1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is anyone thinking about waiting for the Jeep Wrangler Truck?

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by Costaco, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Nov 2, 2017 at 1:12 PM
    BraskaTaco

BraskaTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TRD OR
    Would be interesting if it was offered with a 6 foot bed.

2. Nov 2, 2017 at 1:12 PM
    stealthmode

stealthmode Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2016 Short N Stubby Bed- MGM
    Front and Rear lifts Tires ECGS bushing Lots of other crap +HP sticker
    Take a serious look at Ranger when it comes out next year. If the same kind of attention to detail to make the F150 blow the competition out of the water( in sales ), keep an eye out.
    I'd like to see a turbo 4, long bed, double cab, 4x4 with nice interior options for configuration. Properly configured I bet towing could be ~5000 lb for a four cyl.

Costaco[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  3. Nov 2, 2017 at 1:20 PM
    th365thli

th365thli Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn Quad Cab
    As a fellow Californian I find this very hard to believe. I commute 80mph all the time. I'm not gonna call you a liar so maybe the truck you rented had some quirks or issues

4. Nov 2, 2017 at 1:22 PM
    stealthmode

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    No there are company's like GM and Ford teaming up so stay ahead of the game and co develop 8 - 10 And 12 speed transmissions that shift like butter. Mated to a proper engine / shift management systems.

Costaco[OP] and Fortunt1 like this.
  5. Nov 2, 2017 at 1:24 PM
    stealthmode

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    Cuz it bogs in 1st 2nd and 3rd unless you rev it out ! Lol. Poor Toyota engineers...

6. Nov 2, 2017 at 2:07 PM
    jsinnard

jsinnard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    16 QS DCLB OR 4X4
    Is there something wrong with revving out?

I guess you never drove a truck with the 22r and a 4 speed manual on the highway before, revving it out never hurt the truck.

PROseur and Fortunt1 like this.
  7. Nov 2, 2017 at 3:19 PM
    stealthmode

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    Nope never driven that! Such a noob! Only non castered manual vehicles for the last 20 years. I guess my expectations are a little high for 2017.
    Read up on the OV reflash thread. Youll understand how Toyota cheaped out on the fine tuning of our drivetrain management programming.

8. Nov 2, 2017 at 3:30 PM
    jsinnard

jsinnard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    16 QS DCLB OR 4X4
    Don't need to read up on it as I have no problem with how my truck drives now.

If people want to explore ECU mapping it's usually the aftermarket that finds solutions to get more performance out of the stock tune. Toyota isnt the only company to use a mild tune in some of their products.

9. Nov 2, 2017 at 7:36 PM
    skiploder

skiploder Personally holding a grudge against Falken

Member:
    Somewhere NE of Kanab
    Vehicle:
    FZJ80/XJ LS swap
    Oh no you didn't!

jsinnard[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Nov 2, 2017 at 7:39 PM
    Drainbung

Drainbung Somedays you are the show....

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Fallabama, NV
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB
    TRD Fleshlight
    The original Scrambler was a CJ8

upload_2017-11-2_19-39-41.jpg

11. Nov 3, 2017 at 12:24 PM
    Glamisman

Glamisman Well-Known Member

Member:
    I hadn't even considered a Jeep as a replacement vehicle because they didnt have a truck. I am a Ford guy for all of its pluses and minuses. I saw the click bait on a web page and as I looked into the Jeep it started to look more and more appealing. If Toyota would offer a diesel option, it would be a no brainer. Fords, Chevys, Rams diesels are in the $60k + price range. The Nissan Titan diesel, overpriced and I am still reviewing reports... most peeps think the mpg is not what it should be. Full frame, 4 door, 4WD, diesel (not sure if manual trans with diesel), removable hard top, decent towing, but a short bed.

I have written Fords off of the short list... everytime I visit my buddy at the Ford dealer there is a truck with the cab off getting work done on the motor... it isnt the motor work that is the issue, it is the having to take the cab off for repairs... I own my vehicles for decades, not to when the warranty expires.

My Chevy truck 03 HD 8.1L crew cab LB is decent truck... I can afford the 5 mpg towing the 5th wheel, thats all she does. I had to put a radiator in her a year ago and I didnt have time to do it myself. The shop I had do the work were experienced enough... the issue was with Chevy and where they decided to place the control modules for the trans and engine. The trans module is mounted on the top of the radiator and the engine pcm is on the frame under the battery... both real good places, constant heat on one and battery acid on the other... real frickin smart GM. There was a check engine light related to communication betweent the TCM and PCM that required an additional $300 to fix. I cant blame the radiator shop for GM's lack of foresight. So, Chevy's are off the list.

I will take a good look see at the Jeep when I can, probably Juneish of 2018?

12. Nov 3, 2017 at 12:48 PM
    AllisFan

AllisFan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    On the market as it were
    Eh

They let the last Ranger die on the vine and marveled how sales declined after 13 years with no real changes amid stiff competition. Then until recently they constantly screeched out the T-6 was too close to the F-150 in size and that nobody would want it. The Ranger is coming at us on the cheap, just a facelift and powertrain overhaul. If sales are not awesome with their minimal investment on bringing the Ranger back they will say "told you so" and kill it. I don't know how enthusiastic they are at it coming back...

I hope they put a solid effort into it... but the Ranger never really got a solid effort. But then in the past it worked out for a pretty good truck so maybe this will too. I do hope they can ditch the crossover looking front end.

13. Nov 3, 2017 at 2:03 PM
    stealthmode

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    Good points. I read a few times that they don't want to take away from the F150 when asked if they would bring it back.
    Seems like a good time for them to shake it up though. Given GM, Honda :)poking:), Nissan (soon) all updated.

Also read that their "performance line" of vehicles over next few years will stretch to something like ~10 vehicles. And if you do the math, Raptor, GT350, RS, Fiesta, Fusion... I'm struggling to name the last spots...
    So if they make a solid effort at a Mini Raptor Ranger we could have a game on.
    I would say GM did a pretty decent job with theirs. So I would hope they are going to offer a solid package.

Costaco[OP] likes this.
  14. Nov 3, 2017 at 2:53 PM
    Costaco

Costaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    California
    It sounds like it takes 7-10k miles to get the ECU to learn how I drive and get accustomed to
    The truck variant (Scrambler) is due around 2019 from what I read. Hopefully I read it wrong and it's going to be sooner..

15. Nov 3, 2017 at 11:22 PM
    Glamisman

Glamisman Well-Known Member

Member:
    I did a bit of research about the possibility of a diesel option in an upcoming Tacoma... from what I gather Toyota is considering it but they make so much money off of the current offerings that they are really interested in filling what would be a small market of diesel buyers.

as to the Ford Ranger, I have one of those also... 2001 Edge Edition 4.0, 4X4, automatic 5 speed, supercab, 4:10 L/S... nice truck but it has to be one of the MOST difficult vehicles to work on. Changing spark plugs is a nightmare. I put a motor in her here 6 months back and it took every tool in the tool box... you cant take 2 fasteners off without changing extensions or socket sizes... I cant wait till I get rid of it. My Tacomas on the other hand... easy, easy, easy to work on.

Costaco[OP] likes this.
  16. Nov 4, 2017 at 1:09 AM
    Costaco

Costaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    California
    This is one of my larger concerns. I know that modern stuff can be a bit harder to work on. Glad the current Tacoma isn't inundated with crazy tech yet. But is getting some new features for 18 Tss... Sometimes I wonder if it's worth it to just pay to get work done now

17. Nov 4, 2017 at 1:14 AM
    jmaack

jmaack Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Helena Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Skewped hood silver 4runner
    Ome, Sqeak free dakars, arms, skids, sliders.
    Wanted so bad the last 10 years they have been teasing this model. They didn't deliver so I bought a Tacoma. I'm satisfied md won't get a one. Unless they make a Rubicon then I may.

18. Nov 12, 2017 at 11:29 AM
    cruxofthebisquit

cruxofthebisquit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Orange Texas
    Vehicle:
    2000 TRD
    OME and worth every penny.
    drive by wire exacerbates the underpowered feeling in vehicles IMO. Everything feels like it has a light switch (dimmer more like) in everything I've driven that has it.
    Seems like every new motorcycle fights with the throttle for a couple of years whenever a model/ engine is introduced.

19. Nov 25, 2017 at 9:22 AM
    Bear Flag

Bear Flag Member

Member:
    SF Bay Area
    Yes but no--not enough to wait. My family had a Scrambler growing up and it was great, as a kid I went on tons of camping trips in it. I drove it in college, and it was a chick magnet, and short enough in overall length that it was easy to fit into any parking spot, which was useful as a pizza delivery driver.

The solid front axle and the tons of aftermarket options, with an overall length short enough to fit into tight parking spaces in parking garages and the city, are the key features.

Jeep's overall reliability ratings as a brand are bottom of the barrel. But my Uncle, who used to build his own race cars and raced the Mexican 1000 but now is too old/lazy to do any work himself, has had no problems with his 2008 Jeep 4-door Wrangler. The official MPGs of Jeeps are about the same as mid-size pickups, so I don't see what the problem is there.

As for you guys who complain about the ride quality, you should have tried driving 200+ mile road trips in the old Jeeps. I grew up doing it so it was completely normal to me. So what we have today is more luxury than we need. Although I do appreciate modern pickups with IFS after a 12 hour drive.

20. Nov 27, 2017 at 4:05 PM
    shakerhood

shakerhood Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DCSB Off Road, 6 Speed MT, P&T
    Everything today is packed in and pretty difficult to get to.
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/this-mother-fckin-mechanic-said.521733/#post-16554802

Products Discussed in

To Top