon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Vehicle:
    2017 Subaru Forester Limited
    Yes. At least in my opinion. Adding heated Clazzios to my truck was an 8 hour job. It wasn’t fun and I hope I never have to do it again.

Was I glad I did it? yes.

but I hope I never have to do it again

I will also say the Clazzio covers are amazing. Love them. But the heated seats are way too hot. Way too hot. Even in days where its below zero I have to turn the seats off the low setting as soon as I feel it start to warm up or it basically lights your ass on fire and gets way too hot.

I’ve never used the seat heaters longer than 5-10 minutes at any one time due to this. So honestly I ask myself why I bothered.

In my Ford I’d leave them on all the time in the winter for a cozy seat.

I think that something to keep in mind if you have something like a remote starter and you were wanting to start your vehicle to warm up your seats before you get to it. Chances are by the time your engine heats up your seats are going to be way too hot by the time you step into it.

So if you wanted to do something like class he goes I may go with a different aftermarket heated seat then what they sell. Or ask them if they’ve changed products in the last few years. I bought my seats back in 2017

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
    Rottencotton likes this.
  3. Mar 19, 2020 at 8:12 AM
    DSRamsey13

DSRamsey13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '23 TRD Pro Solar Octane
    Center console organizer.
    Short answer to the OP: Yes. Especially if you're installing them on the cloth seats. But if you're installing seat covers, they're way easier.

As far as running power... your TACO does have a fuse for heated seats. Of course not all TACOs come with heated seats, but the fuse is still there. I used an add-a-fuse right to that same fuse. You'll also need an ACC line (has 12V when truck is on)... and I just tapped into the socket in the middle console.
    upload_2020-3-19_11-9-15.jpg

Attached Files:

4. Mar 19, 2020 at 8:36 AM
    quantumechanic

quantumechanic Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '22 MGM TRD Off-Road DCLB
    That's good info on the seat heater fuse. I did not know that. Thanks!

DSRamsey13[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Mar 19, 2020 at 9:34 AM
    DSRamsey13

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '23 TRD Pro Solar Octane
    I forgot to mention... even though it's a little PITA, it's totally worth it. The hours you spend with the hassle... you'll thank yourself every time you get your cold ass on them warm ass seats (pun intended).

6. Mar 19, 2020 at 10:19 AM
    Taco_Coma

Taco_Coma That's a lovely accent you have. New Jersey?

Member:
    South NJ
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCSB SR5
    Thanks for the info, Going to be doing trying this again sometime next week. So the power for the seat goes to that slot on the fuse panel, and the switch is to the ACC line?

7. Mar 19, 2020 at 10:36 AM
    DSRamsey13

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '23 TRD Pro Solar Octane
    Depends on which seat heaters you go with. I went with the Besond car seat heaters (link in the "Product Discuss in" below).
    RED wire (+12V 20A circuit) I hooked up to the S/HTR [add-a-] fuse.
    RED/YELLOW Stripe (+12V 5A circuit) wire I tapped into the 12V socket in the middle console.
    YELLOW (+12V 5A circuit) wire I hooked up to the TAIL [add-a-] fuse (2nd one from the top, left column). So when you turn your lights on, the switch lights up with the rest of the dash.
    BLACK (GND) wire I hooked up to a ground screw under the middle console.

Besond will email you their instructions, but you have to request it.

Good luck with the install... pretty straight forward. Post on here if you have any questions.

Danbest82 and Taco_Coma[QUOTED] like this.
  8. Mar 19, 2020 at 10:40 AM
    Tacman19

Tacman19 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Mid Missouri
    Vehicle:
    19 Tacoma SOLD
    As many as I can fabricate
    You forgot one thing. You have to have "man hands" to do this. No shit. I'm talking, 6 lb sledge swingin, bar stool throwin, crush a man's face hands. If you don't have such equipment, call for help cause it will kick you ass, and they will call you "pussy" for life. Lmfao.
    Zim

9. Mar 19, 2020 at 11:01 AM
    hyrule_trd

hyrule_trd It’s a Secret to Everybody

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Harford County, MD
    Vehicle:
    2020 Black TRD OR
    Ironman Stage 1 Foam Cell Pro lift kit, 255/85/16 Cooper ST Maxx, SCS BR6 Wheels, SPC UCA, Heated seats, MESO TRD start button, Meso Total Tail v1, Meso V5 mirror white DRL turns, bed decal, ditch and hidden bumper lights, screen protech, RAV4 radio knobs, steering wheel anytime camera kit, dash cam, ECGS bushing, Timbren Active Off Road bump stops with Wheelers flip kit. 35% Xpel CS Ceramic Tint, KD Max Tune, SumoSprings front bump stops, RRW Sliders ‌ ‌ ▲ ▲‌ ▲
    I’ve been considering this one as well. Once place I read said something about recalibrating the passenger seat if you remove it... does that sound right?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
  10. Mar 19, 2020 at 11:07 AM
    DSRamsey13

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '23 TRD Pro Solar Octane
    Say again?

hyrule_trd[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Mar 19, 2020 at 11:31 AM
    hyrule_trd

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Harford County, MD
    Vehicle:
    2020 Black TRD OR
    Ironman Stage 1 Foam Cell Pro lift kit, 255/85/16 Cooper ST Maxx, SCS BR6 Wheels, SPC UCA, Heated seats, MESO TRD start button, Meso Total Tail v1, Meso V5 mirror white DRL turns, bed decal, ditch and hidden bumper lights, screen protech, RAV4 radio knobs, steering wheel anytime camera kit, dash cam, ECGS bushing, Timbren Active Off Road bump stops with Wheelers flip kit. 35% Xpel CS Ceramic Tint, KD Max Tune, SumoSprings front bump stops, RRW Sliders ‌ ‌ ▲ ▲‌ ▲

Fixed my question but I’ve read one or two threads that the passenger seat needs to be recalibrated after disconnecting and reconnecting it. I’ll have to find the threads again.

12. Mar 19, 2020 at 11:34 AM
    DSRamsey13

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '23 TRD Pro Solar Octane
    What is there to recalibrate?

13. Mar 19, 2020 at 11:44 AM
    svermilyea

svermilyea Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    East Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2018 Taco Sport (Cement)
    3in leveling lift (Coilovers and AAL) 285/65R18 tires 18" Fuel wheel/tire package Pro Grill, Morimoto XB LED Headlights, DD SS3 Pro Fogs Body Armor Front and Rear Bumpers Pioneer WC6600 head unit w/ OEM Audio + Reference 500 System with dedicated sub amp Meso signal lights, gas hole, led interior lights, ECT relocate, Chrome delete kits Meso Overhead Molle Rack, Seat Risers, Katzkin Leather seats (self installed...it was a fucking bitch) VFTuned .....KDMax Pro!
    It was pretty easy and straight forward to put them in as I was installing my Katskin leather seat covers. The only slightly scary part was making holes in my console for the switches (I'm AROC, so everything has to be perfect).

14. Mar 19, 2020 at 11:48 AM
    hyrule_trd

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Harford County, MD
    Vehicle:
    2020 Black TRD OR
    Can’t seem to find the thread, so probably not an issue. IIRC, it was something about making sure the weight sensor works right after disconnecting the seat. Disregard lol.

15. Mar 19, 2020 at 11:50 AM
    DSRamsey13

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '23 TRD Pro Solar Octane
    I can only speak from my experience... I've had no issues. As long as you connect everything back together you should be fine. Again, I installed my seat heaters in between the cloth seat and the seat cover... I didn't take the cloth off and install heat heaters. That is where you may have read of people having issues.

hyrule_trd[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Mar 19, 2020 at 11:51 AM
    hyrule_trd

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Harford County, MD
    Vehicle:
    2020 Black TRD OR
    Thanks, this is definitely one of the mods I want to do...

17. Mar 19, 2020 at 12:31 PM
    SwampThing18

SwampThing18 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM Tacoma Sport
    I'm in the middle of adding seat heaters right now. Doing 1 seat/day (including rear seats) and will do all the wiring on Saturday. I figured I'd leave the passenger seat out while I do the wiring, as it might make removing the center console easier. Anyone know if the truck can be driven with the passenger seat out? Would it cause an airbag issue or something? I probably won't drive it without the seat in, but just if I have to move the truck in the driveway or something... Just don't want to cause a problem by doing something avoidable. Thanks.

And to answer the original question- it's not that bad. There are some good videos on YouTube on how to take your seats out, take the seats apart, how to install heaters... The $20 angled hog ring pliers are well worth it. Amazon includes like 300 rings. I think I've used 20 doing the back seats.

18. Mar 19, 2020 at 1:23 PM
    tacothyme

tacothyme Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    18 DCLB OR
    265/70/17
    Oh yes, I should have led with that. Fortunately this wasn't as hard on the hands as adding sound deadener to every nook and cranny in the doors. Cut up the hands good.

I've done this now on several vehicles and can definitively say, if there is another person there to help - things go MUCH quicker. Man hands or not.

Tacman19[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. Mar 19, 2020 at 1:53 PM
    Tacman19

Tacman19 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Mid Missouri
    Vehicle:
    19 Tacoma SOLD
    As many as I can fabricate
    Hey we will save the window regulator, hamburger hands thread for later....bleed like a stuck pig. LMMFAO. I've got so much scar tissue on my hands I get accused of being a hereon addict...lol. Done hundreds at Kia. (sound deadener would suck canal water).
    Zim

20. Mar 23, 2020 at 5:57 AM
    hyrule_trd

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Harford County, MD
    Vehicle:
    2020 Black TRD OR
    What would you think of using zip ties in place of the rings? Easier? I’ve read some people, on other forums, have found it easier but wanted to get an opinion from someone who’s taken the seats apart.

To Top