1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is An 8" Diamond Axle A Waste of Money?

Discussion in 'Solid Axle Suspension' started by JWaldz, Jan 25, 2016.

1. Feb 8, 2016 at 8:12 PM
    slander

slander Honorary Crawl Boi

Member:
    Hickory, NC
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma, fixed with curse words.
    I would do a crawl box before the sas. Best mod ever!

2. Feb 8, 2016 at 8:29 PM
    JWaldz

JWaldz [OP] It puts the Joe Dirt in the hole

Member:
    First Name:
    Waldo
    Colo Springs
    Vehicle:
    99 4Runner LTD
    I'd love to do them at the same time, that way I only have to have one custom front driveshaft made lol. It's too hard to fit dual cases in an auto 3rd gen. Space is very limited. If I go crawl box first I need to do the f150 tank first before anything.

3. Feb 9, 2016 at 6:49 AM
    slander

slander Honorary Crawl Boi

Member:
    Hickory, NC
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma, fixed with curse words.
    Ive had my front stock shaft redone twice, it was only like 150 bucks each time done locally. Soon to be 3 times. I would not let that hold you back, bang for the buck the crawlbox is the best mod.

JWaldz[OP] likes this.
  4. Feb 16, 2016 at 9:05 PM
    1999RegCab

1999RegCab Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cacti Land, AZ
    Vehicle:
    1999 Reg Cab, 2.7, 5 speed
    3-link SAS
    1) Wait until you wheel a rig with 1tons. That extra weight keep the tires on the ground. It almost makes wheeling too easy lol

2) Everybody says that at first. Trust me...you will go bigger. Most people do eventually.

3) Partially true. There are guys running 40" tires with a frame height of 24-25" - which you can only accomplish if you link it. That's LOW. But yea, you will end up cutting some sheet metal anyway.

4) That's relative. An overly built rig will help you wheel with more confidence, which will help you tackle more difficult trails, which will increase your experience.

5) Not really. Custom housings with toyota parts will be as much, if not more $$$ than 1tons.

6) I see trucks with 1ton axles everyday on the highway :D

I would encourage you to think things through a bit more. Also, if you get a chance to wheel a toyota on 1tons and big tires, please do it. The stability of the full-width axles is super nice, and the extra weight keep the tires on the ground more than with lighter axles.

Oooops: edit. Never mind. Just read above that you put a deposit on a Diamond axle. So ignore everything I said LOL

But since you are thinking about transfer case options, please do yourself a favor and consider getting an Atlas tcase when you can afford it.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
    JWaldz[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  5. Feb 19, 2016 at 8:48 AM
    sasquatch95

sasquatch95 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hunter
    nanaimo BC
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB sport
    Sorry for the thread jack but this seems like a good place to ask? I'm planning on going with a 2+lt front and having diamond make me a custom 9.5 full floater for the rear. I want to have my front and rear track width be the same would I need a 69wms to Wms? Second gen taco.

Products Discussed in

To Top